Is app submission post-June 1or post-start of school's app review "late?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCDavispremed92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In short, what I'm asking is whether there is an effective disadvantage to taking MCAT May 19 (considered reschedule-to; results June 19) vs. April 21 (currently scheduled; results May 22) in terms of it being a late application.

While submitting after June 1 is obviously late relative to this earliest day of application submission, is an application effectively "late," in terms of being at a relative disadvantage, if the school to which you are applying does not start reviewing applications (as listed on MSAR, though dates refer to 2017) until after your application is received?

Unless schools have made significant changes to when they start application review in 2018 (if this is the case or you can direct me to 2018 dates, let me know), a solid ~80% of start in the June 30 - July 10 range. When a school initiates the application review process within these dates, does an application submitted June 1 take precedence over one submitted June 19?

Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

If you submitted your app June 19th, it'd take probably around 2-3 weeks to get verified by AMCAS and assuming there are no red flags on it, be sent out to the schools on your list. After that, schools that don't really screen primaries will send you a secondary within a few days while schools that do screen primaries can take any time between 2 weeks to 4 months to send you a secondary. So, the earliest you could submit a secondary to a school (If you pre-wrote them) would be early to mid July probably which is still inline with other applicants who submitted the first day AMCAS opened. Do note that schools don't send out secondaries until the beginning of July anyway but the time it takes for your app to be verified can vary from year to year as well.

Best thing to do though is to always take the MCAT when you're truly prepared. Everything else comes after. So, if you think you wanna push it back, I don't think it's a big deal. I took my MCAT at the end of June (So results didn't come back til the end of July) and still received pretty early interview invites.

Of course, I was on top of the other parts of my application and still submitted it early (Without the MCAT since you can submit it to get it processed but it's a gamble since you won't have your score). For example, my personal statement was already been pretty much done before I even started studying for my MCAT (Worked on a lot of it over Christmas and New years) and I also at least had a very comprehensive resume/CV that I could transfer over to the AMCAS relatively smoothly so this took much less time for me, and I could do it in between my studying allowing me to submit my AMCAS as soon as I could (again, gambling on a decent score for my MCAT).

After taking my MCAT at the end of June, spent most of July writing secondaries and submitted most of them by end of July to mid august.

Risky path though so I wouldn't push it that far if I were you, but I think you're still considered early if they're all in by mid august.

I am wondering the same thing! I can’t take my mcat earlier than may 19 because of school, so will we be at a disadvantage? I’ve heard some people submit their app on June 1 to a throwaway school or a school they think they can get into based on predicted mcat, and then once scores come in, they add the list of schools based on their score to amcas. Thoughts on this method??

I am wondering the same thing! I can’t take my mcat earlier than may 19 because of school, so will we be at a disadvantage? I’ve heard some people submit their app on June 1 to a throwaway school or a school they think they can get into based on predicted mcat, and then once scores come in, they add the list of schools based on their score to amcas. Thoughts on this method??

That's definitely a viable method (And the one I chose since I took my MCAT late). It most definitely won't put you at a disadvantage and if it does, it is extremely minimal. As I stated above though, if taking this route, it's key to make sure your primaries are absolutely done, reviewed, edited, and complete for submission on June 1st which can take more time than most people think so keep that in mind.

Again, submitting it early to a few schools really just allows it to be verified by the AMCAS as soon as possible since submitting too late can take up to a month for verification (Meaning schools will be receiving your primary application very late and therefore pushing back your app). Also, like I said above, submitting your AMCAS on June 19th has traditionally taken around 20-25 days for verification on average, could be sooner, could be later, but this would still allow you to send in secondaries by mid July (If prewritten) which is still pretty early in my books. This time difference is minimal to me but if you think it makes a difference then absolutely submit your AMCAS at the beginning of June to a few schools just to get it verified. (This is the route I took and knew I would be completing a few secondaries regardless of my score anyway since I wasn't bombing it or anything in my FLs).

Members don't see this ad :)
That's definitely a viable method (And the one I chose since I took my MCAT late). It most definitely won't put you at a disadvantage and if it does, it is extremely minimal. As I stated above though, if taking this route, it's key to make sure your primaries are absolutely done, reviewed, edited, and complete for submission on June 1st which can take more time than most people think so keep that in mind.

Again, submitting it early to a few schools really just allows it to be verified by the AMCAS as soon as possible since submitting too late can take up to a month for verification (Meaning schools will be receiving your primary application very late and therefore pushing back your app). Also, like I said above, submitting your AMCAS on June 19th has traditionally taken around 20-25 days for verification on average, could be sooner, could be later, but this would still allow you to send in secondaries by mid July (If prewritten) which is still pretty early in my books. This time difference is minimal to me but if you think it makes a difference then absolutely submit your AMCAS at the beginning of June to a few schools just to get it verified. (This is the route I took and knew I would be completing a few secondaries regardless of my score anyway since I wasn't bombing it or anything in my FLs).

Glad to hear about another person doing this! Thanks for your input.

I will be doing the single-school June 1 primary with no MCAT thing as you did. I'm not in school right now so I think secondary application writing should be manageable, though I'll probably do little else from late June (starting templates of most likely secondaries I will receive) into ~early/mid-July when they're received and then returned ASAP. I will have some help with this (got to pay to play). Even though I probably have a bit more time to dedicate than most, with only part-time work and no school, do you think I should start to compensate for the short turnaround to some degree considering how long primary/secondary writing took in your experience?

Did you get the primary app done that early using a template from last year that ended up being the same? Blank primary apps to be filled out are not released until May, right?

Do you think I should do some early work on secondaries (from last year's templates) from schools I am highly likely to receive secondaries from during MCAT prep as well to chip away at that a bit, or too soon?

Thanks

I will be doing the single-school June 1 primary with no MCAT thing as you did. I'm not in school right now so I think secondary application writing should be manageable, though I'll probably do little else from late June (starting templates of most likely secondaries I will receive) into ~early/mid-July when they're received and then returned ASAP. I will have some help with this (got to pay to play). Even though I probably have a bit more time to dedicate than most, with only part-time work and no school, do you think I should start to compensate for the short turnaround to some degree considering how long primary/secondary writing took in your experience?

Did you get the primary app done that early using a template from last year that ended up being the same? Blank primary apps to be filled out are not released until May, right?

Do you think I should do some early work on secondaries (from last year's templates) from schools I am highly likely to receive secondaries from during MCAT prep as well to chip away at that a bit, or too soon?

Thanks

To begin with, I wouldn't worry about secondaries at all until your primary is in and you've finished your MCAT. Now that that's out of the way, I, and most people, would recommend getting your personal statement done before the AMCAS even opens (which is at the beginning of May). I wouldn't worry about working on writing out your 3 significant experiences and EC's until the AMCAS opens since this should be a relatively quick transition from your CV/Resume to the AMCAS (Of course, this is only easy if your CV/Resume is up to date). I had my personal statement complete before the AMCAS opened then filled out the rest of it during down time between classes and studying for the test.

Secondaries generally vary in how long they'll take you to finish. Some schools, like UCLA, for example have very long secondaries with multiple questions on them that will take much longer than others that will only have maybe one or two essay questions for you to answer. You should begin writing these immediately after you've finished your MCAT for the schools you know for sure you want to apply to and you know will send you a secondary no matter what (California schools screen primaries pretty heavily and only send out a handful of secondary applications so if you're applying there then maybe wait til you actually receive the secondary). Additionally, a lot of the questions from the schools can be adapted to other schools which does make it somewhat more manageable to write them within a short amount of time. Just make sure you don't write the name of one school you're applying to and sending it to another (yikes!).

Since you're going to be taking your MCAT on the 19th, you'll have plenty of time to start drafting up some secondaries between that and when schools actually start sending them out (Beginning of July).

Bottom line (What I'd do if I were you)
1. Get your personal statement done, reviewed, and edited before the AMCAS opens during your off time (not studying or working, etc.)
2. Check to see if your resume/CV is up to date and make sure you've got the major parts of it bulleted down (What you did, what you learned, etc.).
3. Prepare for MCAT (Didn't mention this before but start asking for letters of rec!!)
4. May: AMCAS opens - spend time periodically updating it and get it complete before June 1st (I usually did the majority of it after completing a FL since i'd be too tired to continue studying or do anything else so I could just brainlessly transfer things from my CV to the AMCAS and of course review it later)
5. June 1st. Submit.
6. All in on MCAT and take it (Only focus on this after you've submitted!)
7. Start secondaries after MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely stellar advice. I will be referencing your post going forward. Your approach and outlook are much the same as mine and it is great to see that it has served you well.

Wish you the absolute best

Absolutely stellar advice. I will be referencing your post going forward. Your approach and outlook are much the same as mine and it is great to see that it has served you well.

Wish you the absolute best

No prob! Good luck to ya as well! Being from the UC's will make it more difficult but you got this!