Is applying within the week too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILikeFood

NSU Class of 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to collect my transcripts next week and fill out the primary on Tuesday. I have letters, grades, volunteer experience and the like, and am just waiting on my MCAT score (God help me).

Too late? Send in ASAP?

PS. I just got a DO letter. Whoo hoo!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to collect my transcripts next week and fill out the primary on Tuesday. I have letters, grades, volunteer experience and the like, and am just waiting on my MCAT score (God help me).

Too late? Send in ASAP?

Why are you "collecting" your transcripts? You just request to have them sent to the proposed location. Get those sent in and enter your grades as soon as possible. It isn't too late but it is getting later, especially with a 4 week lag time.

Too late? Send in ASAP?

Better plan: Get an AACOMAS ID, get the address to send transcripts to, and tell your schools to send transcripts today! Who knows, they might get them in the mail today. Better than waiting an extra week!! Plus this will only take like 20 minutes, then you can continue the app when you have more time on Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea. I had to have transcripts from 3 different schools. One of them took 2 weeks to mail, so get the ball rolling.

Stop thinking about it... Stop planning. Send in your materials and be done with it. Each day the applicant pool becomes larger for fewer remaining spots. Your AACOMAS is going to take as long as 4 weeks to process. GO.

So I was wrong in my reasoning that since most app's deadlines weren't due till Feb for some schools, that I could wait some time to apply?

Crappp

Definitely do: 1) set up AACOMAS account 2) request Transcript to be sent out NOW using ID by AACOMAS 3) release your MCAT score to AACOMAS 3) Complete aacomas application & pay

The time of submission wouldn't count until your transcripts are received and when you're paid. But it takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks from that time until you're verified. The trend is more of the 6 weeks for completion. Until then, you're not going to receive any secondaries.

People are already done with their invites and have acceptance already!
GO GO GO!

So I was wrong in my reasoning that since most app's deadlines weren't due till Feb for some schools, that I could wait some time to apply?

Crappp

Put everything on hold except exam studying and DO THIS NOW. If you hurry now you may be able to tell the family you have an acceptance by Xmas :)

Most schools have rolling admissions and people were able to submit their AACOMAS back in June... I was mad too, because somehow my premed dept at PSU never told me all that applying to med school entailed. When I called them out on it they said, "didn't you get the emails." The answer, of course, was NO.

Why are you "collecting" your transcripts? You just request to have them sent to the proposed location. Get those sent in and enter your grades as soon as possible. It isn't too late but it is getting later, especially with a 4 week lag time.

Better plan: Get an AACOMAS ID, get the address to send transcripts to, and tell your schools to send transcripts today! Who knows, they might get them in the mail today. Better than waiting an extra week!! Plus this will only take like 20 minutes, then you can continue the app when you have more time on Tuesday.

Oh crap, do I need the "Transcript Request Form?"

Crap, I sent out two of my transcripts before I registered with AACOMAS. Didn't see it till later. Crap.

They're going to the right address, just w/o my AACOMAS ID attached. Should I resend?

I never used the official "form". I just went online and requested it. The form probably won't hurt.

I am on the extreme side of things, but I submitted the vast majority of my secondaries about 2 months ago...if not more. I have a few still floating around but not many.

I'm just now (the past 2 weeks) getting interview invites.

so how late is too late?

I finished OChem this past summer midway through august. I am in "verification" mode (submitted 8/29), and just waiting for it to be finished. I have some essays prepped for the secondaries and all of my LOR's are ready. Did I miss the boat? Are interviews during october/november (most likely given the current pace of things) to late? Or is this when most people are in the process and I am just worried because things take time.

IamAriDO

You didn't miss the boat by any means. The longer you wait, the tougher the odds. Nearly all the schools are rolling admissions. They want to do their best to solidify a class as early as possible. By applying later you increase your chance of interviewing for a waitlist rather than a standard spot. Just get your stuff out. I am always hesitant to say it is "too late". I've met people apply in january who got in. I just wouldn't count on that.

Here is what you need to do:

You need to have your personal statement DONE and ready to submit.

You need to fill out everything, including grades, in progress classes and future classes on aacomas.

You need to get your current transcripts sent in asap.

You need to have a committee, or 2 science letters and a non-science letter sitting at your premed office or interfolio or whatever ready to be sent out.

Once verified you fill out those secondaries the DAY they come in. Get your name in that hat as fast as possible. While adcoms make sure they hold on a few seats for later applicants, you usually have to be a bit stronger to get an outright acceptance the later it is. That is a trend and by no means the standard, but my 2 years on these boards that is what I've seen the most.

I already submitted, but one of my transcripts hasnt shown up in AACOMAS yet, They wanted a copy of my EMT card instead of my transcript from the community college, But given that they seem to receive stuff and then update a couple days later I am not worried yet that they havent stated they received it. I just wanted to make sure that I wasnt to late in general, I figure that I should hopefully be verified by late sept early oct at the latest..and while after some people I hope its early enough to get a spot

If everything is done all you can do is play the waiting game. You aren't too late. As I mentioned earlier, there are people that have applied in January. Just not the ideal situation

Alright I got an aacomas ID, and have sent out transcript requests on Friday. A couple of questions though.....

Is there a thread on D.O. school admissions requirements and or whether they accept out of state?

Im planning on shelling out enough money to apply to about 8 schools, and I just wanted to make sure I'm picking the right ones haha.

Also...has anyone used the LOR service that aacomas mentioned? Does it work? Is it useful?

Thanks

Alright I got an aacomas ID, and have sent out transcript requests on Friday. A couple of questions though.....

Is there a thread on D.O. school admissions requirements and or whether they accept out of state?
Im planning on shelling out enough money to apply to about 8 schools, and I just wanted to make sure I'm picking the right ones haha.

Also...has anyone used the LOR service that aacomas mentioned? Does it work? Is it useful?

Thanks

Follow the "DO version of the MSAR" link Chocolate Bear has in his sig above. It lists each school, their requirements, deadlines, in-state/out-of-state acceptance rates, and any other numbers that might interest you.

btw C-Bear, your sig is soooooo AWESOME, I can't tell you how many times it's helped me. Is there a petition we can sign to make you a mod? :p

Last edited:
Follow the "DO version of the MSAR" link Chocolate Bear has in his sig above. It lists each school, their requirements, deadlines, in-state/out-of-state acceptance rates, and any other numbers that might interest you.

btw C-Bear, your sig is soooooo AWESOME, I can't tell you how many times it's helped me. Is there a petition we can sign to make you a mod? :p

:D:D Write a letter to your congressperson or local SDN mod.

*I'm not actually sure whether blowing up mods' inboxes would help or hinder this effort...