Is including your dedication for osteopathy in personal statement a disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotGoblinsales10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talked about how I know osteopathic medicine would allow me to make a greater impact with its biopsychosocial model and I’m dedicated to it.

or will that come up as dishonest and presumptuous.

Should I just not talk about osteopathic medicine in my personal statement?

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

I talked about how I know osteopathic medicine would allow me to make a greater impact with its biopsychosocial model and I’m dedicated to it.

or will that come up as dishonest and presumptuous.

Should I just not talk about osteopathic medicine in my personal statement?

@Goro
Save it for secondaries

Reactions: 3 users
Save it for secondaries

Thanks! Can you give a reason why? Do all secondaries ask that question? Is a personal statement with osteopathic specific discussion not considered appropriate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Can you give a reason why? Do all secondaries ask that question? Is a personal statement with osteopathic specific discussion not considered appropriate?
PS is for "Who am I ?" and "Why Medicine?" If you want to add something about osteopathy, I suppose it will be OK, but I think that you'll be better off provided something factual from experience, rather than merely what you read or hear.

Reactions: 1 user
Most DO secondaries have a prompt asking why this school/why osteopathic medicine. If you make that the focus of your PS, you run the risk of writing essentially the same essay for both your PS and secondary and I don't think adcoms would appreciate that.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you can work it into your persona statement.

It would be refreshing for admin committee to add a member to a matriculating class who isn’t a self hating ‘wannabe MD’

Remember, in building a class, committees look for/hope for some key players such as leaders, researchers, a few class clowns to lighten the mood, a few older students, and core of future DO “true believers”

Reactions: 1 user
Keep it vague unless asked specifically about it.