Tripas

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
13
0
Status
Pre-Dental
i have just decided to go ahead and apply for dental school ..i have UF and NOVA in mind...but is it too late and should i wait till next year? i havent taken the DAT but i plan on doing so within the next month, im about finished with my aadsas aplication.. i just got so many questions and noone at my university is able to answer them, i visited UF last friday and LOVED IT. so now im trying to get there..my GPA is 3.3, im a biotechnology major, i got plenty of research under my belt (mainly plant genetics), i have some dental experience since my father is a dentist in the dominican republic so i have been around it..but i really dont know my chances idont want to waste my time or money on an effort if i wont make the cut. i dont know what else to put in the application they say they want to see "hand coordination" type of things ..and i got so many things in my mind to help my application..i was a carpernter for a while while going to school, i earned a full academic scholarship for undergrad...i just got TON of questions


oh and by the way this forum is great. probably the best resource i have ran into i like the community feel i have seen so far :thumbup:
 

OSUDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
1,160
0
Status
Podiatry Student
Its pretty late, but its never too late. Start as soon as possible. Plus, if you don't have to go through the AADSAS, don't do it. Especially, if youre only applying to 2 schools. If you can, go directly through the school to avoid being buried underneath other apps.
 
OP
T

Tripas

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
13
0
Status
Pre-Dental
OSUDDS said:
Its pretty late, but its never too late. Start as soon as possible. Plus, if you don't have to go through the AADSAS, don't do it. Especially, if youre only applying to 2 schools. If you can, go directly through the school to avoid being buried underneath other apps.
i spoke to the admissions officer at UF and she said they only take their applications through AADSAS

and i do got a semester of classes coming up..man its gonna be tough to make the cut this year...maybe i should just prepare for next year with more time and better planning
 
About the Ads

OSUDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
1,160
0
Status
Podiatry Student
Tripas said:
i spoke to the admissions officer at UF and she said they only take their applications through AADSAS

and i do got a semester of classes coming up..man its gonna be tough to make the cut this year...maybe i should just prepare for next year with more time and better planning
I dont know what other people think. But, if you are thinking about applying, but have the money you might as well apply this year. If you don't get in, so what. Then you can apply next year like you planned but the schools will see you are a reapplicant and you are dedicated to going to d-school there. I dunno. I would definitely try if I were you.
 

HermeytheElf

Guest
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
619
0
Hollywood Upstairs Dental College
Status
Pre-Dental
Tripas said:
i have just decided to go ahead and apply for dental school ..i have UF and NOVA in mind...but is it too late and should i wait till next year? i havent taken the DAT but i plan on doing so within the next month, im about finished with my aadsas aplication.. i just got so many questions and noone at my university is able to answer them, i visited UF last friday and LOVED IT. so now im trying to get there..my GPA is 3.3, im a biotechnology major, i got plenty of research under my belt (mainly plant genetics), i have some dental experience since my father is a dentist in the dominican republic so i have been around it..but i really dont know my chances idont want to waste my time or money on an effort if i wont make the cut. i dont know what else to put in the application they say they want to see "hand coordination" type of things ..and i got so many things in my mind to help my application..i was a carpernter for a while while going to school, i earned a full academic scholarship for undergrad...i just got TON of questions

oh and by the way this forum is great. probably the best resource i have ran into i like the community feel i have seen so far :thumbup:
I think you've got an excellent chance at both UF (if you're instate) and Nova. If I were in your place, I would go ahead and apply ASAP and then get to studying for the DAT and take it before the end of August. It sounds like you've got the extracurriculars and experience covered; knock the DAT out and you're set. I would suggest that you apply to more schools than just UF and Nova to increase your chances though...I'd throw in Temple, NYU, BU, or Case Western to name a few. Your GPA is pretty average so you'll want to make sure and apply to at least 5 or 6 schools to increase your chances of getting in. If you're certain dentistry is what you want, then by all means go for it...it's not too late.
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
From someone who attended UF for 4 years undergrad, why ever would you want to rot in Gainesville for four years? The bar scene and nightlife gets old pretty fast, actually, there is really nothing to do there other then drink! Not much around Gainesville except the university...I would advise you to apply Nova.
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
By the way, your GPA is UF or Nova material...if you are a Florida resident. Knock out the DAT and have some great letters of recc and convincing personal statement; you should be fine.
 
OP
T

Tripas

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
13
0
Status
Pre-Dental
dexadental said:
From someone who attended UF for 4 years undergrad, why ever would you want to rot in Gainesville for four years? The bar scene and nightlife gets old pretty fast, actually, there is really nothing to do there other then drink! Not much around Gainesville except the university...I would advise you to apply Nova.
isnt nova much more expensive though?

plus to be honest with you, i feel like i screwed around too much in my undergrad and i could have done WAYYYYYYY better as far as grades...i really want to stay away from the party scene in dental school i just wnana knock it out

but i been hearing a lot abot NOVA and im gonna fly out of fort lauderdale aug 4th to dominican republic i think i might check it out
 

RoxyG1624

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
25
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi there, I think I would be of some serious help to you. I shadow for a dentist that is on the admissions board at UF. I actually just had lunch with him the other day and he went over EVERYTHING. I'm talking from how they select who they will interview, what they are looking for, ect. Anything you would ever want to know about their interviewing process.

By the way, what undergraduate did you attend. I you want, you can PM me and we can discuss further what my talk with my dentist was about.

Good luck!
 

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
1,087
8
RoxyG1624 said:
Hi there, I think I would be of some serious help to you. I shadow for a dentist that is on the admissions board at UF. I actually just had lunch with him the other day and he went over EVERYTHING. I'm talking from how they select who they will interview, what they are looking for, ect. Anything you would ever want to know about their interviewing process.

By the way, what undergraduate did you attend. I you want, you can PM me and we can discuss further what my talk with my dentist was about.

Good luck!
Can you post this here? Or count me in on the PM!
 

nightsleep

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2006
24
0
Status
Pre-Dental
dexadental said:
From someone who attended UF for 4 years undergrad, why ever would you want to rot in Gainesville for four years? The bar scene and nightlife gets old pretty fast, actually, there is really nothing to do there other then drink! Not much around Gainesville except the university...I would advise you to apply Nova.

:laugh: yep, that pretty much sums it up!! (except, the football is awesome)...to be honest, im not sure if your gpa might be a little low for uf...the class of 2009's ave gpa was a 3.5 (both science and overall). this past year, they had over 200 applicants that had gpas over 3.5 so the actual average is for the 82 or so people accepted is probably higher. for the past few years, uf's ave gpa has jumped higher and higher like most schools and with the rising cost of private schools, good state schools are more attractive and competitive than ever.
 

PickMe

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
383
0
Status
its definitely not too late! you sound qualified too, so you should def apply asap. i applied in late july last summer and i heard from all the schools by dec 1st (the first day that they are allowed to tell those who were accepted). i also didnt take the dat until mid august because aadsas takes 6-8 wks to go out (submit aadsas before you take the DAT so it can start being processed, you dont need to take the DAT before submitting the app). you need to email or call a bunch of professors for letters of rec bc that is what is gonna hold you up. ask them to write it within a week so your app can get out asap. start working on your personal statement and send your transcripts to aadsas so they can verify your gpa quickly. there are PLENTY of people who dont have their applications in yet, so dont be discouraged, you are not late. last year the biggest rush of applications seemed to be late aug/early sept. try to get it in before that! best of luck!
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
For people talking about insider information about interviews and such, I'd be cautious about what you ask or write on these boards, I wouldn't doubt that UF and Nova have people from adcoms browsing these forums occasionally, and that applies to other schools as well.
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
Tripas said:
isnt nova much more expensive though?

plus to be honest with you, i feel like i screwed around too much in my undergrad and i could have done WAYYYYYYY better as far as grades...i really want to stay away from the party scene in dental school i just wnana knock it out

but i been hearing a lot abot NOVA and im gonna fly out of fort lauderdale aug 4th to dominican republic i think i might check it out
Nova is a lot more expensive, and you also will be living in a very expensive place if you decide to go there - Ft Lauderdale (a relatively nice part). For me, the money is not a huge issue and I figured I would want to have a change. Some people who have stayed in Gainesville for 8+ years I think never really grow out of it. Don't get me wrong, UF football and basketball is great, but I think I've grown out of that and it isn't something that would keep me in that town. Its funny because as you depart from the center of the town, it seems as though the people are dumber and dumber - the Alachua County redneck population. Some people admire Gainesville for the country feel, but its a little too country for my tastes.
You should definitely check out Nova - there is TONS of stuff to do within a walk or a half hour drive. Beautiful campus and facilities - very new. It just seemed like a more attractive school in my opinion, but UF and Nova are hardly comparable. They both are unique in their own ways.
 

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
4,037
4
Philadelphia, PA
Status
OSUDDS said:
Its pretty late, but its never too late. Start as soon as possible. Plus, if you don't have to go through the AADSAS, don't do it. Especially, if youre only applying to 2 schools. If you can, go directly through the school to avoid being buried underneath other apps.
July/August late? Not quite. Also, virtually every school requires you submit your application via AADSAS.

To the OP: you still have time, so if you are serious about dentistry I suggest that you submit your application and take the DAT as planned (most schools now download your scores within a couple of days of you completing the exam and considering the turn around time for AADSAS taking the DAT in August won't hold your file up) and try to squeeze some shadowing with an area dentists as well. Best of luck!
 
OP
T

Tripas

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
13
0
Status
Pre-Dental
RoxyG1624 said:
Hi there, I think I would be of some serious help to you. I shadow for a dentist that is on the admissions board at UF. I actually just had lunch with him the other day and he went over EVERYTHING. I'm talking from how they select who they will interview, what they are looking for, ect. Anything you would ever want to know about their interviewing process.

By the way, what undergraduate did you attend. I you want, you can PM me and we can discuss further what my talk with my dentist was about.

Good luck!
WOW
thats awesome, i send you a pm

im currently a biotechnology major at Florida Gulf Coast Univ. its 3 hours south... pretty new school opened in '97. i graduate in spring

and another thing is i found ou just a few months ago psychology is a requirement for UF, but it wasnt for my major so now i gotta jump on that too
 

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2003
1,316
59
San Antonio
www.uthscsa.edu
Status
Dentist
It's only too late for the over-anxious, over-ambitious types on this board -- not that there's anything wrong with that :love:

But you do have time as long as you work efficiently to get things out. Again, just ace the DAT. Worst case scenario, you don't get in and when you apply next year you'll be that much more prepared.

As far as Gainesville goes, I agree that it's tiring. I've only been living here a year and I'm already sick of it. However, I will be in-state and really cannot justify spending twice as much on a dental education if UF is even an option. 100% part one passing rate last year? Nothing shabby about that. It's a great school in a boring town for a stellar price. And the ACR population contributes a great deal to the patient case-load -- the waiting room at the dental school always seems full!
 

busdent

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
685
0
Status
i don't think its too late..I just got done with my ochem and i will take my dats the first week of september and submit my application next week...you should be fine
 
About the Ads