This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Significant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm in my last semester as a psychology major (pre-DO). If all checks out alright, I will have a 3.35 cum, ~3.0-3.2 sGPA. I have all the pre-reqs except for biochemistry so I plan on taking that next fall while I work fulltime (hopefully as a scribe). I have been a patient sitter the last year, and currently am coaching a youth basketball team(I've held many different jobs also throughout college). I plan on getting more involved next year, my gap year, at my church. I plan on taking the MCAT next April and doing the 2019 application for DO school.

I went to community college my first 2 years before going to a university. I just started seeing the pre-med advisor beginning of this year, and she has been some help (getting me to shadow and get the patient sitter job), but she still doesn't take me serious. She told me to think long and hard about if I should work a different career. She wrote out a list of courses that I "need" to take before I apply (her pre-med checklist). Cell Bio, Genetics, Microbio, etc. I already have done upper-level sciences such as: functional neuroanatomy, behavioral neuroscience, pathophysiology, anatomy and physiology, pathogenic microbiology. Anyways her and my family are really creating some doubt as to if I could get in.

MY question is, is it as cut-throat as everyone thinks it is. I'm definitely not gonna quit, but It does get tiring having these doubts in my mind.

Also since she doesn't take me serious I don't think she'd help me figure out the letters of recommendation if I saw her. I have one professional, one humanity teacher, one science (organic chm) that have agreed to write me one. My girlfriend's mom works at a DO office and is gonna get me into shadow next year so hopefully I land a LOR. I could use some advice on how to go about getting my LOR's written out, and put to the side so I can focus on the next step
For some schools you will need two science prof letters. I took all the classes your advisor mentioned and I felt that what I learned helped with the MCAT.

As for letters, I just asked the professors. One I TA'ed for for 3 years in anatomy. I've kept up with them after I graduated and that helps as well.

Just as an aside, I also went to CC my first years and I definitely enjoyed the smaller class size, and more approachable professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your premed advisor is an idiot, as are 98% of them. Scribing will be good but bare minimum you need a 510 mcat. Start studying NOW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Your premed advisor is an idiot, as are 98% of them. Scribing will be good but bare minimum you need a 510 mcat. Start studying NOW.

I agree. They are not there to really help with pre-med advising anyways. They know nothing about the process.

Reactions: 1 user

You got it sir. I scored 95th percentile on Organic Chem ACS final. Now I got to freshen up on my physics.

Hello,

I'm in my last semester as a psychology major (pre-DO). If all checks out alright, I will have a 3.35 cum, 3.2-3.3 sGPA. I have all the pre-reqs except for biochemistry so I plan on taking that next fall while I work fulltime (hopefully as a scribe). I have been a patient sitter the last year, and currently am coaching a youth basketball team(I've held many different jobs also throughout college). I plan on getting more involved next year, my gap year, at my church. I plan on taking the MCAT next April and doing the 2019 application for DO school.

I went to community college my first 2 years before going to a university. I just started seeing the pre-med advisor beginning of this year, and she has been some help (getting me to shadow and get the patient sitter job), but she still doesn't take me serious. She told me to think long and hard about if I should work a different career. She wrote out a list of courses that I "need" to take before I apply (her pre-med checklist). Cell Bio, Genetics, Microbio, etc. I already have done upper-level sciences such as: functional neuroanatomy, behavioral neuroscience, pathophysiology, anatomy and physiology, pathogenic microbiology. Anyways her and my family are really creating some doubt as to if I could get in.

MY question is, is it as cut-throat as everyone thinks it is. I'm definitely not gonna quit, but It does get tiring having these doubts in my mind.

Also since she doesn't take me serious I don't think she'd help me figure out the letters of recommendation if I saw her. I have one professional, one humanity teacher, one science (organic chm) that have agreed to write me one. My girlfriend's mom works at a DO office and is gonna get me into shadow next year so hopefully I land a LOR. I could use some advice on how to go about getting my LOR's written out, and put to the side so I can focus on the next step
No, it's quite possible.

Reactions: 1 user
No, it's quite possible.
Goro how do you feel about me taking the biochemistry at a community college next year to save money. I'm focused on mastering the material for the MCAT, so I would put a lot of time into it.

Make sure you get a good teacher/course. Bio chem is emphasized pretty heavily. My undergrad teacher was garbage and it really held be back in that section.

It's all on your MCAT. I had the same thoughts as you in terms of people psyching me out. Very frankly, it's a numbers game, and then a few other hoops, and you're good. It's a checklist, here's the menu:

1) GPA (I'd say 3.2/3.3+ is good for DO and 3.6/3.7+ for MD)
2) MCAT (I'd say 502+ for DO and for MD not sure, like 510/511+?) Higher GPA/Higher MCAT gives you slight flexibility for lower in the other category.
3) EC's - shadowing, volunteer work (do something for underserved), clinical volunteering, sports, etc. etc. (The first 3 are "mandatory"; Hit each with roughly 100+ hrs, the more the better. After roughly 300 hrs for each won't benefit you any more
4) Research - This is BIG for MD schools, not so big for DO. Research, particularly publications, will be a tipper for how schools look at ya. East Coast primarily loves research. West Coast is very number-driven. Don't know about the rest of the country.
5) Application - Gotta make a nice story for why you wanna be a doc as well as tie in your EC's and other experiences to that story to show YOU.
6) Apply -- Apply broadly. It amazes me how many ppl apply to a few schools and they say "I want to go to school X." That's great, but what if you get rejected from school X. You're screwed. Cast a wide net, keep as many options open as possible, start turning down interviews after you get an acceptance.
7) Interview - Simply put, be the person you were on paper. Don't be a weirdo. Be the doc you'd imagine you'd want to be, one that you'd want to be seen by as well as trust your and everyone you care for's health with. Bring those characteristics to the table (and have them personally, or else you won't be a great doc). Know why Med school, why DO, why that school, and be prepared to elaborate on your EC's. (Side note: It is ridiculous how many ppl lie on their apps regarding EC's. They either didn't do them at all or write about roles they didn't actually have. Ppl definitely get nailed on the interview when it comes to these things. SO BE HONEST).

IN MY OPINION, this is it in a nutshell. Seems hard, seems complicated, but it's just a checklist. You have the low end of the stick in terms of GPA, but you're not out of the race yet. Get a high MCAT and do everything else on the list and you'll be solid. Secondary option- get in a post-bacc. (Pick cautiously! They vary dramatically).

Reactions: 1 users
It's all on your MCAT. I had the same thoughts as you in terms of people psyching me out. Very frankly, it's a numbers game, and then a few other hoops, and you're good. It's a checklist, here's the menu:

1) GPA (I'd say 3.2/3.3+ is good for DO and 3.6/3.7+ for MD)
2) MCAT (I'd say 502+ for DO and for MD not sure, like 510/511+?) Higher GPA/Higher MCAT gives you slight flexibility for lower in the other category.
3) EC's - shadowing, volunteer work (do something for underserved), clinical volunteering, sports, etc. etc. (The first 3 are "mandatory"; Hit each with roughly 100+ hrs, the more the better. After roughly 300 hrs for each won't benefit you any more
4) Research - This is BIG for MD schools, not so big for DO. Research, particularly publications, will be a tipper for how schools look at ya. East Coast primarily loves research. West Coast is very number-driven. Don't know about the rest of the country.
5) Application - Gotta make a nice story for why you wanna be a doc as well as tie in your EC's and other experiences to that story to show YOU.
6) Apply -- Apply broadly. It amazes me how many ppl apply to a few schools and they say "I want to go to school X." That's great, but what if you get rejected from school X. You're screwed. Cast a wide net, keep as many options open as possible, start turning down interviews after you get an acceptance.
7) Interview - Simply put, be the person you were on paper. Don't be a weirdo. Be the doc you'd imagine you'd want to be, one that you'd want to be seen by as well as trust your and everyone you care for's health with. Bring those characteristics to the table (and have them personally, or else you won't be a great doc). Know why Med school, why DO, why that school, and be prepared to elaborate on your EC's. (Side note: It is ridiculous how many ppl lie on their apps regarding EC's. They either didn't do them at all or write about roles they didn't actually have. Ppl definitely get nailed on the interview when it comes to these things. SO BE HONEST).

IN MY OPINION, this is it in a nutshell. Seems hard, seems complicated, but it's just a checklist. You have the low end of the stick in terms of GPA, but you're not out of the race yet. Get a high MCAT and do everything else on the list and you'll be solid. Secondary option- get in a post-bacc. (Pick cautiously! They vary dramatically).

I appreciate your time that you spent with your post. I have all next year to prep for the MCAT so I am very confident in getting a 510+. If I cannot score well on the test that tests the coursework that medical schools have asked me to master in the last 4 years then how would I be able to pass the USMLE or COMPLEX. I've definitely liked the process in regards of getting into a medical school. It has pushed me to do new things and try to emulate a certain way that you would expect from somebody who is in charge of others health and wellbeing. I'm not the smarted guy out there. Originally I wanted to be a psychologist because I wanted to talk to people all day and help them out with their problems. After taking biology senior year in high school however I realized I could accomplish that goal in a different light. I'm gonna apply to as many schools as I can.

I appreciate your time that you spent with your post. I have all next year to prep for the MCAT so I am very confident in getting a 510+. If I cannot score well on the test that tests the coursework that medical schools have asked me to master in the last 4 years then how would I be able to pass the USMLE or COMPLEX. I've definitely liked the process in regards of getting into a medical school. It has pushed me to do new things and try to emulate a certain way that you would expect from somebody who is in charge of others health and wellbeing. I'm not the smarted guy out there. Originally I wanted to be a psychologist because I wanted to talk to people all day and help them out with their problems. After taking biology senior year in high school however I realized I could accomplish that goal in a different light. I'm gonna apply to as many schools as I can.

Haha, sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I was a Sociology major and was considering Psychology too... then figured Psychiatry seems more stable, roughly same amount of time, and you have more autonomy in terms of having the ability to write prescriptions, still do psychotherapy, etc. Also I'm def. not the smartest guy out there, but med school is much more about who's the most dedicated and has a passion for it. You gotta love this. And yup exactly, all of these roadblocks are there because once you enter med school you gotta pass boards (and do well). Because once you apply for residency, they care about your board scores in terms of seeing you can pass your residency board examinations. (That + competition for limited number of spots in a field). You'll get there... you just have to ask yourself how much are you willing to give up for it. The gap years between getting into med school were definitely my hardest years, and you need to be mentally strong to get through it. It's going to feel like your life is on pause until you get into medical school and the ball gets rolling again. Hang in there!