Is it possible to study abroad the summer of application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juliuscheezer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(This is my first post so forgive me for any mistakes.)

I've read through quite a few posts, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I was wondering if it would be possible to easily submit my AMCAS app and all that good stuff while abroad in Ireland (from the end of May to the end of July)? I'm planning on having my PS and anything else I can have prewritten and LOR's done before I go. Are there any logistic issues besides that to worry about? Also, I shouldn't have to worry about interviews so early on, right? That's my main issue. Somebody told me I could potentially have interviews during the summer, so I'm worried about that time conflict. But do people really get interviews that early?

I'll have done my MCAT either end of April/mid-May so it'll take some time for scores to get in as well. I'm trying to apply as early as possible, like in the beginning of June.

Honestly, my med school app is more important to me than studying abroad, but I really, really would love to take this opportunity. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied this cycle and spent all summer abroad (from early June to early/mid August), and I was also abroad a little over a week in May. I think it is definitely possible! I submitted my primary app super early (which I think helped my application anyways), and prewrote some secondaries before leaving. I had somebody as a back-up that could check my e-mails or submit secondaries, in case internet was not available to me, but I never needed that luckily.

The only thing that happened to me was that I had to move a couple interviews, because they wanted to schedule them for early August. But, I just got the next earliest interviews.

(This is my first post so forgive me for any mistakes.)

I've read through quite a few posts, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I was wondering if it would be possible to easily submit my AMCAS app and all that good stuff while abroad in Ireland (from the end of May to the end of July)? I'm planning on having my PS and anything else I can have prewritten and LOR's done before I go. Are there any logistic issues besides that to worry about? Also, I shouldn't have to worry about interviews so early on, right? That's my main issue. Somebody told me I could potentially have interviews during the summer, so I'm worried about that time conflict. But do people really get interviews that early?

I'll have done my MCAT either end of April/mid-May so it'll take some time for scores to get in as well. I'm trying to apply as early as possible, like in the beginning of June.

Honestly, my med school app is more important to me than studying abroad, but I really, really would love to take this opportunity. Any advice?

Go abroad. Primary/Secondary you can do from anywhere with an internet connection. You won't get any interviews before late August.