Is a C+ worth retaking for sGPA improvement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epox16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C+ in general chemistry II my freshman year and I just graduated in December. It seems like most DO schools require a retake if you get a C or below in the required prereqs, but if retaking the C+ course as part of an informal post-bac will raise my sGPA faster than just taking extra (more advanced) classes would, is it worth it to retake? Or will the schools look down on me retaking this particular class instead of trying to take higher level courses? I'm planning on taking two or three upper level lab biology courses as well as this retake to improve my sGPA. Right now I'm sitting around a 3.0 and with the retake and a few additional A's, it should be up to around 3.3.

Not to mention retaking genchem will definitely give me some helpful review for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If it bumps up ur GPA past 3.4ish (if you ace it) then retake it.

2-3 upper lab bio courses along with gen chem and MCAT prep sounds like a lot.

My advisor always said to only retake a class if you KNOW you can get a solid A. Taking the class and not getting an A (due to work, other classes, whatever) just reinforces that you didn't master the material.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it worth it= yes, if you get an A. Is it vital= probably not.

With a 3.0 cGPA, you need all the GPA help you can get, so yes, retake it.

I got a C+ in general chemistry II my freshman year and I just graduated in December. It seems like most DO schools require a retake if you get a C or below in the required prereqs, but if retaking the C+ course as part of an informal post-bac will raise my sGPA faster than just taking extra (more advanced) classes would, is it worth it to retake? Or will the schools look down on me retaking this particular class instead of trying to take higher level courses? I'm planning on taking two or three upper level lab biology courses as well as this retake to improve my sGPA. Right now I'm sitting around a 3.0 and with the retake and a few additional A's, it should be up to around 3.3.

Not to mention retaking genchem will definitely give me some helpful review for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users

Is that 3.3 with the retake and more A's vs. more A's and without retake at 3.29 or 3.1 or?? How much by itself will it additionally bump your sgpa?

Biochem will be infinitely more helpful for the MCAT, so is that in your plan?

I didn't read your first thread carefully enough. with a 3.o, retake anything you can. It's an incredible opportunity that not enough people utilize.

I would retake. Gen Chem is foundation of conversions and chemistry concepts. You did not state why you made a C+. It's an easy class, a lot easier than medical school or upper level undergrad classes. You should have an A or B IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile