Is getting honors in a clerkship you want to match into absolutely necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ero0924

Reaction score
I'm an MS3 who just finished my IM clerkship. I wasn't planning on applying for IM but I absolutely loved the clerkship and am now heavily considering matching into it. I did well on my evaluations (92%) and shelf exam (88%) but did poorly on my SPE (our school grades it in a weird way where the actor's feedback counts for 75% of your grade so even though the clerkship director gave me an awesome grade I only got a 77% overall). This SPE mishap caused me to only get high pass instead of honors. I am panicking because I am worried that by not having honors, IM programs won't even consider my application despite that fact that my other grades have been good and I got a 257 on step 1, extracurriculars, etc.

Do you need honors to match into a specialty?
Can programs see the full breakdown of our clerkship grades and see that I did okay on the shelf and faculty evaluations, just had a bad SPE score? Or will they just see a "high pass" without any other info?
If I did an AI in IM at my hospital during 4th year and got honors that time, would it be enough to overshadow the high pass from 3rd year?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

According to 2020 NRMP data, 3,664 matched into IM and 89 did not. I can guarantee you that the breakdown wasn't 3664 applicants with honors in IM and 89 without honors.