Is it Game Over for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownfx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would try a post-bacc or a masters and aiming for a very high GPA (around 3.8). Your circumstances for undergrad could be used to explain the grades, but schools want to see that you will be able to successfully complete their rigorous program. schools are all about the money, if you get accepted and fail out after your first year, thats tuition that they will lose for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. schools dont accept people as a 'transfer' into the 2nd year, so your seat will remain unfilled and so will your tuition.

edit-- so you basically need to demonstrate your ability to do well. that would mean taking a full load of tough courses and doing well, not just B's but A's as well. if you really want to pursue dentistry, you have to try your best! good luck!

Dental schools like to see trends.. if you keep taking classes and get great grades in ALL your classes you might have a shot. This said, you have a LOT of ground to make up. You would also have to nail the DAT. Really.

Your best bet is to talk try and talk to some schools about it, and see where you are. Maybe they see your situation as exceptional, and if you improve your grades, you show determination and ability coming out of hardship... (who knows)

As of now, your pretty much at rock bottom. If you cant start getting your life in order, then dental school is a pipe dream. If you can pull it together, its not.

Best of luck. Honestly...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, at the moment I am doing an informal post-bacc of sorts and taking classes at ucla. I think it is too late to get into any masters programs/ post bacc programs for this fall, so I want to aim for fall 2012? And yea, I understand what you mean about how the school does not want to lose money.

In my opinion, you should focus on your studies and raising up the GPA (meaning you need to have 4.0 GPA w/ science heavy in order to have significant upper trend while improving your GPA. It is hard to move into >2.8 from 2.25 after taking all those classes without 4.0GPA for 3 semesters)

But it is very possible and I have seen couple people do it that I personally know. It is really vital that you do well in DAT and aim for >21AA.

If you are doing informal post-bacc for this coming year then you shouldn't do formal post-bacc in fall 2012 because it will be just re-taking classes for 3rd time. Instead, apply to special master program which is science heavy.

As for when to apply, if you do informal post-bacc this coming year and do well + DAT (>21AA) then you have chance next cycle but I am not certain. Otherwise, wait until 2013 cycle because application cost tons of $$$.

Anyhow, good luck with everything!!

I can't even read this...

Please, hit they "Enter" button couple times between sentences

Hmm...I don't see how you have a realistic shot of getting into D-School unless you figure out how to study more effectively. B's aren't going to cut it at this point, you can only make A's, and you must do that for 3-4 semesters in a row to have a realistic shot. Even then, I think you will still need to prove yourself in a masters program. I believe you are looking at 3-4 years before you matriculate into D-School in a best cast scenario. If you get any more less than 'A' grades, you should consider a different path.

Hmm...I don't see how you have a realistic shot of getting into D-School unless you figure out how to study more effectively. B's aren't going to cut it at this point, you can only make A's, and you must do that for 3-4 semesters in a row to have a realistic shot. Even then, I think you will still need to prove yourself in a masters program. I believe you are looking at 3-4 years before you matriculate into D-School in a best cast scenario. If you get any more less than 'A' grades, you should consider a different path.

I hope you're taking just one upper division science class this summer and pull off an A in it... that will at least boost your confidence and let you know that you are capable of doing it.

You probably need at least 2 years of post-bacc pulling off 4.0s each year to make up for the difference... if its anything less than 4.0, you'll probably need to add on another year or even more.

idk why everybody is sugar coating it for you. you've been in school for 6 years. it's time to get out and get a job. if you really want dentistry, come back after some real life [and maturity] so you wont be wasting your own time and money.

everybody has family and life problems. in fact, as you get older it gets harder, not easier. while it can be used to explain a localized drop in grades, using it as a blanket excuse for multiple years is not gonna fly.

people like to say 'it's never too late for you' here, which is nice for your pride but i dont always agree with it, as you might be able to tell.

I must admit that I often try to say that you can do anything if you try but from your performance it doesn't seem like you ever put in the effort. I could be wrong as I don't know you or your situation but it is very hard to take you seriously when it doesn't appear that you took your path to dentistry seriously. I don't ever doubt anyone's potential in achieving their dreams but at this point I feel that you defeated yourself. I honestly don't know what to tell you but I hope that things work out for you.

Maybe just finish up and find a post bac that will make a good plan B if dental school doesn't work out. It's time to think "what else can I do with the science background that I have invested in."

If you rock the post bac/masters...great. Maybe with some miracle and a high DAT you'll make it to dental school. If youve never been a good test taker I would probably just cut my losses here and look for that plan B. You need to sit down with an academic counselor to talk about career options. Exploring options just keeps as many doors open as possible.

I must admit that I often try to say that you can do anything if you try but from your performance it doesn't seem like you ever put in the effort. I could be wrong as I don't know you or your situation but it is very hard to take you seriously when it doesn't appear that you took your path to dentistry seriously. I don't ever doubt anyone's potential in achieving their dreams but at this point I feel that you defeated yourself. I honestly don't know what to tell you but I hope that things work out for you.

I agree with this post.

In my opinion i think you will need at least 2 years of full time post bac work and a masters degree to make things happen. It is going to take you 4 years to fix your GPA... and you will also need a killer DAT. Is it worth it to you? When you look deep down inside, do you have what it takes?

If you are still wanting the health field, you may want to consider nursing or chiropractic school. You may be able to get into podiatry, pharmacy, or optometry school after about 2 years of post bac. Many of these programs offer "grade replacement/forgiveness" programs, but you will have to do some research.