Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medseeker2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never wanted anything more than to become a doctor but lately i've been wondering if it's worth it. The stress of classes, the stress of MCAT, applying, possibly not getting in. I'm probably overreacting, but I'm scared that I'm going to be doing everything I can and then not get into a medical school. Even if I actually get in, what about residency and fellowship? I've spoken to many doctors and have heard numerous times that if they could do it all over again, they wouldn't. So my question is to those in medical school or residency. Is it worth it? Because I'm freaking out. I'm thinking of doing dental with the hopes of becoming an orthodontist. I just don't want to make that decision when I've pursued medical for years. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter what people say because you'll never get a satisfying answer! Some people will say, "Yes! It's absolutely worth it!" And others will say, "Nahhh..."

When it comes down to it, no number of people saying "Yes! It's worth it!" will make that stress go away or make the training any easier. You will have to figure out if it's worth it to you.

Do more shadowing, soul searching, and talking to trusted family and friends. That's what helped me solidify my choice to apply to medical school.

Caveat to my advice: I am still a pre-med, like yourself.

Reactions: 1 user