Is it bad to not submit a secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angkim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I decided not to submit a secondary for a school because first I have missed their deadline (I did not read my email carefully) :( would that count against me for all other med schools I am applying to?

The email says I could have emailed them for an extension before the deadline but it been 3+ weeks since the deadline has passed. How should I go about this? help!

Members don't see this ad.

If I decided not to submit a secondary for a school because first I have missed their deadline (I did not read my email carefully) :( would that count against me for all other med schools I am applying to?

The email says I could have emailed them for an extension before the deadline but it been 3+ weeks since the deadline has passed. How should I go about this? help!

I emailed a school to withdraw my app last week cuz i didn't want to pay for another 2ndary. They seemed cool with it and I don't think they will be spiteful and hurt your chance at other schools. Don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to, give them a call or email and ask if you can still submit the secondary.

It will not count against you in any way at other schools either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few schools that I applied to, but changed my mind and never submitted the secondary. Do I have to email them and withdraw my app? I just assumed that if I don't submit a secondary then they will understand that I'm not interested right? It's not like they're sitting there waiting for me to submit my secondary. Do you guys think I should still contact these schools?

There are a few schools that I applied to, but changed my mind and never submitted the secondary. Do I have to email them and withdraw my app? I just assumed that if I don't submit a secondary then they will understand that I'm not interested right? It's not like they're sitting there waiting for me to submit my secondary. Do you guys think I should still contact these schools?

You might as well send them a one or two line email if you are concerned about it. It most likely doesn't matter though.

No, it won't at all hurt your chances at the other institutions. There's no cross talk between adcoms for who submitted secondaries and who didn't.

You'll probably receive an email sometime in the future politely saying you've been declined an acceptance however.

You'll probably receive an email sometime in the future politely saying you've been declined an acceptance however.

And I'll respond with an email, "Wait, was it because I didn't submit my secondary?"

Absolutely no need to. Like you said, they aren't waiting on you. I "silently rejected" a few schools that way myself last cycle, at no loss to myself or them. Anything you tell them could be used against you if you find yourself applying to them next cycle, if it comes to that, though.

And OP, the ONLY time schools communicate about an applicant is past May 15th, when a student has multiple ACCEPTANCES (or has one and is about to be offered another from a school that waitlisted them). There's too much friggin' tedium in the process already, if they started keeping track of things like this they'd still be trying to fill the class of 2010. =P

thanks everyone for your responses! I think I shall just "silently reject" my secondary app to this school. I have completed 23 secondaries so far. sheesh.

thanks everyone for your responses! I think I shall just "silently reject" my secondary app to this school. I have completed 23 secondaries so far. sheesh.

Must be draining your bank account eh? I ran into some banking issues last week + went over the credit limit because I lost track of how much money I was spending on secondaries. FML. :(