Is Interviewing Early in the Cycle Considered a Good Sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is generally considered a good sign if you are interviewing at a school early in their cycle? I know dental school is rolling and your personal interview is obviously a big factor, but since decisions don't come until December is their any advantage or positive sign to interviewing in August as opposed to later like November?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is generally considered a good sign if you are interviewing at a school early in their cycle? I know dental school is rolling and your personal interview is obviously a big factor, but since decisions don't come until December is their any advantage or positive sign to interviewing in August as opposed to later like November?

Depends on the school. Generally, the feedback I have gathered is, there is no advantage for any pre-December date.

Edit: for clarification, I am talking about an August vs September vs October vs November date.

Reactions: 2 users
I am more curious to know if they are going to forget Aug vs Nov interviewers? Or they keep track of us by our scores, which gives equal chance to all pre-dec interviews.
Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am more curious to know if they are going to forget Aug vs Nov interviewers? Or they keep track of us by our scores, which gives equal chance to all pre-dec interviews.
Thanks
The adcom will know if you’re accpeted or rejected about 2 weeks after they interview you. They usually get together every other week and make decisions throughout the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Schools usually meet shortly after the interview day and decide whether or not to accept you. Rutgers told us that they meet literally right after we leave and go over everyone who interviewed. With that being said, I got into 3 schools with post december interviews and know a bunch of others who did as well. So, don’t feel discouraged if you’re not one of the early interview days.

Reactions: 1 user
We would do 1-2 days of interviews and then meet as a committee within the week to discuss and rank applicants. The numbers are confidential even to rest of the committee, and the director of admissions makes the final selections before first round of acceptances go out in December, making sure a class is relatively diverse and well balanced. I wouldn't worry about your specific interview day as long as it's before December (cuz that's when most of the acceptances are sent out)

Reactions: 1 users