Is it possible to transfer to a US school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taken from the st. georges website www.sgu.edu

"The chances of transferring to a U.S. medical school from St. George?s University range from 5-15%. Due to full U.S. enrollment, there are few seats for advanced standing students available in U.S. medical schools. While St. George?s University?s students do obtain a majority of those available seats, you should not enter St. George?s University School of Medicine with the assumption that you can transfer to a U.S. medical school."

I m not really clear on what this means. "While St. George?s University?s students do obtain a majority of those available seats," what does this mean. Does it mean that if you want to it is possible to transfer to a US school?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a remote possibility... but don't count on it... According to a chart posted outside of Bourne, there have been 0-10 students who transferred the past few semesters out of classes of 320+...

Wouldn't count on it at all.. but it IS possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go there thinking you'll transfer out in a couple of years. There are only a handful of schools that will consider off shore students for transfer & it usually requires repeating a couple of courses (that they may deem not having met their standards). Some of these schools include (if they have seats available):

University of Vermont
MCP Hahnemann-Drexel
Southern Illinois University
Brown University
Dartmouth College
NEOUCOM
George Washington University

Good Luck!

add Albany Med to that list.

Originally posted by Global Disrobal
Don't go there thinking you'll transfer out in a couple of years. There are only a handful of schools that will consider off shore students for transfer & it usually requires repeating a couple of courses (that they may deem not having met their standards). Some of these schools include (if they have seats available):

University of Vermont
MCP Hahnemann-Drexel
Southern Illinois University
Brown University
Dartmouth College
NEOUCOM
George Washington University

Good Luck!

""While St. George?s University?s students do obtain a majority of those available seats," what does this mean. Does it mean that if you want to it is possible to transfer to a US school?"

This means of the seats available for trasnfer in students, sgu gets the lion's share. But its still few and far between.

Mt Sinai, SUNY Syracuse and U Miami also take.
But agreed, if you are oging with the single goal of transfering, dont waste your time. If you can live with being an sgu grad and want to try to transfer, more power to you.

If you are wanting to transfer to a US medschool then do NOT go to a caribbean school. It is possible to transfer but it is highly unlikely. I just graduated from Ross. My class had 130 students total. Eight of them scored over 250 on step 1. Several scored over 260. I think that we had about ten people transfer that year (a few being very good friends). The thing you must understand is that there are only a few spots open each year to transfer into. The odds of transfering are very very low. It will be much more competitive to transfer from a caribbean school than it is to get into a US school the first time. There is also another factor to consider. After transfering, you must redo a whole year. This is why I did not transfer. All of my friends that transfered will be in their fourth year of medschool when I start residency in July this year. If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me.

Chess

I transferred from Ross to a US school along with 3 others (not in my class) and did not have to repeat a year. I finished 5th semester in March and started 3rd year at the US school in June. It just depends on timing. If you start med school in the Fall then theoretically you can transfer without repeating. The other three that transferred were 1-3 semesters ahead of me and had already started clinicals so they did have to repeat some of third year. It paid off for them because 1 is doing ENT and the other two ortho.

Late

Originally posted by buckmedmd
I transferred from Ross to a US school along with 3 others (not in my class) and did not have to repeat a year. I finished 5th semester in March and started 3rd year at the US school in June. It just depends on timing. If you start med school in the Fall then theoretically you can transfer without repeating. The other three that transferred were 1-3 semesters ahead of me and had already started clinicals so they did have to repeat some of third year. It paid off for them because 1 is doing ENT and the other two ortho.

Late

When trying to transfer to a US school, what factors do the US schools look at? Do they look at undergrad performance? Grades while in the carribean? Test scores (MCAT USMLE)?

They look at all the above.the most likely transfer applicants are those who just missed getting into a US school the first time,ie If you were on waiting lists that did not come through.Even with outstanding board scores the chances are low,so be prepared for that.

Hello I am a Ross Student who just interviewed at Drexel for transfer into the third year class. I had poor undergraduate and MCAT scores (2.9 and 22P) but stellar medical school grades and USMLE score (4.0 and 258/99), The interview went well but I think I could have said more to sell myself better. With that said what do you think my chances are to get a seat this year? I will find out this week the final decision.

Wish me luck.

I have an interview coming up in Miami for Ross Univ....any suggestions??

chesspro_md said:
If you are wanting to transfer to a US medschool then do NOT go to a caribbean school. It is possible to transfer but it is highly unlikely. I just graduated from Ross. My class had 130 students total. Eight of them scored over 250 on step 1. Several scored over 260. I think that we had about ten people transfer that year (a few being very good friends). The thing you must understand is that there are only a few spots open each year to transfer into. The odds of transfering are very very low. It will be much more competitive to transfer from a caribbean school than it is to get into a US school the first time. There is also another factor to consider. After transfering, you must redo a whole year. This is why I did not transfer. All of my friends that transfered will be in their fourth year of medschool when I start residency in July this year. If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me.

Chess

njemt369 said:
Hello I am a Ross Student who just interviewed at Drexel for transfer into the third year class. I had poor undergraduate and MCAT scores (2.9 and 22P) but stellar medical school grades and USMLE score (4.0 and 258/99), The interview went well but I think I could have said more to sell myself better. With that said what do you think my chances are to get a seat this year? I will find out this week the final decision.

Wish me luck.

hey njemt369

i think i interviewed with you last week (i recognize your board score). i was interviewing for transfer into 2nd year at drexel. i'm glad to hear your interview went well. good luck to you man, and let us know how things turn out!

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people transfer each year? I think i heard 8 to 9 percent? That sounds really high though. That would mean around 30 to 40 people transfering each year?

Same with SGU?

Bill Lumbergh said:
hey njemt369

i think i interviewed with you last week (i recognize your board score). i was interviewing for transfer into 2nd year at drexel. i'm glad to hear your interview went well. good luck to you man, and let us know how things turn out!

I didn't know Drexel accept 2nd year. What do they look at inorder for you to get 2nd year at Drexel? any suggestions?

phisigman03 said:
I didn't know Drexel accept 2nd year. What do they look at inorder for you to get 2nd year at Drexel? any suggestions?

DO you mean they accept people into the 2nd year or do they accepted people who completed their second year?

chesspro_md said:

Chess

thats not true, my class at sgu starting jan03 had like 20-30 ppl transfer out. i can count at least 18 off the top of my head. and they all didn't have 250s and 260s. some did but the majority was 235 + who transferred. also i didn't have to redo anything. I did 3 weeks of my first psych rotation of 3rd year got in and didn't have to redo anything of the third year since i just started.....and most of those who transferred with me were in the same boat. i'd say 75% of the transfers didn't have to repeat anything. pretty smooth transition if you start sgu in the january class.

phisigman03 said:

obviously they'll look at your 1st year grades which should be a 4.0 or close to it if you want to stand a chance. they'll look at ur mcats since they don't want thier admisison stats to go down. and they'll look at ur undergad institution. the more prestigious the better. the first five they took at drexel last year as transfers went to berkeley, u penn, tufts, yale, and i can't think of the last one. notice the trends? our mcats scores were in the at least 27-34 range. usmles 230 - 260 range
most average to about 240-245.

hoep this helps.
Berk

and you sould have some extra carrics that make u i different or at least that u did something while u were in grenda. i did teaching biochem psysio DES
point is just do somthing extracurricular scuba dive alo start a club. do wel on the BSC basic science examins
those test help rank and you and letter for your rank will say top of class, mid tier, feeding from the bottom. who do you think now looks more like an atrractive applicant.

stephew said:
""While St. George?s University?s students do obtain a majority of those available seats," what does this mean. Does it mean that if you want to it is possible to transfer to a US school?"

This means of the seats available for trasnfer in students, sgu gets the lion's share. But its still few and far between.

Mt Sinai, SUNY Syracuse and U Miami also take.
But agreed, if you are oging with the single goal of transfering, dont waste your time. If you can live with being an sgu grad and want to try to transfer, more power to you.

i dont think the goal is realistic. i wanted the oppournity to trasnfer (not kept my soul set on acutlly making it happen) so i kept my grades up and placed a lot on step 1 cuz i knew it woudl be the way to get to wehere you want to be. plus if you even get to point of transferring that means you have 2 good thing things backing you; good grades and good step1. haveing that combo comeing from SGU should open great resdideny options during 4th year.
just try ur best, hope tranfer it works out sweet. if it doens'n't work than at least ur a bit more competive than the sgu kids that have less than sellar boards and grades. so try to trasfer!

berkeleyboy said:
thats not true, my class at sgu starting jan03 had like 20-30 ppl transfer out. i can count at least 18 off the top of my head. and they all didn't have 250s and 260s. some did but the majority was 235 + who transferred. also i didn't have to redo anything. I did 3 weeks of my first psych rotation of 3rd year got in and didn't have to redo anything of the third year since i just started.....and most of those who transferred with me were in the same boat. i'd say 75% of the transfers didn't have to repeat anything. pretty smooth transition if you start sgu in the january class.

Why is the January class better situated for transfer? DID all the transfers occur after the completion of basic sciences? Where there any after the completion of first year?

Thanx Berk. I didn't go to any prestigious institution but I do plan on making a transfer back to US soil. If not 2nd year then 3 rd year but it will happen.

berkeleyboy said:
obviously they'll look at your 1st year grades which should be a 4.0 or close to it if you want to stand a chance. they'll look at ur mcats since they don't want thier admisison stats to go down. and they'll look at ur undergad institution. the more prestigious the better. the first five they took at drexel last year as transfers went to berkeley, u penn, tufts, yale, and i can't think of the last one. notice the trends? our mcats scores were in the at least 27-34 range. usmles 230 - 260 range

hoep this helps.
Berk

hey berk

do you know how many students were able to transfer into year 2 at drexel your year? they're interviewing 6 from sgu alone this year, and those are just the ones i know about. that seems like a lot.

also, what'd they have you do about the classes sgu doesn't offer in first year, like nutrition, physician and patient, and ambulatory care?

The question is WHY are people interested in transferring? is it so terrible there? And don't carribbean med schools have sites to do clinicals in the 3rd and 4th year anyway?

My gf talks about possibly applying to the carribbean. Her gpa is probably around a 3.5? She hasn't taken her MCAT yet but isn't the greatest test taker. She has some volunteer work in a hospital and will do some more. She changed over to pre-med just this past semester (she is a junior) so is just starting her pre-med requirements. No hook or anything. She is taking a year off after her senior year.

So the question is should she apply to the carribean, DO schools, MD schools or a combination of all 3?

berkeleyboy said:
excuse my ignorance but what is the range for USMLE? what is considered a good score?

Does anyone know how many seats Drexel has into the third year this year? If you go onto this site: http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/ and you search by policy, it says drexel has 11 seats this year... if you search by school it says Drexel had 11 seats last year and there is no number listed for this year. Does anyone know which if any are correct?

I was just informed that I was rejected from Drexel for transfer. Congrats to all 5 that got in. They said my undergrad GPA and MCAT scores were just too low even with a 4.0 medical school GPA and a 258 on USMLE step 1... So go figure. There is no way to redeem yourself after doing poorly in undergraduate it seems.

njemt369 said:
I was just informed that I was rejected from Drexel for transfer. Congrats to all 5 that got in. They said my undergrad GPA and MCAT scores were just too low even with a 4.0 medical school GPA and a 258 on USMLE step 1... So go figure. There is no way to redeem yourself after doing poorly in undergraduate it seems.

If you dont mind me asking what where your undergrad stats? If you dont feel comfortable you can PM me or its cool if you just dont feel comfortable telling anyone.

njemt369 said:
Does anyone know how many seats Drexel has into the third year this year? If you go onto this site: http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/ and you search by policy, it says drexel has 11 seats this year... if you search by school it says Drexel had 11 seats last year and there is no number listed for this year. Does anyone know which if any are correct?

So drexel is accepting 11 transfers into their 3rd year class?

Do most schools have a certain number that they accept for transfer each year?

What other schools generally accept SGU and ROSS grads for transfer?

NRAI2001 said:

umm, from njemt's last post, it sounds like drexel took 5 into 3rd year this year.

most schools accept very few and most likely zero transfers. they don't save any spots specifically for transfers. the spots open due to attrition, which isn't an issue for most schools.

look at the link njemt posted and click on "search by policy" and then select "students in international med schools listed by the WHO" then click search. it'll list the schools which accept transfers into 2nd and 3rd year. you're gonna have to click on the schools' individual pages and do a little searching for specific policies though, cuz each school is diffferent. for example, george washington says it takes transfers into second year, but requires step 1 from foreign med students to do it, so that's basically out of the question for us.

so what kind of mcat score and undergrad GPA do you have to have to make a transfer to a us school?

Bill Lumbergh said:
umm, from njemt's last post, it sounds like drexel took 5 into 3rd year this year.

most schools accept very few and most likely zero transfers. they don't save any spots specifically for transfers. the spots open due to attrition, which isn't an issue for most schools.

look at the link njemt posted and click on "search by policy" and then select "students in international med schools listed by the WHO" then click search. it'll list the schools which accept transfers into 2nd and 3rd year. you're gonna have to click on the schools' individual pages and do a little searching for specific policies though, cuz each school is diffferent. for example, george washington says it takes transfers into second year, but requires step 1 from foreign med students to do it, so that's basically out of the question for us.

So for George washington you could transfer, but you would have to repeat 2nd year?

NRAI2001 said:

In case of any confusion. Drexel took 11 into their 3rd year class last year. I know this b/c this is my class and there are 11 of us who transferred. 7 were from SGU, 3 from Ross and 1 from University of Guatalajara.

Bill Lumbergh said:
hey berk

do you know how many students were able to transfer into year 2 at drexel your year? they're interviewing 6 from sgu alone this year, and those are just the ones i know about. that seems like a lot.

also, what'd they have you do about the classes sgu doesn't offer in first year, like nutrition, physician and patient, and ambulatory care?

Hmmm, my year into 2nd year class I can count 3 off the top of my head. Might be as high as 5 tho.

I'm not too sure about the classes that sgu doesn't offer in the first year. It seems to work out so I guess don't worry too much about it.

Berk

phisigman03 said:
so what kind of mcat score and undergrad GPA do you have to have to make a transfer to a us school?

Honestly, I think US school's are still looking for attractive transfer applicants that have decent undergrad GPAs and MCAT scores who come from prestigious universities. Bottom line it helps thier applicant statistics. They don't want their applicant stats to go down accepting students (even with stellar USMLEs and med school GPAs) with mcats in the low 20s and gpas in the 2 point something range.

I'm thinking the closer you are to being in the competitve range for US schools the better. MCAT around 30 and GPA at least 3 point something.

berkeleyboy said:
In case of any confusion. Drexel took 11 into their 3rd year class last year. I know this b/c this is my class and there are 11 of us who transferred. 7 were from SGU, 3 from Ross and 1 from University of Guatalajara.

Why is it that Drexel takes so many transfers? How large is their class? Do people fail out?

Also why do they take so many transfers from foreign schools?

Are there other schools that tend to take a lot of carribean transfers also? Just to get an idea of what schools are more receptive once the time comes.

berkeleyboy said:

hoep this helps.
Berk

Why is a yale grad with a 27-34 mcat going to sgu? ****ty gpa?

njemt369 said:

Dear njemt369,

Sorry to hear that.

I applied but I haven't got an interview yet. Does that mean I have no hope?

How did you find out that 5 people were accepted. I thought the aamc website said that drexel had 11 openings.

Also, do you know by any chance what percentage of students they interviewed actually get accepted.

Sorry if I am asking mundane questions, but just anxious.

Thanks,
nyc_dr_wannabe

You need to have undergrad and MCAT scores comperable to their first year stats. Even with stellar medical school performance. This is because they have to maintain their statistics for entering students. I had 3.0 and 22P on my undergrad GPA and MCAt respectfully, then a 4.0 and 258 on USMLE in medical school. This got me an inteview and followed by a rejection letter by drexel and nothing from the other schools that were accepting transfers this year. If anyone got in congrats!

berkeleyboy said:

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me how long after your interview it took for you to hear from Drexel, and when did you start your clinical rotations there (i.e. July or August). Also, do you know what percent of people they interview for transfer positions are actually accepted? I've applied but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
Thanks.

njemt369 said:

After all this why transfer? Seems that Drexel is just well, obtuse to the whole thing anyway, you did so well and are almost through just stay with SGU and finish now cause as far as residency it wont matter, you still did the first 2 years as an FMG. Your an FMG still if you transfer.

Unless you start from scratch LOL :confused:

oldpro said:
After all this why transfer? Seems that Drexel is just well, obtuse to the whole thing anyway, you did so well and are almost through just stay with SGU and finish now cause as far as residency it wont matter, you still did the first 2 years as an FMG. Your an FMG still if you transfer.

Unless you start from scratch LOL :confused:

If you transfer are you still considered an FMG?

hey everyone
i wanted to say hi and chat with some people. Transfering is a prospect id like to look into. I am 4th semester at Ross, GPA 4.0 lets see how the step goes. My GPA from Stony Brook was 3.62, I have 5 years as a registered nurse (not sure if that helps) but my MCAT sucked. I feel a bit discouraged now from the above posts. Wondering what my chances are.
njemt 369: Im really sorry to u didnt get into Drexler i was rooting for u. I cant believe a 258 didnt do it. U are my idol anyway thats awesome. U are still gonna get a great residency with that score.

I am hoping someone has some sound advice for me. Talk to u soon :)

mysophobe said:
Why is a yale grad with a 27-34 mcat going to sgu? ****ty gpa?

I think a lot of people underestimate the type of students that attend SGU. Sure there are some *******es down there but there are also ALOT of smart people down there. Not everyone studied in college including myself, and its not rare to find students at SGU coming from IVY leagues with competitive mcat scores and not so hot GPAs. If these same individuals find themselves motivated in medical school, they'll end up wtih stellar USMLE scores. There were kids from Cornell, Berkeley, Hardvard, Yale, in my class. I think there were also like 25-30 kids from UCLA in the class just after mine.

Does anybody know what the abbreviation "LBA" stands for on the AAMC website? For many schools, under the number of openings available for this year they post "LBA".

njemt369 said:
You need to have undergrad and MCAT scores comperable to their first year stats. Even with stellar medical school performance. This is because they have to maintain their statistics for entering students. I had 3.0 and 22P on my undergrad GPA and MCAt respectfully, then a 4.0 and 258 on USMLE in medical school. This got me an inteview and followed by a rejection letter by drexel and nothing from the other schools that were accepting transfers this year. If anyone got in congrats!

That bites! Sorry you didn't get to transfer. How annoying that they kinda led you on by interviewing you - I mean, they knew your numbers before that. If they want to use that as an excuse, why invite you, y'know? That kind of stuff really bugs me... :smuggrin:

BTW, congrats on doing so well in med school!

Reactions: 1 user
njemt369 said:

That bites! Sorry you didn't get to transfer. How annoying that they kinda led you on by interviewing you - I mean, they knew your numbers before that. If they want to use that as an excuse, why invite you, y'know? That kind of stuff really bugs me... :smuggrin:

BTW, congrats on doing so well in med school!

i need some advice, what is optimal study time for STEP 1?? thanks

I also applied to for transfer..several years ago.

May I ask for those who did not have great stats in undergrad, how you transformed yourself into such a stellar med student. And whether, the type of education you got at SGU or Ross contributed to such stellar board scores. Thx.