Is it realistic to work 80 hours per week every week in pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the OP likes to work 80 hours per week which is enjoyable for him, then I say we have no right to tell him to do otherwise.

Some people are penny pinchers and love to live frugally. Some would rather live large. Who am I to say what's right or wrong.

So 80 hours a week? Go for it!

Zpacksux, thank you. You're awsome... and you are correct, some are penny pinchers who complain about things they cant have....like vacations/time off because they didnt want to sacrifice those few years.....and then got married.

Sdn1977 thank you for the advice. I would be horrible for someone else to suffer due to a silly error. It does put things in perspetive.

Members don't see this ad.

lol...guess the question of whether the OP is a ***** has been answered right there :laugh::laugh: i IM'd this to my accountant friend and she had a good laugh

And what does your accountant friend drive? Does she own a home? Do you?

This isn't specifically directed at the OP, but I just don't understand the obsession with flashy cars and over-the-top houses, etc. I want a reliable car that looks good, and I want a nice house, but I don't plan on working my butt off or going into excessive debt to buy a $80,000 car or $600,000 house.

I grew up lower-middle class, but I never felt like we went without much. And I don't plan on living lavishly once I do have more money than my parents ever had. I guess that I just don't measure my self worth based on if other people think I'm rich or not.

Edit: One more thing - just because you have money doesn't mean that you should spend it. Confetti's accountant friend may have figured that out and hence, probably doesn't have a $$$$ car.

Members don't see this ad :)

What does that have to do with anything, seriously? I mean my god man, the fact that you just asked that says a lot about your understanding of wealth and personal finance. How does nice car= rich?

Just let it go and be happy that you received some perspective on pharmacists working many hours/week.

One more thing........So if the accountant doesn't drive a car that you consider nice, he is wrong, I mean seriously, you are just making yourself look more ignorant. Would you trust a pharmacist you recommended GENERIC over BRAND NAME then? Trying to follow your thought process.

What does that have to do with anything, seriously? I mean my god man, the fact that you just asked that says a lot about your understanding of wealth and personal finance. How does nice car= rich?

Just let it go and be happy that you received some perspective on pharmacists working many hours/week.

One more thing........So if the accountant doesn't drive a car that you consider nice, he is wrong, I mean seriously, you are just making yourself look more ignorant. Would you trust a pharmacist you recommended GENERIC over BRAND NAME then? Trying to follow your thought process.

That’s not what I meant. Nice car does not = rich (read the millionaire next door). All cars are terrible investments but until we get large enough, sustainable, clean and socially distigmatized public transit we are going to need them. I wanted to make a point about what type of person (and his/her accountant) would call me a *****. If you are going to say something, and insult me I am going to call you on it and even prove you wrong. Did I come in here to disrespect anyone? No. I asked a question.

The question was about the effectiveness of a short term strategy to address a concern. I got some great responses when they were serious, from pharmacists in the field. Dr M. was correct when s/he basically said that some people have no business posting because the implication was that the question be answered by pharmacists who have done this.....not those who have never done this and have opinions about what things SHOULD BE LIKE.

People move up the career latter anyway, so after a few years it wouldn’t be necessary to work 80 hours as an Admin/Gov. Admin anyway (just 60 :))

I also want to make it clear that just because I asked this question (and is it really a crime to have a dream car?) it does not mean that I entered the field solely for financial gain. My ultimate purpose is to make a positive contribution towards drug policy that will benefit the American people, no matter how annoying they may be at the counter :).

This ranges anywhere from stopping drug companies from marketing drugs as "ethnic" and being fascist ( see Bidil) to decreasing the cost gap created by recent Medicare policies.

Working 80hrs/wk and helping to prevent fascism and racism is going to be a full time job, I know I could not handle it, I am having a hard enough time between learning to play the harp and tivoing my favorite shows.

LOL...funny woman.

You know...life in Texas is very economical. Work/Vacation to NE was a month ago...how time flies. Though your description of my work is spot on... I have to say it's getting quite hot here in Texas.

Looks like we may be getting a large news on PPIs in Cardiac Adverse events. This could be absolutely huge. Every cell in the body has proton pumps... so what effect does it have that we weren't aware of?

And don't be jealous....you lead a charmed life!

I actually took PTO last couple of days.. my pharmacist buddies, one from San Ramon and one from Colorado...and another buddy from Antioch are here with their families. Full house!:love:

Good gosh - visiting TX in August.....I've been there in April - that was hot enough!!!!

Oh yeah - PPI's - goodness......have I been "pushed" on this. You'd think this was the next miracle (hmmmmm - or not!). I just had Aciphex give me the latest & greatest news - I'm expecting this from all the "branded" PPIs. New indication = extended patent life.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm waiting for the next batch of studies. I just had dinner last weekend with a bunch of dentists (hard to believe:rolleyes:) & they were talking about the difficulty they've had with tissue & bone grafting in pts taking bisphosphonates. Not full blown osteonecrosis, but just poor success.

Oral medicine (some of these folks also teach at UOP or UCSF dental school) has actually biopsied the bone & found the bone a avascular. So - no graft will take hold.

Now, we've got proton pump inhibitors affecting CA metabolism as well as cardiac function (makes sense).......we really don't know a lot of this physiology very well.

Glad to hear the vacation was good - almost time for school now.

Yeah - I'm pretty well blessed - both MSIII & digital boy are due home this weekend - will be fun!!!

Digital Boy?? :laugh: Not sure if I remember you calling him them. So Ms MSIII will be home for a few weeks? I'm sure she'll be busy visiting with friends?

Dallas is hot right now. I think 103 to 106...hottest it's been this year. My buddies are dying. Bunch of Wusses.

Wow...I would've never thunk that about Bisphophonate. We're actually on a crusade to take it off the formulary at our hospitals...not because of avascular issues...rather safety issue with tiussue necrosis.

The PPI and cardiovascular thing could be huge... I doubt it'll be anything like Vioxx... probably more like the Avandia or slightly more severe. Thank god for H2 blockers...

Yup...school starts next week. I start my travel again next week. And I do have my annual golf trip to Oregon in September.. at least it won't be hot.

I didn't read the entire thread. But I like name Ban Bidil. The OP is right... Bidil is an ethnic drug with a very cheesy marketing. They will target hospitals with a higher than average % of Blacks and will provide discount program. Also, they will seek out Black cardiologists to put them on the speakers program.

I've always substituted Bidil with hydralazine and Isosorbide. Then I insisted they match my cost of the combo in order for me to put it on the formulary. They acutally came through with my request. Because they know, patients will get the brand when they leave.

I also recommend all of you read the Millionaire Next Door. SDN doesn't need to...Then read "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.

It will be a tremendous personal growth.

It may be hard to believe.. but I was one of the biggest A**holes out there when I was young. :smuggrin: Dale Carnegie's book helped me a lot in seeing myself and I realized what a D**K I was.

Digital Boy?? :laugh: Not sure if I remember you calling him them. So Ms MSIII will be home for a few weeks? I'm sure she'll be busy visiting with friends?

Dallas is hot right now. I think 103 to 106...hottest it's been this year. My buddies are dying. Bunch of Wusses.

Wow...I would've never thunk that about Bisphophonate. We're actually on a crusade to take it off the formulary at our hospitals...not because of avascular issues...rather safety issue with tiussue necrosis.

The PPI and cardiovascular thing could be huge... I doubt it'll be anything like Vioxx... probably more like the Avandia or slightly more severe. Thank god for H2 blockers...

Yup...school starts next week. I start my travel again next week. And I do have my annual golf trip to Oregon in September.. at least it won't be hot.

Oh yeah - Digital Boy - getting his degree in digital media...truly a different language when he starts going on & on, but very helpful when I have a computer glitch. He's had an internship with a radio station.....had to go to places like Hooters, concerts, etc...where they've recorded live stuff & he's been doing the digital work. Tough gig for a 22 yo boy (man???:eek:).

MSIII is home for 10 days only. No friends around anymore - she's been out of high school for 7 years now so they've all moved on. She keeps in touch with them thru the internet "ether". So - we've got her to ourselves (If we can keep her awake....she just took her IM Shelf exam - a big test).

Third grade - hmm....multiplication tables...what a thing to look forward to!

We'll have to watch this PPI thing....its not like its been a new thing. Someone needs to do a big retrospective look at Prilosec over all those years we used it. Personally, I don't think there's a bit of difference of one over another risk wise. Remember when they first came out - the risk was GI CA from long term high pH in the stomach. I don't think anyone even looked at other proton pumps in other parts of the body.

Bah - there is no reason for bisphophonates in an acute hospital! Pts don't stay long enough & the risk is too high!!!

Have fun golfing!

She drives a Mercedes, I drive an accord (i'm a closet environmentalist), she does not own a home (waiting for the market to bottom out before jumping in), and I own a home in concert with my parents through an S corporation as a majority shareholder.

anyway, i pointed your deficiencies of reality out regarding your aversion to student loans and your apparent inability to grasp the concept of a tax deduction and everything else that was said above. Paying a free loan down ahead of taking advantage of the power of compounding interest is just plain....stupid. All loans aren't the same...that's 6th grade logic at work. Chinese proverb: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

but yes, if you want to work 80 hours a week....more power to you. just let us all know which pharmacy it is so we can keep an eye on the newspapers there in a few years.

The med and dental students are talking about the same thing. Chill with trying to pay off your loans by your 3rd year out of school. If you want the money take it but easy with the loans Whoever said that this is good debt is spot on. If you can consolidate at a good rate it'll be cheaper, you're paying off your loans with inflated dollars. Econ 101.

I have a pharmacist who puts in 44 hours at my store (salaried) then picks up another 40 hours and says hes making close to 180k after taxes. He says his loans will be payed in only two years.

If your pharmacist is working that much and not putting his money in investments but instead just paying off loans then he is not as smart as you think. Like others say, killing someone is not how you want to start out your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Side point: if someone wanted to get rich...pharmacy really is NOT the way to go.

Compared to our friends who graduated at 22 and went into the business/financial sector, if you add up the opportunity cost of going into a PharmD program ($50k/yr income lost avg x 4 = $200k), the cost of pharmacy school and living expenses ($45k/yr estimate x 4 = $180k), and any 401k matches they got + compounding interest....your net worth is going to be WAY negative compared to them right out of school, and it will take a while to catch up.

It's worse if you have ambitious friends, that catch up may not even happen if their salaries & bonuses approach the $120-150k+/yr mark, which is not unheard of.

But everyone in here already knew that anyway...you all are pharmacists (and pharmacy students) for other reasons. Plus, you can't measure happiness and security in dollars :D

Side point: if someone wanted to get rich...pharmacy really is NOT the way to go.

Compared to our friends who graduated at 22 and went into the business/financial sector, if you add up the opportunity cost of going into a PharmD program ($50k/yr income lost avg x 4 = $200k), the cost of pharmacy school and living expenses ($45k/yr estimate x 4 = $180k), and any 401k matches they got + compounding interest....your net worth is going to be WAY negative compared to them right out of school, and it will take a while to catch up.

It's worse if you have ambitious friends, that catch up may not even happen if their salaries & bonuses approach the $120-150k+/yr mark, which is not unheard of.

There are too many assumptions in this post.
First, the person has to enter into a career that offers an outlet to 120-150K. Most university professors with +12 years of education can't even make that.
Personally, people that I know who only make $50,000 have very little money in savings.
Second, life is very expensive. My former PIC will pay $100,000 for her children's private education by the time they both graduate high school.

bisphosphonates are not hospital drugs!
:idea:

I would also like to point out that 2% interest rates on student loans are a THING OF THE PAST. These days, your lucky to get to 5.5% (the majority of mine are at 8% right now). So I don't blame the OP for wanting to get rid of them.

I work with pharmacists ALL THE TIME that have their loans at 2%. **** at 2%, I wouldn't bother busting my butt to get rid of them either.

But 8% is much different. I want them gone and then I can have some financial peace knowing that my paycheck is mine.... ALL MINE (to invest or waste however I see fit) and I think that's probably how the OP feels as well. Some people just aren't comfortable having debt, even so called good debt.

how much would someone earn yearly working 80-90 hrs a week? and how much would you take home after taxes?

how much would someone earn yearly working 80-90 hrs a week? and how much would you take home after taxes?

You can assume a retail pharmacist makes $50/hr, although some will make more and some will make less.
$50/hr X 85hrs/week X 52 weeks/year(+/- vacation, sick pay) = $221,000/year

This yearly income would fall into the 33% tax bracket unless the person is filing separate but married, which would be 35%.
So... $221,000 X 67% = $148,070

When I put the income into the calculator the tax was 26.16%. I'm not sure where that percentage originates from because I'm not a tax expert nor did I get to finish my BA in Economics, but the income after that tax percentage would be $163,178.

There may be deductions to consider. Everyone will have a different situation.

http://www.finance.cch.com/sohoApplets/Tax1040.asp

I hope this helps!

There are too many assumptions in this post.
First, the person has to enter into a career that offers an outlet to 120-150K. Most university professors with +12 years of education can't even make that.
Personally, people that I know who only make $50,000 have very little money in savings.
Second, life is very expensive. My former PIC will pay $100,000 for her children's private education by the time they both graduate high school.

Oh I know...I just wanted to illustrate the point that if someone were *only* interested in money money money, pharmacy is probably not the best place to be (despite the high starting salaries). If you wanted to restrict it to health, the best return on investment would be nursing... All of the RN/BSN people I know are in the six figure range.

I remember seeing a chart in high school showing the avg salary if you only have a HS diploma, AA degree, BS/BA degree, MS/MA, and Ph.D.....it all went up until you hit PhD...and it took a dip.

IMO - is itsnt realistic to spit out 17 kids in nearly that many years. Doesnt keep people from doing it.

Do what you want. At least your intentions for the money you will be earning is honorable.

I think that working so long hours is not good for you and for your clients. Workaholism is a sickness! You should maybe find some other activities. Start live...

I would also like to point out that 2% interest rates on student loans are a THING OF THE PAST. These days, your lucky to get to 5.5% (the majority of mine are at 8% right now). So I don't blame the OP for wanting to get rid of them.

I work with pharmacists ALL THE TIME that have their loans at 2%. **** at 2%, I wouldn't bother busting my butt to get rid of them either.

But 8% is much different. I want them gone and then I can have some financial peace knowing that my paycheck is mine.... ALL MINE (to invest or waste however I see fit) and I think that's probably how the OP feels as well. Some people just aren't comfortable having debt, even so called good debt.

I agree, private loans are different. I'm not sure I would classify a "non-traditional" student loan as good debt, simply because the terms are awful. The interest rates are variable, with no maximum, and there is likely no forbearance clause in a private loan. I would want to pay off any non-fixed interest loans as quickly as possible, as they are a liability (even 8% is historically pretty low for a private loan, so you can count on it going up).

This is definitely not the case with Federal Stafford Loans. All Stafford loans are currently fixed at 6.8% interest, and depending on your lender and the deal they cut with you, this rate will be less in repayment...or they will give you a percentage lump sum payment against your principle at graduation, or some combination thereof. Through Sallie Mae, my current loans will be at 5.5% in repayment.

The terms of these loans are the kicker though. Say you have an emergency and you don't want to make payments on your loan for a few months...just give your lender a call (you have up to 3 YEARS of forbearance). Now interest will still be accruing during forbearance, but try to call your bank and ask if you can stop paying on your mortgage for a few months, or a car loan...they'll have a good laugh!

The subsidised stafford loans are also interest free as long as you are enrolled at least half-time at an accredited college or university. A friend of mine, whose loans are in repayment, takes online classes every semester at a local community college, enough to be considered half-time. The amount he pays for classes is about half of the interest he saves in a year! (legal, but not ethical as we pay his interest in taxes)

Bottom line is, a fixed rate Stafford loan is not a loan anyone with finacial good sense is going to want to pay off early. By paying off my loan early, I would experience the opportunity cost of not having invested that extra money at a higher rate of return. I would also have the opportunity cost of not paying down the loan with inflated future dollars (remember a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow).

Example:

A $150,000 loan @ 5.5% ammortized to 10 years would cost you $20,000/y. If you kept investing $20,000 per year at 8% interest, after you paid your loan in full, in 15 years you would end up with $543,042

If you instead ammortized the $150,000 loan to 25 years, it would cost you $11,200/y. By taking the difference of $8,800 and investing it at 8%, in 25 years you would end up with $643,332

In this case, paying early ultimately COSTS you an extra $100k :eek:. Such is the power of compounded interest...

bio - that's a very detailed response, but you left out one important point...

what's your avatar?:)

bio - that's a very detailed response, but you left out one important point...

what's your avatar?:)

It's a big %&$ jackfruit of course. Sucker was about half the size of a VW bug! It's amazing those things can grow on a tree. Hmmm jackfruit shake:love: , now I'm hungry dammit.

i have yet to experience the jackfruit. one of my techs is from india, and says they grow 'em big there, too..
where do you get them if you were, say, living in NY?