Is 5 LOR's too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Induc(junc)tion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question is as above. Heres the story. I submitted two letters initially to each program when I sent out my application September 2nd. They consisted of a kick ass family practice letter and another kick ass OB/GYN letter. I now have two anesthesia letters, and have one more on the way by then end of next week. The 1st anesthesia letter that I have now is good, but generic for the most part. The 2nd is solid, very personalized and from a vice chair of a department with a residency. The third that I have not yet gotten will be from the chairman of the previously mentioned program. I am expecting a good one, but may be generic, may not, who knows.

1. Should I send out the two anesthesia letters that I have now, and then send out the third one when it comes.

2. Or should I wait till I get the third one, and then send the two best?

I am just wondering, because the fact that my application is not complete and does not contain any anesthesia letters may be hindering my interview invite potential, no? Are 5 letters too much, if they are all good?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Question is as above. Heres the story. I submitted two letters initially to each program when I sent out my application September 2nd. They consisted of a kick ass family practice letter and another kick ass OB/GYN letter. I now have two anesthesia letters, and have one more on the way by then end of next week. The 1st anesthesia letter that I have now is good, but generic for the most part. The 2nd is solid, very personalized and from a vice chair of a department with a residency. The third that I have not yet gotten will be from the chairman of the previously mentioned program. I am expecting a good one, but may be generic, may not, who knows.

1. Should I send out the two anesthesia letters that I have now, and then send out the third one when it comes.

2. Or should I wait till I get the third one, and then send the two best?

I am just wondering, because the fact that my application is not complete and does not contain any anesthesia letters may be hindering my interview invite potential, no? Are 5 letters too much, if they are all good?

Thanks for any help.

if the program asks for 3 letters...they don't want to read 5...just my thoughts on it...besides....ERAS only lets you upload 4 letters, right? If you deselect a letter and add a different letter...you can't guarantee that the program sees all of them...plus...is the 5th letter you submit going to say something about you the other 4 don't? If you were a PD and everyone ignored the 3 LOR thing and sent in 5...would you be happy? I am sure you aren't the only one to try and do this and I understand that you want to give yourself a leg up and be competitive...but I really think you should pick out the 4 best letters max and go with it.. just my 2 cents and I'm no expert...but I think 5 is overkill...the PDs are pros at this application review stuff and I don't think that even if it was possible to submit a 5th letter that a 5th letter would sway them...if they wanted 5...they would tell everyone to send in 5

no offense really...just my opinion

No problem. Thanks for the help. Now I am wondering if I should wait till the third anesthesia letter arrives to see which two I will send, or just send the two that I have now, completing my application sans the MSPE.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem. Thanks for the help. Now I am wondering if I should wait till the third anesthesia letter arrives to see which two I will send, or just send the two that I have now, completing my application sans the MSPE.

you could always send in the one anesthesia letter that is really good and wait for the 4th and decide then because 3 letters makes an application complete at lots of programs...and you already know you like the one letter a lot...then when the other one comes in you can go ahead and add it...just don't designate the letter to schools yet until you decide which 4th letter you want to choose

just send the two you have, step back, take a deep breath and relax.

just send the two you have, step back, take a deep breath and relax.

Easier said than done. Anyways, one last question. So is sending 4 letters to all programs across the board is okay, considering some will only require three?

Easier said than done. Anyways, one last question. So is sending 4 letters to all programs across the board is okay, considering some will only require three?

honestly...I think it's a judgement call...if that 4th letter is stellar...or if you think it will help, you can go ahead...I think the silently understood rule is 3 letters min and 4 letters max...if you really want to send that 4th letter (which I know you do) then go ahead...they may or may not read it...who knows...but no more than 4

I wish it were cut and dry, but you really just have to decide what you want to do...you can send 4 to some but not all...it really is up to you