Is it too late to take the dat & apply fall 06?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeeh1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late to take the DAT's and apply for the 2006 entering class?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on a lot of things. in all actuality, it probably is. if you can scoop up letters of recs in the next 2 weeks, sign up for the DAT today and rock it out a few weeks from now, then maybe, MAYBE not. but you will have to apply to a lot of schools to have a reasonable shot and you will likely need stellar grades and DAT scores (tough to come by if you are just now thinking about taking it).

in reality, you will probably save yourself some headaches and money in the application process if you just hold off until next year and compete with me :smuggrin:

zeeh1 said:
Is it too late to take the DAT's and apply for the 2006 entering class?

that depends on when this question was posted

if it was posted in may - then NO - apply apply apply! Don't WAIT!

if it was posted 5 minutes ago - then i would say you are 'relatively' late

keep in mind that, the process/deadline is either december, but for most schools is sometime next year

however, a lot of schools fill classes by december,

and you will be competing for fewer and fewer spots.

my advice would be to build a time machine and rewind your life about 4 months to prepare youself - but before you do that, PM me, so that i can jot some things to take care of (like write down my DAT questions, so that i could ace in the past).

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not too late to apply, but you've painted yourself into a small corner in terms of choices. you probably will get accepted somewhere (if your DAT and GPA are outstanding) but it probably won't be your first choice. if you haven't even started studying for the DAT, then it is too late.

you also have to remember that the application process is very expensive, time-consuming, and you should only apply when you are ready and think "yes, i'm definitely going to be in the entering class 2006." if you apply this year and don't get in--and then reapply next year--you'll have to find ways to improve your resume in those few months (because schools/interviewers will ask you "so, what have you changed since the last time you applied?).

IMO, if you aren't ready for the DATs, save yourself a lot of headache and money, spend the next few months studying for the DATs AND shadowing, and then apply in another 7 months (mid-May, when the application comes out).