Is it still possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmakey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a freshman this fall at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, MN. I wish to pursue a degree in chemistry and a music minor. I didn't end up starting off on the premed track and my first semester classes are: calc 2, principles of chemistry, music theory (for music minor), band/lessons, and a required writing seminar class. I'm just wondering if this could be a good way to start if I end up officially deciding to go the medicine route. I kinda ruled it out because I'm scared if all the tests, but now I'm thinking again and need some advice. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken any college coursework before or have you received any college credits?

You haven't done anything yet, of course it's possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you taken any college coursework before or have you received any college credits?
I will get out of one writing and one English class because of my AP lit score, I earned a 5 on AP chem but I'm retaking chem anyways, 5 on calc ab so I'm taking calc 2. I also took AP physics 1, AP Lang, AP human geo, and AP us history but those scores weren't high enough for my college to accept for credit.

You haven't done anything yet, of course it's possible.
I'm wondering if I'll be behind by not taking any psych or sociology this semester and I wouldn't be taking bio either until sophomore year..

I'm wondering if I'll be behind by not taking any psych or sociology this semester and I wouldn't be taking bio either until sophomore year..
I don't know how the Curriculum works at Gustavus so some of these questions are best directed towards your adviser, but you may be alright to still take the mcat after 3 years assuming you can take your upper level biology courses they recommend for the mcat (Genetics, Physiology,etc.). Worst case scenario you have to wait one year longer, but what someone close to me has been telling me for awhile, if you really want to be a doctor the rest of your life, then waiting one more year doesn't make much difference. Go in and talk with your adviser and see if you can get some kind of relatively tentative 4 year plan punched out. Plus your semester hasn't even started yet, you can still switch things around and include gen bio. Don't worry so much about psych and soc, it is just recommended you take an intro course some time before taking the MCAT