Is it worth applying to schools with strong in-state preference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

... if your stats aren't exceptional?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you live in proximity to the school and your connections to the state.

I would call each school your interested and ask. I called PCOM GA and they told me they put all out of state people in a 3rd pile. In state, vs regional, vs way out of state. So I guess it depends on your proximity to the school.

Called Ohio and told me to not apply unless I had a 3.8 GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
The ones with a strong instate bias? I'd say it's not worth it. With less than acceptional stats places like TCOM and OS-HCOM won't consider you. Wouldn't be worth the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
TUCOM-CA, Western U/COMP and NYIT-COM all have >80% in-state matriculants, which I was recently corrected that it is not as much a 'mission' for IS selection as it is just shear number of applicants from CA and NY. The bias naturally happens from volume of applicants -- a relevant issue for an 'average' applicant.

Last edited:
PNWU will consider applicants outside the WWAMI region!

Of course, but still it's regional preference. In 2014, 93/141 matriculants were from WWAMI (66%) but if you look at the other 'considered' states -- it's primarily Utah and Oregon, which together with WWAMI 120/141 matriculants (85%) are from that 'northwestern' region. OP is from Michigan, that's why I think it's relevant.

Reactions: 1 users
+1
I don't totally agree with ACOM, but PNWU and UNE definitely have a strong regional bias. It's just not 'in-state'.
what states does PNWU have strong bias FOR? i'm not from Michigan, btw..

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not from Michigan, btw; i'm from the Northeast

Sorry, I did assume --> "In the cold north" as your location combined with the fact that MSUCOM was skipped over by the first couple posters made me think they already knew you were from Michigan (MSUCOM has extreme IS bias, so that should be added to your list) --> (and personally I would choose to not attend medical school than pay their OOS tuition). But regardless, strictly addressing your concern for regional bias, PNWU seems to be more selective to the western states -- so Michigan/Northeast, distinction doesn't really matter

Members don't see this ad :)
what states does PNWU have strong bias FOR? i'm not from Michigan, btw; i'm from the Northeast

You have to be from the Northwest. I am from Hawaii with slightly below average stats and that was the quickest rejection I got. It was funny that one member told me that they gave regional preference to Cali as well.

True, I've just heard people saying ACOM has somewhat of a preferance. One of the only schools that didn't show me some love, so I figured it was true.

I actually believe there is some truth to this.

erm, my stats is not brilliant but it's not "sub-par," thus i'm having a hard time to decide :brb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I put OSU on my application because my stats were on the high end for DO (3.6+ 30+) and because I really liked their rural medicine focus. I didn't even get an interview (I got 14 other DO interview invites, so it wasn't something else in my application). So unless you have free money to "donate" to the school, it is probably not worthwhile applying to the schools with that strong of in-state preference.

apply MD unless you are crazy about DO.

This individual should apply to both. It would be a bad idea for them to put all the proverbial eggs in the MD basket. I had a similar MCAT with a significantly higher GPA, I applied to 16 DO schools and 12 MD. I got ridiculous amounts of love from DO and the cold-shoulder from the MD side of things. It would be best for this person to apply to both.

DO schools are not about stats, they are more about your story, once you are within their typical stats they look at you as a person, if you are the kind of student they want. If you can tell your story well to the adcom that will go a long way. I think there is no harm in trying but I would say its uphill applying to schools that tend to be biased towards in state students. Some state DO schools have made it even harder by eliminating the interview like MSU, so things like ECs and your personal statement, LORs, become even more important.

I think if you are a cookie cutter applicant, its going to be tough getting into a school that is biased towards in state students.

Allopathic schools are very particular about stats and tend to look down upon older applicants, I was out of school more than 5 years when I applied and many adcoms at MD programs were wondering why I wanted to leave a good job to go to medical school. DO schools on the other hand welcomed that I took time to experience the real world and grow and mature as a person.

Reactions: 2 users
Such bad advice. 3.4/31 is a very scary place to apply only MD from
apply first day, assuming a well rounded app...i dont think so. I know many people from my UG with worse stats and got love. The stats on AAMC are there too to back it.

Last edited:
apply first day, assuming a well rounded app...i dont think so. I know many people from my UG with worse stats and got love. The stats on AAMC are there too to back it.

True. Her MCAT is on par with the matriculant average (31.4) and her GPA may squeeze in the standard deviation but to say 'only apply MD' with only average stats is bad advice IMO. One has to be realistic, allopathic schools still hold a vastly larger volume of applicants -- an 'average stat' DO applicant has a much better chance than an 'average stat' MD applicant. Best to apply to both if you want to maximize your chances.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstable17.pdf