Is it worth applying to DO schools (without an MCAT score currently) Registered for Sept 12th MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LGM1113

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.3-3.4 sgpa and a 3.75ish cumulative gpa. Appoximately 300 clinical hours. Willing to apply broadly DO but NY schools would be top choice (NYITOM, Touro-Harlem/Middletown). In process of obtaining an MD reference letter and still waiting feedback from two science professors.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I took my mcat around the same time last year and I got two acceptance so you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh good to hear that. Hopefully the September MCAT will not be cancelled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took my 2nd MCAT August of last year, got scores in September, accepted DO in February. You won't be late getting your scores in October, but I would hesitate if your practice scores aren't hitting an acceptable level about a month out from your exam.

Have you started studying for the MCAT yet, or taken any practice exams?

I have not started studying yet; I plan to at end of semester which is after May 14th. I am just curious if its advisable to submit my application in June with current stats since AACOMAS announced they will look at applications and possibly give interviews without MCAT scores provided a test date is given.

Depending on how you score, your stats should be fine around that time because you would have everything already submitted as well. I'm not sure how ADCOMS will factor in the MCAT issues with the upcoming cycle. AACOMAS did send out an announcement about how they'll handle the process the other day.

Apply broadly

Okay got it. I'll send out my application around end of May once semester grades are posted and take the MCAT in September.

With everything already said, make sure that you spend enough time reviewing (3 months at least, meaning you're gonna need to start soon) and take all the AAMC practice tests when you feel fully prepared. DO not take the MCAT (nor submit your DO applications) if you are not scoring 505+ on your FL practice tests. You don't wanna spend lots of money applying and then find out a month later that you have a sub-500 score. That would put you in a hard place to get interviews and acceptances.

I have a 3.3-3.4 sgpa and a 3.75ish cumulative gpa. Appoximately 300 clinical hours. Willing to apply broadly DO but NY schools would be top choice (NYITOM, Touro-Harlem/Middletown). In process of obtaining an MD reference letter and still waiting feedback from two science professors.
You'll be fine. Apply to a throwaway school to get verified and then sit tight until you have your score.

You'll be okay for DO school, just realize that MD is out of the question with a September MCAT.

Well that is true. I was speaking in terms of a normal application cycle. 20/21 may be far from normal with all the events that have happened and those that have yet to come.

Definitely. I was thinking to wait until next cycle due to taking some more classes but this seems like a strange way of being okay to apply later in the cycle.

But, I definitely agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took mine on September 13th and got 6 IIs out of 11 schools applied to.

I took mine on September 13th and got 6 IIs out of 11 schools applied to.
Wow very encouraging to hear! I'll most likely apply to a throwaway school and see how MCAT score turns out.

Wow very encouraging to hear! I'll most likely apply to a throwaway school and see how MCAT score turns out.
Make it 7 IIs, just got one from TUNCOM :D

You'll be fine. I had a lower GPA and submitted my primary towards the end of November. Had 3 IIs by Christmas.