Is going to a Caribbean medical school worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khoshgel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone knows for sure ,after graduate from Caribbean medical school would you be able to do your residency and then work in California or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but that's a lot of ifs. So long as you graduate and get through residency in the states, you can practice wherever you'd like. I would not recommend this route unless you have exhausted all US-MD posibilities (including SMP, retaking MCAT, etc) and only if you are considering a good Caribbean school like SGU or Ross. Even then, recognize that this is going to be an uphill battle. Good luck.

Last edited:
This has been discussed many times. Use the search function to learn more why you wait for responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone knows for sure ,after graduate from Caribbean medical school would you be able to do your residency and then work in California or not?

I'd be particularly careful about CA, and make sure you go to one like Ross - which modeled itself to be accredited by CA so it's students can practice there. The reason why is that CA is one of FEW states that requires physicians to complete their clinicals in the same country they received their pre-clinical education in order to receieve a license to practice in the state. For example, a while back, people used to go through a program in Poland that did two years pre clinical over there and then came to the US for clincials and the doctors couldn't get licensed in CA. There is a similiar situation happening with an Australian med school's program right now. Ross got around this by becoming accredited through CA or something like this. However, I assume that all the big 4 are covered from this sort of thing ... but double check.

As far as being 'worth it.' Remember, some Carribean schools are known for taking your money, knowing you can't hack it, and will leave you out to dry. Others, like SGU, Ross etc ... are established schools and if you can do it ... you'll get there. Remember that the schools have large drop out rates and to make sure you're dedicated and don't become part of this statistic. I just want to say, in closing, that I'm not trying to bash Carribean med schools 1% ... I apologize in advance if any of my advice is off or seems offensive ... it wasn't my intent.

In general, I agree with the sentiment that all other avenues to a US-MD, and even a DO, should be explored before going Carrib. Even the "good" ones like Ross and SGU have higher than normal attrition rates, and the lower ones just don't give a damn about you beyond the money you give them. Furthermore, the future of the Carrib med schools as a viable path is questionable, since allopathic med schools are increasing admissions while the number of residency spots is staying the same-this means that in the future, there will be less residency spots left over for international students.

I'd rather spend the an extra 2-4 years straightening out my application and getting in to a low-tier allo school or an osteo school than go Carrib; the odds are just so risky in that situation. For some, it's the best option available because they will never be able to bring up their GPA high enough to be competitive, but the vast majority of people, IMO, should just put in the time to bring it up.

In general, I agree with the sentiment that all other avenues to a US-MD, and even a DO, should be explored before going Carrib. Even the "good" ones like Ross and SGU have higher than normal attrition rates, and the lower ones just don't give a damn about you beyond the money you give them. Furthermore, the future of the Carrib med schools as a viable path is questionable, since allopathic med schools are increasing admissions while the number of residency spots is staying the same-this means that in the future, there will be less residency spots left over for international students.

I'd rather spend the an extra 2-4 years straightening out my application and getting in to a low-tier allo school or an osteo school than go Carrib; the odds are just so risky in that situation. For some, it's the best option available because they will never be able to bring up their GPA high enough to be competitive, but the vast majority of people, IMO, should just put in the time to bring it up.

You bring up an interesting point regarding the clamp on future residencies with size increases and new US schools in the future. There is no doubt that FMGs are going to get hit with this the worst. I agree that DO is an option - for most people - that I believe should be explored before Caribbean MD schools. If for no other reason that the fact that DOs do have their own residencies that only DO students can apply for. They definitely aren't are numerous as they should be ... but it's always that extra option. Good luck OP!!

If you go to the International Medical Forum area, and read about Caribbean grads, you'll see that of those who do graduate despite the high attrition rate, only 50% match into residency in the US. This is a dismal statistic, considering 95% of MD and DO entering students go on to graduate and match in the US.

see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=90