Is a $100,000 donation enough to get me into a public med school???!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milhouse Van Houten

Reaction score
check this out. all i really want to do is get into my state's public school, for which tuition is about 10000 per year. private schools to which i have been accepted are almost 35000 per year. over four years, for tuition only, that's $40,000 for the public, and $140,000 for the private. that's a $100,000 difference. if i'm willing to go to a private school and take out massive loans but i really want to go to a public school, why not loan out the $140,000 and then just donate $100,000 to the public school so they accept you. is that a significant enough donation??? of course i'm just joking about this, but i wonder if some people have done it!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a neat idea but I don't think it would fly. It would be difficult to borrow that extra $25,000 each year as the loan packages offered are based on the cost of the school. It is not a free-for-all when taking out loans.

Over the course of this application process I have both read of and met a number of individuals who had either inherited a large sum of wealth or are non-trads who hit it big with a .com in the mid 90's. Many people also have parents that could drop $100,000 as easy as I buy a pack of gum. If you were going to buy your way into med. school I would think that it would take a lot more than $100K, otherwise all these folks would be doing it. Who knows though...it would be pretty funny for you to donate the money and then have them still reject you. "Ummm, can I have my money back."

Members don't see this ad :)
And, although I hate to bring this up, it's not really all that ethical...

From a practical standpoint, I think you would have to donate much more than $100,000. there is some risk to the school by doing this - if it were to hit the press that a public school had preferably admitted someone who had made a substantial donation to the school, there would be an uproar.

And, I'm not sure that the adcoms are all that connected to the fundraising department. The adcom might not even be aware of the donation, and even if they were, they might not care.

An uproar for admission based on donations? Um...no, it would not cause an uproar. It wouldn't cause a whisper. Happens every day at least, if not because of money, because of some other connection, like being a legacy.