carlos5272

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi.
I was wondering if it was a requirement to do an internship before starting your first year of residency. I work with a DO who went to Nova and she told me that it was only required in certain states like Florida. I have read, though, that is a requirement after med school to do an internship to be admitted into a residency. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks for the help.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
only required in FL, OK, PA, MI, and WV (there are 5 states, I'm pretty sure those are the ones).

Thing is, in July the AOA just voted to no longer require the osteopathic internship. This is supposed to be implemented in 2 years, but it could take a little longer to hammer out. At the time of implemetation, each osteopathic specialty college (ie: family med, internal med, surgery, etc) will have decided if they wish to continue requiring an internship year or not. So, that means it'll be up to each specialty rather than being up to the AOA as a whole.

http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/pdf/cal_hod06res19.pdf

OP
C

carlos5272

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DrMom said:
only required in FL, OK, PA, MI, and WV (there are 5 states, I'm pretty sure those are the ones).

Thing is, in July the AOA just voted to no longer require the osteopathic internship. This is supposed to be implemented in 2 years, but it could take a little longer to hammer out. At the time of implemetation, each osteopathic specialty college (ie: family med, internal med, surgery, etc) will have decided if they wish to continue requiring an internship year or not. So, that means it'll be up to each specialty rather than being up to the AOA as a whole.

http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/pdf/cal_hod06res19.pdf
Thank you very much for the info. Its geatly appreciated!

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
just remember that big changes like this (and this is a big change) take a while to work out. while the plan is to have it implemented in 2 years, it may be 4 or 5. In other words, no absolute promises that this will be in place when you graduate, although it probably will be.

About the Ads