Is is normal to over-analyze after an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ingridska

KCUMB 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview at KCOM Monday and KCUMB Tuesday. I heard today (Wed) about KCOM (I got in), and thought I hadn't done as well as KCUMB. I won't hear from KCUMB until the end of Dec, but I am now stressing and over-analyzing all of the answers I gave, etc. I felt really great leaving the interview at KCUMB. Is this stressing normal? Did it happen to anyone else? I am relieved by the fact that I will be attending school next fall (whether KCOM or another that I get in to), but I am still kind of fretting. AHHHH!

Members don't see this ad.

It mite not be normal for someone thats already got an acceptance in hand..but it happened to me on my 2nd interview after i got waitlisted at the first school i went to..I know of 2 questions where i could have given better answers and I swore i would get waitlisted at the 2nd school too...But 2 weeks later i found out i got accepted..so you'll never know..keep your head high..youve already been accepted!!:)

ingridska said:
I had an interview at KCOM Monday and KCUMB Tuesday. I heard today (Wed) about KCOM (I got in), and thought I hadn't done as well as KCUMB. I won't hear from KCUMB until the end of Dec, but I am now stressing and over-analyzing all of the answers I gave, etc. I felt really great leaving the interview at KCUMB. Is this stressing normal? Did it happen to anyone else? I am relieved by the fact that I will be attending school next fall (whether KCOM or another that I get in to), but I am still kind of fretting. AHHHH!
I did it with every one of my interviews and they all turned out well (acceptance). I'm kind of a perfectionist with certain things and sometimes I find myself even analyzing conversations I have had with people, upset b/c I could have been more articulate, given a better argument, etc.
I find that when I do this all it does is annoy those around me. Actually, it really annoys me too when I do it. However, if you have more interviews scheduled, it certainly is a good idea to prepare yourself by thinking of better responses to questions you may get in said interviews. On the other hand, if you are trying to predict their response to your interview/questions, it's worthless.

Members don't see this ad :)
ingridska said:

Hell yeah, I just finished an interview at DMU 13 days ago (see I am counting the days...ahha) I also had an interview at WVSOM last monday and find out from them for at least another week if not two. LECOM-ERIE is backed up, as everyone has heard, so I havent heard back from them yet. Trust me, my friends have to keep me from talking about it and checking my damn email over, and over, and over again. Its normal...very normal (or so I hope :laugh: )

ingridska said:

Hey Ingrid! It was great to meet you on Monday...I got my phone call from KCOM today, also. How sure are you about going to Kirksville next year? Barring unforseen circumstances, I'll be an MS1 there next year.

ingridska said:

I went through the same thing you have when I applied. It's normal. Try to relax though.

Jamers said:
Hell yeah, I just finished an interview at DMU 13 days ago (see I am counting the days...ahha) I also had an interview at WVSOM last monday and find out from them for at least another week if not two. LECOM-ERIE is backed up, as everyone has heard, so I havent heard back from them yet. Trust me, my friends have to keep me from talking about it and checking my damn email over, and over, and over again. Its normal...very normal (or so I hope :laugh: )

I thought you were on crack. :laugh:

Congratulations. The interview that you think you did bad is the one that accepted you. At least, this is true for me. :)) I thought I didn't feel confident at Nova because it was the first one, but they accepted me. After getting one acceptance, I felt confident at KCOM last week, but still doesn't hear anything from them. I guess no hope for KCOM. :)) Again, congrats. You can enjoy now.

XKV said:
Hey Ingrid! It was great to meet you on Monday...I got my phone call from KCOM today, also. How sure are you about going to Kirksville next year? Barring unforseen circumstances, I'll be an MS1 there next year.

I don't know. I really want to hear from KC first. Where else do you have interviews? I liked the school a lot.....just not sure about the town, and I did like KC curriculum better....would be happy at either though. They are both good schools, that is why I applied to them in the first place :)

ingridska said:
I don't know. I really want to hear from KC first. Where else do you have interviews? I liked the school a lot.....just not sure about the town, and I did like KC curriculum better....would be happy at either though. They are both good schools, that is why I applied to them in the first place :)

I interviewed at WVSOM, NYCOM, and Nova within the last week or so...really liked all of them, everyone was pretty friendly. NYCOM was pretty cool b/c of their use of technology and their strong 3rd/4th yr rotations, as well as their matches. I got a better overall vibe from KCOM though. One of the students I talked to said that the school would kick your butt for four years but that it would be pretty hard to find another school that looks out for you as much as they do.

XKV said:
I interviewed at WVSOM, NYCOM, and Nova within the last week or so...really liked all of them, everyone was pretty friendly. NYCOM was pretty cool b/c of their use of technology and their strong 3rd/4th yr rotations, as well as their matches. I got a better overall vibe from KCOM though. One of the students I talked to said that the school would kick your butt for four years but that it would be pretty hard to find another school that looks out for you as much as they do.

So, what are your strong points for KCOM? I like the use of pt. simulators, lots of anatomy hours, but I am not sure 8-5pm classes every day will give me enough study time on my own. I really liked KCUMB's curriculum too, not biochem, anatomy, etc, but you focus of systems (ie circulatory) and then learn the biochem, anatomy, path, etc of that system. A little bit more broken up. But if you can give me some good reminders about why KCOM is so good, that would be great......I am just confused right now

ingridska said:

I know exactly how you feel. After my first interview, which I thought had gone really well, I started second guessing myself and the way I acted thinking "damn, I should have said this, or I should have said that" until I finally went insane. I have yet to discover how NOT to go insane post-interview, but I've found that after you have an acceptance in your hand, things are a lot easier. So relax. You're going to be a doctor.