Is it easy to transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it's easy to transfer to another dental school.

Someone told me that it's easy but if class size is 100 and someone wants to transfer to this school then it would be 101 and that already exceeded the class size.

I want to know the general requirements to transfer.

Members don't see this ad.

from what i've heard/read it's NOT easy to transfer.

but just wondering... you haven't even gotten in anywhere yet... why are you worrying about that already? you're bound to get more interviews/get in somewhere!

i donno who told you that it's easy but as far as what i have been hearing from everyone (from dentists to school staff), transfer is very very hard in dental schools and only granted in very rare circumstances.

first of all, each dental school has different curriculum and approach. for example, midwestern uses system based learning where instead of taking anatomy, biochem, etc. they will learn by each system (cardio system, etc.). so someone to trasnfer from one type of learning to another system will cause much confusion and transition will not be smooth at all.

also, dental schools have numbers of seats in class for a reason. they have it because they need to have certain numbers of chairs in sim lab or clinic for students (let's say there are 75 chairs so they have 75 ppl in their class). accepting 1 more person to that class will make one person from the class to share their chair with the new transferred student. this will not work out so there has to be an empty seat for that to happen.

although im not too sure how hard it is (my dentist has transferred from kansas dental school to UT houston in 70's, under very special circumstance with military and family reason), but im pretty sure in order for transfer to happen, you would need a very good reason, empty seat in the class for you to take, pretty good matches b/w ur curriculum and their curriculum (unless you don't mind starting all over from D1, but then you'll be wasting over 100k in money), and other factors which make it very very hard to happen

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if it's easy to transfer to another dental school.

Someone told me that it's easy but if class size is 100 and someone wants to transfer to this school then it would be 101 and that already exceeded the class size.

I want to know the general requirements to transfer.

It's not easy.

It's not easy.

I thought you're only grant the opportunity to TRANSFERR if for whatever reason your own dental school is closing down and you need to graduate. Otherwise you have to reapply through AADSAS if you wanna go to a different school.

A lot of schools I looked at state on their site that they don't allow transfers at all.

No acceptance yet, already contemplating a transfer :laugh:

It's really not that ridiculous of a question to ask. Many Canadians who apply to the states will look to transfer back to a Canadian school for 2nd year, so it isn't unlikely for someone to contemplate transferring before even being accepted.
As for the question, I wouldn't say it's 'easy' as you have to make sure the program style of the current school matches the curriculum of the possible transfer school. The school will also generally 'lose' 1 if not 2 students after first year for those that realized dentistry was not for them, and then you'll be competing with quite a few applicants for that single spot, so it's definitely not the easiest scenario, but it is possible.

It's really not that ridiculous of a question to ask. Many Canadians who apply to the states will look to transfer back to a Canadian school for 2nd year, so it isn't unlikely for someone to contemplate transferring before even being accepted.
As for the question, I wouldn't say it's 'easy' as you have to make sure the program style of the current school matches the curriculum of the possible transfer school. The school will also generally 'lose' 1 if not 2 students after first year for those that realized dentistry was not for them, and then you'll be competing with quite a few applicants for that single spot, so it's definitely not the easiest scenario, but it is possible.

US ds schools are not too keen on being used as springboards for Canadians who cannot get into Can ds. Moreover, the question did not mention anything about the option you suggested and info on Can ds is not exactly readily available judging by all the blank spaces in the ADEA Guide and/or the ADA publications regarding statistical info on supplicants, acceptances, enrollees, withdrawal, transfers, etc.

Would marriage be enough of a reason to allow someone to transfer?

US ds schools are not too keen on being used as springboards for Canadians who cannot get into Can ds. Moreover, the question did not mention anything about the option you suggested and info on Can ds is not exactly readily available judging by all the blank spaces in the ADEA Guide and/or the ADA publications regarding statistical info on supplicants, acceptances, enrollees, withdrawal, transfers, etc.

Whether they are not to keen on it or not, it is something that happens and I was just using it as an example that transferring is possible.
And actually the answer did regard the question in saying that the curriculum has to be similar for transferring (usually), and that a spot has to be open that can accommodate the transferring student...just in case you didn't read closely enough.

Whether they are not to keen on it or not, it is something that happens and I was just using it as an example that transferring is possible.
And actually the answer did regard the question in saying that the curriculum has to be similar for transferring (usually), and that a spot has to be open that can accommodate the transferring student...just in case you didn't read closely enough.

You missed the mark, but there is not much point in belaboring the subject.

i think the interviewer at nyu said he had 1 transfer student for the second/third year