• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Is anyone else already getting only 5hrs of sleep?

nishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
    I just can't believe that I am just 2 weeks into the start of the semester and I have already had several nights of sleeping only 4 hours or 5 hours. I don't see how I can keep this up until April. I think I am doing too many extracurriculars :(

Twitch

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 17, 2004
    1. Medical Student
      You're lucky. This week I'm on q1 on call rotation. Nothing like some pager duty all night long in addition to working all day and going to classes at nights/weekends. If someone says they can do it without burning out for years -> they're lying.

I'm on year 9 and I'm so sick of it. Atleast if the oncall was medically related I'd be more challenged. This stuff I'm on call for is the pits. They pay a heck of a lot, so that's why I stick around. But it'll catchup to you. So get some sleep!

About the Ads

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Dec 26, 2004
      Silver Spring, Maryland
        I've pretty much cut my days down to the bare necessities --> studying for regular classes, studying and practicing for the MCAT, and working out

I've told my friends I'd rarely be available this semester...and though its frigging hard, I have to turn them down a lot to stick to my schedule as of now. Getting about 5-6 hours of sleep a night...but always end up taking a 3 hour nap somewhere during the day...I can't resist :(

Jonathan13180

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jan 30, 2004
          When i studied this time last year i was working 10 hour days in a lab, coming home, getting more of the sweet stuff (coffee), and then hitting the books only to get 4 hours of sleep and repeat the day over. Its tough, but just think of the rewards, namely, the letter you receive saying that youve been accepted.
          I found/find that getting one or two good nights of sleep/wk is sufficient to keep you going. On fri or sat night stay in and just relax, get as much sleep as you can. Goodluck.

tigress

queen of the jungle
          10+ Year Member
          Nov 29, 2004
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            I don't function without enough sleep. I wish I could get only 5 hours a night! I really need the extra time. Especially now that I broke my right arm, and everything is taking about 3x as long as before. It's really screwing with my studying (well it's gonna, I just broke it last night) because I still have to write papers and things for school, which means a lot of left-handed single hand typing. I'm already getting better at it but it's still awfully tedious!

musiclink213

My room is a mess
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Oct 20, 2003
            New York
            1. Medical Student
              tigress said:
              I don't function without enough sleep. I wish I could get only 5 hours a night! I really need the extra time. Especially now that I broke my right arm, and everything is taking about 3x as long as before. It's really screwing with my studying (well it's gonna, I just broke it last night) because I still have to write papers and things for school, which means a lot of left-handed single hand typing. I'm already getting better at it but it's still awfully tedious!

you could always get one of those voice recognition things that will put your words on the screen. breaking your arm definitly sucks though. when i broke my wrist, i accidently got the cast wet trying to wash my hands, big mistake. it starts to stink, really bad. and the itching will drive you crazy. when you go in the shower, use two heavy duty trash bags and if you can, a rubber band at the top. if not, duct tape. i've had lots of experience with attempting to shower with casts on, though it's usually on my ankle, not my arm.

maybe i shouldn't bring up to the adcom's how often i'm on crutches. although with my luck, when i go for interviews, i'll probably have my ankle in a big old cast or brace thingie. oh well, i guess it's my own fault i'm a klutz, and i don't like staying inactive.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.