This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished freshman year, graduating early. Had a few questions. Neuroscience major, premed aiming for MD schools.

So I was wondering if it is NECESSARY to be involved in campus activities? In all honesty, I dont really like the campus activities, etc. is it necessary to be invocled? I see some of the pictures of students I know in the fliers, etc. but I'm honestly just not motivated.

Before any of you tell me I have to be, remember this. I still have lots of ECs for example:

Research with a doctor in a clinic as a CRC and RA
Volunteer in Hospice
Volunteer in Alzheimer's patients clinic
Volunteer at an orphanage helping children
Volunteer at this nonprofit organization that gives food for poor people and sends money to underserved communities and countries
Shadow two doctors

My question being, if I have the above listed things, is it entirely necessary to be actively involved in campus? I AM President of a Club actually LOL and take part in a few clubs. Is it necessary to be involved?!

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all. I was a TA and I think that was the only thing on campus I did through undergrad. You're involved in a lot of other ways, so you're fine.

Not at all. I was a TA and I think that was the only thing on campus I did through undergrad. You're involved in a lot of other ways, so you're fine.

Really? Bc I really don't feel like doing anything on campus but I feel like it's gonna negatively effect my application

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Bc I really don't feel like doing anything on campus but I feel like it's gonna negatively effect my application

What do you mean, like random clubs? No one will care if you do or don't join the baking club or whatever unless it's something you want them to care about through sustained commitment, responsibility, and achievement.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean, like random clubs? No one will care if you do or don't join the baking club or whatever unless it's something you want them to care about through sustained commitment, responsibility, and achievement.

I mean is t necessary to take part in things on the campus of the college you attend. I don't want to get involved but am involved in the aforementioned things. Are those fine? Or should I constantly try to be involved in the campus of the college I attend

You don't want to come across in your application as someone who was a loner or who did activities during breaks but was just a grind during the academic year. What do you do for fun? Do you enjoy any group activities such as a dance team, music group, or intramural athletics? Showing that you are engaged in some way can help distinguish you from others who have done all the cookie-cutter activities you list.

You can go off and find your own volunteering and sports clubs and whatnot in your city, you don't have to do through campus orgs.

You should do /something/ outside of academic/medical pursuits but it doesn't have to be a club or anything run by your college per se. Go play tennis on weekends. Go rock climbing. Join a band. Start a monthly super smash bros tournament.

Reactions: 3 users
Adcom: How well do you work in a team?
You: great
Adcom: Excellent, can you give me some examples of teams you worked on in college?
You: I hate college.

No. I didn’t do anything on campus besides research and tutoring [no “clubs” or organizations] and had a very successful cycle

Reactions: 1 users
Adcom: How well do you work in a team?
You: great
Adcom: Excellent, can you give me some examples of teams you worked on in college?
You: I hate college.

If you must know, all the activities I listed, entail lots of group work. Just bc I don't participate in campus activities doesn't mean I don't work well in a team

You can go off and find your own volunteering and sports clubs and whatnot in your city, you don't have to do through campus orgs.

Yeah most likely what I'm gonna do. Lol. Thanks. I was just wondering if it would be detrimental to not be too involved with the campus of the college I attend

You don't want to come across in your application as someone who was a loner or who did activities during breaks but was just a grind during the academic year. What do you do for fun? Do you enjoy any group activities such as a dance team, music group, or intramural athletics? Showing that you are engaged in some way can help distinguish you from others who have done all the cookie-cutter activities you list.

Well I do lifegaurding and water safety instructing. I also swim a lot when I can, play music and write horror stories. Nothing published but to answer your question of what I do for fun.

Yeah I know. But do those always have to go through the campus of the college I attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should do /something/ outside of academic/medical pursuits but it doesn't have to be a club or anything run by your college per se. Go play tennis on weekends. Go rock climbing. Join a band. Start a monthly super smash bros tournament.

Yeah, I play COD, swim, etc. I still do things just nothing on the campus of the college I attended lol

If you must know, all the activities I listed, entail lots of group work. Just bc I don't participate in campus activities doesn't mean I don't work well in a team
You: please give me advice
Also you: your advice is wrong.

Do whatever you want bro. It looks weird. College is about growing up and finding yourself. They want to think they're getting people that will be invested in the medical school. You cant even do that at your college as a way to work in some of your EC's.

You: please give me advice
Also you: your advice is wrong.

Do whatever you want bro. It looks weird. College is about growing up and finding yourself. They want to think they're getting people that will be invested in the medical school. You cant even do that at your college as a way to work in some of your EC's.

Dude. I think you need to calm down. Relax. I just asked a question. I will be invested in the medical school, and I really feel like I will be. I Just don't think the way to show "investment", is to be involved in activities on the campus of the college I attend. I feel there are other ways to show it. If you don't mind me asking, what campus activities did you engage in? So I can get an idea. I've joined clubs and done some events. Just want to spend my time in places outside of the campus of the college I attend.

Dude. I think you need to calm down. Relax. I just asked a question. I will be invested in the medical school, and I really feel like I will be. I Just don't think the way to show "investment", is to be involved in activities on the campus of the college I attend. I feel there are other ways to show it. If you don't mind me asking, what campus activities did you engage in? So I can get an idea. I've joined clubs and done some events. Just want to spend my time in places outside of the campus of the college I attend.
Don't ask for advice if you're going to whine and argue when you get it.

I did absolutely zero activities while in school. I drove to campus for class and then drove off when class ended. I did have a full time job working for a construction company. Not having school activity ECs never came up in my interviews.

Don't ask for advice if you're going to whine and argue when you get it.

Lol OK. Clearly someone's offended because their ego got hurt and I just pointed out a flaw in their logic and thinking. You literally made an assumption about how I don't work well with others because I don't do campus activities? So no activities outside of the campus, involve teamwork and working with others? Lol. I've got better advice on this thread. Guess you can't handle an insult. No wonder Goro takes a break from time to time.

I did absolutely zero activities while in school. I drove to campus for class and then drove off when class ended. I did have a full time job working for a construction company. Not having school activity ECs never came up in my interviews.

Really? Bc that's what I'm leaning towards at this point. I do a bunch of other stuff OUTSIDE of the campus so...

Lol OK. Clearly someone's offended because their ego got hurt and I just pointed out a flaw in their logic and thinking. You literally made an assumption about how I don't work well with others because I don't do campus activities? So no activities outside of the campus, involve teamwork and working with others? Lol. I've got better advice on this thread. Guess you can't handle an insult. No wonder Goro takes a break from time to time.
No.

You asked a question. I pointed out how that could come up in an interview, and instead of taking constructive feedback like an adult, you began acting like an arrogant pre-med know it all. I would just print out this thread and take it to your interviews. You wont have to worry about lack of campus involvement.

Again, don't ask for advice if you're just going to tell me I'm wrong.

I've done medical school interviews, residency interviews. I tried to offer friendly advice from that perspective. But this "get defensive" when someone suggests you may not be doing it the best way--they'll love that in a doctor in training. Go get em skippy.

Reactions: 1 users
No.

You asked a question. I pointed out how that could come up in an interview, and instead of taking constructive feedback like an adult, you began acting like an arrogant pre-med know it all. I would just print out this thread and take it to your interviews. You wont have to worry about lack of campus involvement.

Again, don't ask for advice if you're just going to tell me I'm wrong.

I've done medical school interviews, residency interviews. I tried to offer friendly advice from that perspective. But this "get defensive" when someone suggests you may not be doing it the best way--they'll love that in a doctor in training. Go get em skippy.

There's a way to give feedback. You pointed out how it may be used in an interview because I wouldn't be able to talk about how I worked in a team. I pointed out how I've worked in a team OUTSIDE of the campus. You're telling me that there're no ways to work in teams, besides within the campus of the college you attend?

Lol "arrogant premed know it all". Coming from someone who is trying to be condescending and patronizing! And in what way did I tell you you were wrong?? I don't see that anywhere on this entire thread. I simply said that I have other ways to show "teamwork" and then simply asked you what YOU did so I could get an idea and instead you accused me of whining. I feel like the only one being an arrogant know it all, is you.

I don't think you necessarily need to do things on campus. But having something that shows your interests/hobbies and willingness to get-involved in your community is a good thing. As others have mentioned, it's not so much that adcoms are looking to see what campus-specific activities you participated in, but rather want to see something in your application that tells them who you are beyond all the regular check-list stuff that virtually every pre-med has. While the activities you listed may involve a lot of great teamwork and you may genuinely enjoy all of them, they also look like the activities listed on 99% of applications. I know nothing more about you after reading them. Now if I looked at your application and saw that you were on the intramural rugby team or part of a monthly scif-fi movie-marathon group (whether it's on campus or just out in your community) it would give me a small glimpse into who you are beyond "chemdoctor: pre-med".

When I applied to med school I doubt that I got interview invites based on my hobbies/intramural activities. However, I do think that once I was at interviews, having those things to talk about allowed for a much richer conversation that ultimately helped me stand out from the crowd.

There's a way to give feedback. You pointed out how it may be used in an interview because I wouldn't be able to talk about how I worked in a team. I pointed out how I've worked in a team OUTSIDE of the campus. You're telling me that there're no ways to work in teams, besides within the campus of the college you attend?

Lol "arrogant premed know it all". Coming from someone who is trying to be condescending and patronizing! And in what way did I tell you you were wrong?? I don't see that anywhere on this entire thread. I simply said that I have other ways to show "teamwork" and then simply asked you what YOU did so I could get an idea and instead you accused me of whining. I feel like the only one being an arrogant know it all, is you.

You are whining. You posted to get the answer you wanted. When someone tried to point out how it could be negative, you got defensive. It's fine man. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere and whine the first time you get any semblence of constructive criticism.

Really? Bc that's what I'm leaning towards at this point. I do a bunch of other stuff OUTSIDE of the campus so...
Med schools ask about leadership and team building. Make sure some of these activities have that component. Mountain biking and running are great, but those introvert activities by themselves are insufficient.

Med schools ask about leadership and team building. Make sure some of these activities have that component. Mountain biking and running are great, but those introvert activities by themselves are insufficient.

I'm starting my own charity fundraiser and I'm P of a club. Would that help?

You are whining. You posted to get the answer you wanted. When someone tried to point out how it could be negative, you got defensive. It's fine man. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere and whine the first time you get any semblence of constructive criticism.

Nope. Not whining. Maybe read the other posters and responses I'm getting and learn how it's done? Or is that too much for your ego? Its not hard, just scroll up or down. You apparently can't handle it when someone questions your statements or logic. I just added that teamwork is done in other activities in addition to campus activities. There are other people giving better advice. Just look!

I don't think you necessarily need to do things on campus. But having something that shows your interests/hobbies and willingness to get-involved in your community is a good thing. As others have mentioned, it's not so much that adcoms are looking to see what campus-specific activities you participated in, but rather want to see something in your application that tells them who you are beyond all the regular check-list stuff that virtually every pre-med has. While the activities you listed may involve a lot of great teamwork and you may genuinely enjoy all of them, they also look like the activities listed on 99% of applications. I know nothing more about you after reading them. Now if I looked at your application and saw that you were on the intramural rugby team or part of a monthly scif-fi movie-marathon group (whether it's on campus or just out in your community) it would give me a small glimpse into who you are beyond "chemdoctor: pre-med".

When I applied to med school I doubt that I got interview invites based on my hobbies/intramural activities. However, I do think that once I was at interviews, having those things to talk about allowed for a much richer conversation that ultimately helped me stand out from the crowd.

I mean, yeah I know they're very cookie cutter (the ones I've listed), but I really do enjoy doing all of them. I volunteer at an orphanage and things like that. I do things that's not medical, mainly because I want to help the kids at the orphanage lol.

Nope. Not whining. Maybe read the other posters and responses I'm getting and learn how it's done? Or is that too much for your ego? Its not hard, just scroll up or down. You apparently can't handle it when someone questions your statements or logic. I just added that teamwork is done in other activities in addition to campus activities. There are other people giving better advice. Just look!
Again man,

I've done SDN. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to provide a thoughtful response. But when my first comment is met with arguing, I'm not inclined to help you.

Again man,

I've done SDN. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to provide a thoughtful response. But when my first comment is met with arguing, I'm not inclined to help you.

Perhaps you interpreted it as arguing. It was by no means, my intention. I just thought that you thought, that the activities I did aren't teamwork related when they are. I wanted to let you know that they are in fact team work related, which would help me get more advice. I didn't mean it in an argumentative way dude

I will be invested in the medical school, and I really feel like I will be.

Don't tell me, show me. Show me by indicating that you are involved and actively participating in the life of your community. One question: Are you a commuter student? Are you a non-traditional student with a spouse and/or kids?

Don't tell me, show me. Show me by indicating that you are involved and actively participating in the life of your community. One question: Are you a commuter student? Are you a non-traditional student with a spouse and/or kids?

Yes and no. I'm a commuter but not a student with a spouse or kids lol