is a transition from retail to managed care possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaSsHeAd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been in retail for 5+ years now, but only been working as an RPh for about 6 months since i’m a new grad. However, i’m finding it very hard to adjust from being a tech to a being pharmacist and am already burned out. I’m looking to explore the managed care arena and if anyone can offer me any advice on how to go about doing that, i’d really appreciate it.

Any organizations to join, conferences or networking events to attend, or anything else i could be doing right now to build up my CV? I have no residency or prior managed care experience so i know that already puts me at the bottom of the totem poll but i’m willing to still try. Retail just isn’t for me :(

Members don't see this ad.

Could you elaborate more on what you do in retail pharmacy and how it has made you feel burned out? What about your student loans, how much do you owe? I am an international student considering this field, but after seeing a lot of people commenting on the horrid work conditions in most retail chains as well as the absurd difference in loan that I'd have to take even in the cheapest school, I am really reconsidering my decision before entering.

There is a general trend in retail pharmacy of being understaffed and your superiors expecting you to deal with the added workload by working off the clock. Add also the metrics and other foolish busywork they expect you to do while they cut hours. Our hours got cut when flu season was beginning, which makes no sense. And this is just one example i am going to state to prevent this post form being too long.

Some people, however, thrive in this environment and see no issues with it but I am not one of those people. My physical and emotional well being are suffering doing a job I dislike.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I have been in retail for 5+ years now, but only been working as an RPh for about 6 months since i’m a new grad. However, i’m finding it very hard to adjust from being a tech to a being pharmacist and am already burned out. I’m looking to explore the managed care arena and if anyone can offer me any advice on how to go about doing that, i’d really appreciate it.

Any organizations to join, conferences or networking events to attend, or anything else i could be doing right now to build up my CV? I have no residency or prior managed care experience so i know that already puts me at the bottom of the totem poll but i’m willing to still try. Retail just isn’t for me :(

very very hard to transition. I have seen it happen but my friend took 2-3 years of contract work to finally land a FT offer. You have to be in a good location too.

very very hard to transition. I have seen it happen but my friend took 2-3 years of contract work to finally land a FT offer. You have to be in a good location too.

Is your friend part of the SDN forums? Is it possible for you to reach out to him or her for me? I figured the transition will be difficult and I will take all the advice I can get. All I have is retail experience and never did anything outside of that (excluding APPE and IPPE expereinces), but not due to lack of trying, so I want to try again.

I've seen 10-year retail folks maneuver to managed care.

If anything, it's probably an easier transition then you think if you haven't lost any of your clinical knowledge (in addition to your understanding/experience with insurance and dealing with people) and have been keeping up with all of the pharmacy newsletter.