is it too late to enter dental school at age 29 or 30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it?

From what age, would it be considered too old to enter dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

You're probably too old when you're dead... honestly 30's not so bad a lot of people here are probably older then that. There are a lot of non traditional applicants who are in their 40's and stuff, it's more of a matter of, how long do you want to be practicing for, if you're 60 it doesn't make sense to go back to school...IMO

I am 32 and applying for next year. It is never to late to go to school!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i'm 31. just started this year. we have a 40+ year old, PhD, former professor in our first year class as well. it's never too late.

Reactions: 1 users
check out the 'how old will you be when you enter/start dental school" poll, and you'll get some inspiration:)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm 29 and starting in August.

I am 34 and just got in. I had a paradigm shift a couple of years ago, and figured I will be forty someday- I might as well be doing something I enjoy for a living.

Is it?

From what age, would it be considered too old to enter dental school?

No way! Go for it! :bow:

Many schools like the older applicants better or so I have heard.

Absolutely not!! I'm 35 and after spending 10 years in the Military, I'm going for it. Had four interviews and received four acceptances. Don't ever let your age hold you back from your dreams. Good luck!

Why in the world would you think 30 is too old? When you graduate you will be 34 or so. Even if you plan on retiring at 50 which is very early you'll still have 15+ years as a dentist. Now if you retire closer to 60 or even 65 thats potentially 30 years as a dentist. Thats a really long time. So to answer your question, no way is 29 or 30 too late to start school. Go for it.

I agree with the previous posts. Speaking from a non-trad point of view...If you really want to do it, just get the ball moving. You'll find that things will eventually fall into place for you. Good luck!

To Mikedoc:

We have people in our class in their late 20s, early 30s, even mid 50s! So, I guess you could say it's never too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I hear this question about age and education, I anwer it like this:

If you are 30 years old now........................

1) In 6 years you will be a 36 year old dentist

or

2) In 6 years you will be a 36 year old _____________.

There are only 2 choices here, pick the one that you think fits you best!!

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be 32 when I start dental school this Fall. I have an accounting degree and have worked in a cubicle for 5 years. I took a year off and did the science courses. So far I have offers from Marquette and Indiana. I am leaning towards Marquette, any opinions or advice? I am so excited for this change!

I only have more encouraging words: I am 35 and I will be starting Dental school next year (with my family) at 36 and I will graduate when I am 39, going on 40. I had my first career and I'm moving on to my next! You'll feel like a kid again! I figure I could practice for 20-25 years and beyond! If I didn't do it, after the 4 years were up, I'd kick myself, thinking, "I could be a dentist right now!!"

I only have more encouraging words: I am 35 and I will be starting Dental school next year (with my family) at 36 and I will graduate when I am 39, going on 40. I had my first career and I'm moving on to my next! You'll feel like a kid again! I figure I could practice for 20-25 years and beyond! If I didn't do it, after the 4 years were up, I'd kick myself, thinking, "I could be a dentist right now!!"
Pretty identical situation for me too. The way I see it is you only get one life, so don't pass on anything and have to live with regrets later on. Plus, I'm looking foward to being around a younger crowd, compared to the cranky old codgers I work with now. I'm gonna need to get back in shape to do some more keg-stands though.

33 and over.

I will be 31 when I start school, and I think the timing is just right. I think the extra life experiences gave me insight that I could not possibly have had ten years ago when I got out of college, and have given me awareness of what I really want to do with my life and what I want. When I graduate and hopefully get licensed with a specialty, I will be 37-38 and can have a 30-yr career after that. So no, I don't think that a person who starts at 30 is too old. In fact, I think the timing is just right for me.

Besides, what is your alternative? You can either do something about it now, or just get discouraged and live a life you know is not what you optimally want. Decisions, decisions. :D

I'll be 40 when I start dental school next fall. IMO, its not too late if you have the desire, determination, and drive to live your dream.

30 is the new 20
40 is the new 30
orange is new red

We have several older students me included in our class. I think we have an advantage when we graduate, our patients will think we have been doing it for a while. We have a bunch of 21 yr olds in our class, who look really young. I am not trying to be ageist or anything but I would rather go with a dentist who looks like they have years under their belt rather then doogie howser.

I'm doing a career change at 39 (I'll be 41 when I enter DS), and I agree with everything everyone has said.

Time for Chapter Two.

You know what Dylan said: You're either busy being born or busy dying.

I'm a different person than I was at 21. Dentistry is a much better fit for me now than when I was younger.

i am 34 and taking my science pre-rec's. will apply next year or the year after that. will be 40ish when i graduate. i thought i was too old for years, but not anymore. GO FOR IT!!!

I can't believe onamission didn't chime in yet! I believe he's 41 and starting school next fall.

that might be true pmantz
the older look might look better as a dentist... but who wants to look older?
hahahahahahaa

There are a handful of students in my class who will be in their mid to late 30s when they graduate from dental school. It is never too late!

I think I remember an article on the Yahoo! website a few months back saying that the 60 is the new 45. That may be a stretch, but it sure did make me feel good! The thing is that it doesn't matter how old you are, only that you can "do" what you are setting out to do.

By the way, all of us old heads need to give it up for Sylvester Stallone, who, at 61 years of age, will release "Rambo" this January, 2008!!! Go Rambo!!!!!

I think I remember an article on the Yahoo! website a few months back saying that the 60 is the new 45. That may be a stretch, but it sure did make me feel good! The thing is that it doesn't matter how old you are, only that you can "do" what you are setting out to do.

I don't know think the life expectancy early last century was 45, now look where we are. I know a lot of people in their autumn years who live harder then many of us.

We should start a 30+ club. Being old means that we got a taste of what life is about. We are far more mature than those 22-25 yrs old punks:smuggrin:. Our life experience motivates us to do better than those naive youngsters. I am 34 and holding an acceptance to Buffalo with an interview at Tufts coming up. :thumbup: Looking at the graduating class of 2007 from Tufts I see that the best performers tend to be the older people. Some of them graduated from college in the late 90s and are going to some pretty competitive post doctoral programs.

Hey, it's not too late. Haste is waste!

My father went back to school at age 43. He is now a Notary. My grandmother is a dentist and is 76 years old. Works 12 hours a day and loves it.

I just turned 29 a few months ago and have taken Chem I, intro Bio (it had been 13 years since I took a bio class) and now I'm taking Bio I and Physics I. I'm going to take Bio II, Physics II, and Chem II next quarter. It takes hard work, but hopefully I'll be accepted to some school in December 2012. I know this thread is three years old, but best of luck to all the older applicants.

I am 29 today, If I get accepted this december, I'll be starting dental school in 2011 when I am just around my 30th b.day.

If you think about it, your not THAT far off from the average starting 1st year student (which is around 24-25). They will graduate when they are 28-29, and you will graduate when your 34.......... 5-6 years different is not alot at all considering that both groups will be dentists for the next 30-35 years

I was doing some searching on age and came across this thread. Reading it gave me new inspiration. I was bumming out that I'd be going into dental school at age 27 (I'm about to turn 25). These people in their 30s and 40s are setting the example. I guess it's true that it's never too late to go back to school.

I was doing some searching on age and came across this thread. Reading it gave me new inspiration. I was bumming out that I'd be going into dental school at age 27 (I'm about to turn 25). These people in their 30s and 40s are setting the example. I guess it's true that it's never too late to go back to school.

Resurrection!!!!!!!!!! We have a classmate that is 39.

I'm thirty, starting in August.

Age has no bearing on your passion for doing want you want.

As a prof once told me when I mentioned to him that friends of mine were discouraged about returning to school because of their age...

"You're never as young as you are right now."

This was my first question when coming here. Am I too old? This is a huge decision but dentistry is my passion. I am 39 and will apply to dental school next summer when I'm 40!
As someone previously stated. I will be 45 no matter what.......so why not be 45 and be a dentist?
Best of luck!

You're never too old if you have the desire to succeed. I'll be 30 this summer and will finish my first year of classes in about a month. I've taken Bio I, II, microbiology, chem I-III, and physics I, II. I'll finish bio III this summer, orgo all next year, and a couple quarters of a&p starting in the fall. Provided I keep up my current grades, I should have a cumulative 3.7 sgpa.

I first started thinking about pursuing dentistry in November 2009, and it's kind of cool that I have just a year left before I'll apply. If I am admitted next year, I'll graduate dental school when I'm 36, which is not old at all IMO.

I'm turning 28 in August and I'm applying to dental schools now! Never too late! Good luck! :)

I am 30 years old. When I started three years ago, I hadn't even taken a single science class and I had no clue if i could make it. I just knew that I wanted to become a dentist and a periodontist. I did a post-bac program at Tufts to get all my pre-reqs and loved it. I am matriculating this August and could not be more excited! =)

You can do it!!

Last edited:
lol well shoot I agree I'll be 33 when i complete my bachelor's- so that mean i'll be 37 when I'm done! So what is old? I think it's best to go at this age because you pretty much have evrything out of your system- my mother is 54 and she is in school to be a school teacher- Lets get that degree YEAH for 30!!!!:D

30 is never too old. I started my prereqs at 30 and still have 1.5 more years to go before I apply. Hopefully I will matriculate at 32 and done with dental school at 36 or 37. Believe or not I don't feel older than most of my classmates. Some say I look 25 and have body of a 20 years old. :D

Is it hard to stay in a relationship as an older student entering dental school?

Is it hard to stay in a relationship as an older student entering dental school?
28 year old D1 here. Our class has a surprising number of married students, and they're managing just fine.

Many also entered with established, serious relationships, and for the most part they are going well.

If your significant other understands that dental school is time consuming and things/plans are bound to take the backseat more often than not, AND you make sure to set aside time to nurture the relationship, you will be ok. The older students tend to handle these factors a little better.