Is it honestly impossible???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fancy312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So its almost 1 am and of course im looking at some of the stats on here-- it got me thinking, that sometimes this feels completely impossible.
What the actual f sdn????
I've been on this run for about 3 years now since graduating with my undergrad. I'm 26, Working as a dental assistant I'm currently scheduled to start a one year MBS this fall at Rutgers aimed at improving my GPA, getting an upward trend, and hopefully retaking the DAT to get a better score.

I'm nowhere near the average of a DAT score, and nowhere near even a 19 AA. You all scare me with the 28 AA (I know im being dramatic) Im being blunt and it actually terrifies me because I know I want this as a career, but I am just wondering if I can make it now. I'm just wondering if I can even reach that after completing my program, and retaking the DAT next year, I would be ECSTATIC over a 19, but as of now that doesn't even seem like enough. :sorry: and now im just sitting here like...what do I do?!
If anyone wants to chime in please, because I need it.

Members don't see this ad.

The masters program is designed to help your DAT as well as your GPA improve. Keep pushing with the program, it has helped many non traditional students in my class propel into the top 10%

Worrying will not do you ANY good. You need to get a grip and get to work. Its that simple. If you want it as bad as you say, then make it happen. Stop doubting yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So its almost 1 am and of course im looking at some of the stats on here-- it got me thinking, that sometimes this feels completely impossible.
What the actual f sdn????
I've been on this run for about 3 years now since graduating with my undergrad. I'm 26, Working as a dental assistant I'm currently scheduled to start a one year MBS this fall at Rutgers aimed at improving my GPA, getting an upward trend, and hopefully retaking the DAT to get a better score.

I'm nowhere near the average of a DAT score, and nowhere near even a 19 AA. You all scare me with the 28 AA (I know im being dramatic) Im being blunt and it actually terrifies me because I know I want this as a career, but I am just wondering if I can make it now. I'm just wondering if I can even reach that after completing my program, and retaking the DAT next year, I would be ECSTATIC over a 19, but as of now that doesn't even seem like enough. :sorry: and now im just sitting here like...what do I do?!
If anyone wants to chime in please, because I need it.
Start off by getting atleast 8 hours of sleep a night to help you remember the things you are studying.

Reactions: 1 users
SDN is definitely not representative of how well people typically do on the DAT. If they were, the average DAT of matriculated students would be ~22 AA, but it’s not (it’s 19-20). Do you think people who do poorly will share their scores with everyone on SDN? Don’t let SDN psych you out.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't let those "omg I have a 3.9 GPA and 25 DAT, i'm not gonna get in anywhere" posts stress you out. Most of them are just fishing for compliments, and they make up less than 1% of dental school applicants.

I think if you aim for a 21 on the DAT and finish your MBS program strong, then you should be fine :). I suggest signing up for DAT bootcamp and buying a DAT destroyer. The materials are harder than the actual DAT, but it prepared me well.

Reactions: 1 user
You are completely fine my friend. I have a 21 TS, 21 AA with a subpar GPA in comparison to most people on SDN and I got into dental school (a bit of luck as well). It's your experiences that count and if you can interview well then that helps as well. Just keep on doing the path you are on and most importantly never give up on your dream! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users