Is FA really enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howdysang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm now using pathoma in combination with FA, and there is a lot of info from pathoma that FA doesn't cover. This makes me think that the other subject areas might also lack enough information. I do know that Uworld is necessary too. Will this qbank be enough to supplement the necessary information that's not in FA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm now using pathoma in combination with FA, and there is a lot of info from pathoma that FA doesn't cover. This makes me think that the other subject areas might also lack enough information. I do know that Uworld is necessary too. Will this qbank be enough to supplement the necessary information that's not in FA?
FA+UW or UFAP seems to be a good combo

Just wrote the exam about a week ago, and yes there is stuff on the exam that isn't in first aid or uworld. But let's step back for a moment here. To be quite honest, about 90% of the content of the step 1 can be learned either directly from UFAP (Uworld + FA + Pathoma), or can be derived from information learned in UFAP using critical thinking and logic. You can absolutely score a 250 using only UFAP (not everyone, but some people certainly can. There is an element of inherent intelligence/critical thinking ability involved as well obviously) However, the other ~10% of questions are not going to be found in these resources, and you don't know where these additional questions are going to be pulled from or of what topic they will be on. So there is definitely a logarithmic scale with diminishing returns in terms of return-on-investment on time spent studying additional resources beyond the core materials in an attempt to cross that lucrative 260 mark. You could spend 1000 hours studying UFAP and get a 252, and to get bumped up 8 points to a 260 you would likely have to spend an additional 1000+ hours of study on other relatively low yield materials in the odd chance that you will cover some of the minutiae that is selected for your version of the step 1. Worth it? For most people probably not. The difference between a 252 and a 262 applicant is fairly negligible to most programs, and factors like reference letters, research and interpersonal/interview skills will usually be weighted more heavily than a step 1 score being a few points higher for applicants who are already scoring 250+ anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wrote the exam about a week ago, and yes there is stuff on the exam that isn't in first aid or uworld. But let's step back for a moment here. To be quite honest, about 90% of the content of the step 1 can be learned either directly from UFAP (Uworld + FA + Pathoma), or can be derived from information learned in UFAP using critical thinking and logic. You can absolutely score a 250 using only UFAP (not everyone, but some people certainly can. There is an element of inherent intelligence/critical thinking ability involved as well obviously) However, the other ~10% of questions are not going to be found in these resources, and you don't know where these additional questions are going to be pulled from or of what topic they will be on. So there is definitely a logarithmic scale with diminishing returns in terms of return-on-investment on time spent studying additional resources beyond the core materials in an attempt to cross that lucrative 260 mark. You could spend 1000 hours studying UFAP and get a 252, and to get bumped up 8 points to a 260 you would likely have to spend an additional 1000+ hours of study on other relatively low yield materials in the odd chance that you will cover some of the minutiae that is selected for your version of the step 1. Worth it? For most people probably not. The difference between a 252 and a 262 applicant is fairly negligible to most programs, and factors like reference letters, research and interpersonal/interview skills will usually be weighted more heavily than a step 1 score being a few points higher for applicants who are already scoring 250+ anyways.

Did you try Goljan? Or did you feel it was unnecessary when using the UFAP method to score 235+

Did you try Goljan? Or did you feel it was unnecessary when using the UFAP method to score 235+

I didn't use goljan personally, I definitely dont think it is necessary for a 235. At this point I feel like his audio is getting a bit dated too. People who are auditory learners or who are looking for some material to be productive during a commute might find it helpful though.

I didn't use goljan personally, I definitely dont think it is necessary for a 235. At this point I feel like his audio is getting a bit dated too. People who are auditory learners or who are looking for some material to be productive during a commute might find it helpful though.
his audio is old, but outstanding. you will see the material in a new light like you never have before.
at least for me.

Reactions: 1 user
What about the Rapid Review book?
I found the rapid review book to be the best resource for 2nd year of medical school. i highly recommend reading throughout the year. currently in my study period, the other "higher yield" board materials are burdensome, and I don't have time for it.

I do strongly believe that it constructed an outstanding foundation to my understanding anyways and def helped me excel on exams.