Is including your dedication for osteopathy in personal statement a disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PotGoblinsales10

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I talked about how I know osteopathic medicine would allow me to make a greater impact with its biopsychosocial model and I’m dedicated to it.

or will that come up as dishonest and presumptuous.

Should I just not talk about osteopathic medicine in my personal statement?

@Goro
 
I talked about how I know osteopathic medicine would allow me to make a greater impact with its biopsychosocial model and I’m dedicated to it.

or will that come up as dishonest and presumptuous.

Should I just not talk about osteopathic medicine in my personal statement?

@Goro
Save it for secondaries
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! Can you give a reason why? Do all secondaries ask that question? Is a personal statement with osteopathic specific discussion not considered appropriate?
PS is for "Who am I ?" and "Why Medicine?" If you want to add something about osteopathy, I suppose it will be OK, but I think that you'll be better off provided something factual from experience, rather than merely what you read or hear.
 
Most DO secondaries have a prompt asking why this school/why osteopathic medicine. If you make that the focus of your PS, you run the risk of writing essentially the same essay for both your PS and secondary and I don't think adcoms would appreciate that.
 
I think you can work it into your persona statement.

It would be refreshing for admin committee to add a member to a matriculating class who isn’t a self hating ‘wannabe MD’

Remember, in building a class, committees look for/hope for some key players such as leaders, researchers, a few class clowns to lighten the mood, a few older students, and core of future DO “true believers”