Is it worth it to wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vashka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Facts:
1. I just turned 28yrs old.
2. I currently have NY residency and reside in NYC
3. I would prefer NC residency as my family lives there and so did I until 2yrs ago. I no longer qualify for In State tuition in NC
4. My dream school is UNC. I went to ugrad and law school there, so yeah I love my alma mater. I'd love to save $100k in tuition for med school
5. My current cGPA is 3.4 and my sGPA is 2.9. I intend to do a 1.5yr informal post bacc to raise both of these GPAs. I did not finish my premed requirements in undergrad, so my sGPA will shoot up pretty quickly
6. I am a very unique URM. I doubt a school will see two applications like mine for many reasons

My question is whether it would be worth it to delay beginning classes for another year in order to get in state residency in NC? Getting in state residency would make my ability to get into UNC that much more probable. Basically, NC requires you to prove that you have lived in NC for 12mths with the intention of remaining there as a permanent resident. I believe that I would have to go unschooled there for that year.

So, is it worth it for me to delay beginning my informal post bacc for another year so that I can move back to NC to get residency there as opposed to staying in NY to do my classes?

Members don't see this ad.

With those stats, you don't seem like you would be in a position to pick your school and to put all your marbles into going to a specific school. People with those types of stats would need to apply very broadly and hope that they can get into any school. I wouldn't follow through with that plan if I was you.

i agree. i don't think YOU are in a position to start CHOOSING which school you would LIKE to go to. especially in regards to a top school, such as UNC. but you are URM, right, so whatever, go for it.

BUT, if it's just about getting in-state tuition, then just apply. you can always establish residency and then get in-state tuition rates after (what sounds like) one additional year. so first year, you are charged out-of-state, and then after you have established yourself as a resident, you get the in-state rate. if that difference in tuition for one year is worth the wait, then wait. look at the details though, because establishing residency may involve living in off-campus housing or something along those lines.

what's wrong with NY schools? there are lots of them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with those who say apply this year, but not because of your desire to go to UNC. a sub 3.0 c/sGPA is a kiss of death. You need to raise it before any school will consider your app. I would wait until you raise your GPA. Do a post-bac. From post-bac advisors at a prestigious program targeting URM's, the criteria for admissions to many schools seem to be a 3.6 or above in your post bac and a cumulative/science GPA above 3.0 (adding ug + pb, of course).

Good luck, don't give up!

Edit: wait, i think i misread your question, are you saying that in order to get NC residency, you must go UNSCHOOLED there? That doesn't make sense. so you can live + work in NC while doing a post bac for a year but just because you took some classes, you can't get residency? I would double check that with the UNC admissions people, but in any case, finish the post bac. If finishing it at UNC will prevent you from gaining NC residency, finish it in new york so you have residency in at least one state.

My question is whether it would be worth it to delay beginning classes for another year in order to get in state residency in NC?
Hi vashka,

With the stats you'll have by the time you apply, I think you'd be far better off staying in a state with many more state med schools. Also, consider that if you can fill a unique niche in a med school's roster, they are more likely to offer you a scholarship that would make the OOS tuition less prohibitive. You won't know until all financial aid offers are in.