This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepingUpWithK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've switched my major from Nursing to Biology my sophomore year. I'm currently a junior now and have a 2.6 ogpa im not far into my major's courses meaning I've only taken 3 courses in the "major field courses" and have a 2.71 sgpa so far. My science, math, & tech core courses gpa is a 3.7 right now (I have two more courses to take). Is it possible for me to get into a dental school? I've had personal issues in the past and I'm trying to get back on track with my grades so I could get into a dental school which has a minimum requirement of a 2.8 gpa but avg. 3.5 and sgpa 3.5. I know it's going to take a lot of work but I'm determined. Any advisors out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a strong last two years I would say it is very realistic for you to get a 3.0. However to get accepted into dental school you will likely need more than that. You may have to take some post-bacc courses, retake some of the pre-reqs, or even apply for a masters program. You will also have the opportunity to explain your difficulties. Finally you will need to show that you have a strong understanding of the material by killing the DAT. In addition I would also say that you would need to show a strong dedication to the field with your extracurriculars (ie volunteering, shadowing, etc) for a good shot. Theres a thread on here that helps people with below average GPAs that I think you should take a look at. (I think it's called 'Anyone get accepted with below a 3.2' but I'm not sure)

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible? Sure.

Is it likely? No. Be realistic with yourself. Keep in mind that just because one got into dental school does not mean he or she will automatically become a dentist. You have to survive dental school itself, which is infinitely more difficult than cherry-picking a couple classes in undergrad with the best rate-my-professor ratings.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a strong last two years I would say it is very realistic for you to get a 3.0. However to get accepted into dental school you will likely need more than that. You may have to take some post-bacc courses, retake some of the pre-reqs, or even apply for a masters program. You will also have the opportunity to explain your difficulties. Finally you will need to show that you have a strong understanding of the material by killing the DAT. In addition I would also say that you would need to show a strong dedication to the field with your extracurriculars (ie volunteering, shadowing, etc) for a good shot. Theres a thread on here that helps people with below average GPAs that I think you should take a look at. (I think it's called 'Anyone get accepted with below a 3.2' but I'm not sure)
Thank you! and I looked at the wrong one it's a 2.71 but I will still take in your advice because I am trying to be great

Is it possible? Sure.

Is it likely? No. Be realistic with yourself. Keep in mind that just because one got into dental school does not mean he or she will automatically become a dentist. You have to survive dental school itself, which is infinitely more difficult than cherry-picking a couple classes in undergrad with the best rate-my-professor ratings.
Right thank you!

Is it possible? Sure.

Just because your daddy went to dental school doesn't mean you get to comment on OPs ability to succeed in dental school even if he were to get in.

The answer murra651 provided is more than sufficient without your negative contribution. Next semester will already make the OP decide if he wants to continue on this road or not, when he sees his final grades and realizes the amount of effort that it will require for the following semesters. If he manages to get straight A's, who are we to say other wise?