Is habituation a type of learned behavior?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navneetdh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am using sparknote cards and it says 3 types of learned behavior are
habituation
conditioning
associative learning

Umm i would think habituation is innate.

Members don't see this ad.

I think u're confusing habituation with sensory adaptation. Habituation is a learned behavior.. why? Example: Think of a little chick seeing something flying through the sky.. it freaks out thinking it's a hawk or something.. it runs and screams.. then it realizes it's just a plane. Eventually it'll learn to ignore what's flying.. and its alertness will decline.

The fine line between habituation and sensory adaptation is that.. u can purposely bring back your attention and your level of focus for habituations.. but u can't for sensory adaptation.

I think u're confusing habituation with sensory adaptation. Habituation is a learned behavior.. why? Example: Think of a little chick seeing something flying through the sky.. it freaks out thinking it's a hawk or something.. it runs and screams.. then it realizes it's just a plane. Eventually it'll learn to ignore what's flying.. and its alertness will decline.

The fine line between habituation and sensory adaptation is that.. u can purposely bring back your attention and your level of focus for habituations.. but u can't for sensory adaptation.

so sensory adaptation wont be habituation???

if i hear constant noise of traffic outside my wondo. After a while i dont even realize it is there. What is that?

when i go from a dark room into the daylight....is that what is sensory adaptation for my eyes?

if my brother keeps poking me with a pencil and after a while i leanr to ignore it...what is that?

so sensory adaptation wont be habituation???

if i hear constant noise of traffic outside my wondo. After a while i dont even realize it is there. What is that?

when i go from a dark room into the daylight....is that what is sensory adaptation for my eyes?

if my brother keeps poking me with a pencil and after a while i leanr to ignore it...what is that?

Sensory adaptation is NOT habituation

The list of questions u gave, ask yourself.. the fine line question.. can u purposely become aware of the stimulation again? (awkward wording)

if i hear constant noise of traffic outside my wondo. After a while i dont even realize it is there. What is that? <- habituation

when i go from a dark room into the daylight....is that what is sensory adaptation for my eyes? <- sensory adaptation

if my brother keeps poking me with a pencil and after a while i leanr to ignore it...what is that? <- habituation

Members don't see this ad :)