Is it bad to drop to 8-9 part-time credits my last semester of college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saskatche-1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I am in my last semester of college and am currently taking 12 credits, the bare minimum to be full-time. However, after a cost-analysis, it turns out I save a decent amount of money by dropping 1-2 classes and taking only 8 or 9 credits. I don't need anymore than that to hit my graduation requirements. I have already been admitted to one dental school, but am still waiting to hear back from one more. Will dental schools frown on this? Any knowledge is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all, I am in my last semester of college and am currently taking 12 credits, the bare minimum to be full-time. However, after a cost-analysis, it turns out I save a decent amount of money by dropping 1-2 classes and taking only 8 or 9 credits. I don't need anymore than that to hit my graduation requirements. I have already been admitted to one dental school, but am still waiting to hear back from one more. Will dental schools frown on this? Any knowledge is appreciated :)

I would speak to the dental school you've been accepted to before you drop them. They might have conditionally accepted you knowing that you'll complete your planned courses. As for the one you are waiting to hear back, I don't think it will be a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
I did the same thing, but I first emailed and made sure UCLA would be fine with me dropping down to part-time, since I had a few fluff classes I was taking just to be full-time. They were fine with it and everything worked out for me :) I'd just notify the two schools before dropping it just to make sure it'd be okay, but I don't see why it wouldn't be since they're not pre-reqs!

Reactions: 2 users