Is it ok to ask for letters of recommendation well before you finish your program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAChemDawg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to ask your professor for a recommendation right after you get done taking his course if you did well and got to know him and he's willing to give you a good recommendation?

To me, this makes alot more sense, because a.) you're still fresh in his mind and he'll be better able to attest to your abilities and performance than several years after you took the course and b.) you already have your rec ready to go so you don't have to worry about your professors having to meet the deadlines like you would if you waited until a few months before you apply.

The only problem with this that I see is storage. You obviously can't see the rec, especially if you sign away your rights like you're supposed to, so who would keep it between the time it is written and the time you send it off? I've heard there are some services that will hold them for you for a fee. Does anyone know anything about this?

I just think it would make things easier if you could "collect" recommendations throughout your undergrad while you're still fresh in the professor's memory.

Members don't see this ad.

lol I thought we were suppose to ask for LORs right after completion of a course :confused:

UGAChemDawg said:
Is it ok to ask your professor for a recommendation right after you get done taking his course if you did well and got to know him and he's willing to give you a good recommendation?

To me, this makes alot more sense, because a.) you're still fresh in his mind and he'll be better able to attest to your abilities and performance than several years after you took the course and b.) you already have your rec ready to go so you don't have to worry about your professors having to meet the deadlines like you would if you waited until a few months before you apply.

The only problem with this that I see is storage. You obviously can't see the rec, especially if you sign away your rights like you're supposed to, so who would keep it between the time it is written and the time you send it off? I've heard there are some services that will hold them for you for a fee. Does anyone know anything about this?

I just think it would make things easier if you could "collect" recommendations throughout your undergrad while you're still fresh in the professor's memory.

Hi UGAChemDawg,

Why wouldn't it be OK to ask now? I don't see a probl with it, but other guys my have better idea.

Regarding storage - interfolio.com offers that service as well as distribution, it is confidential and they have 1yr (you can always re-subscribe) and I think 5yr subsciptoin options. I don't know their current rates but it is reasonable. Med Schls are OK with receiving LOR from interfolio. I am sure there are other such services available.

Hope this helps
Good luck
daffy

Have you spoken with your program's advisors yet? It seems like they should have something set up there for this. Otherwise, contact your undergrad school. I know mine give you access to their resources for life and they do have a committee that will take care of those things for you.

And you should do it while you're fresh in their mind. As a prof I would be really pissed if a student came to me four years after they'd taken my class and I had to pull my old records to see who this kid is. Writing those letters is part of the job and most don't mind a bit (besides, a student succeeding doesn't reflect poorly on them at all, so it's in their interest).