Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrobin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.85 cGPA but a 3.78 sGPA. My science GPA is obviously competitive but I'm worried that my cGPA will keep the sGPA from even being noticed for MD programs and even some of the DO's. Is it even worth applying this cycle or should I continued taking classes until I raise my cGPA. For what it's worth I'm waiting for my MCAT scores but averaged a 29 on my practice ones. Please help

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 2.85 cGPA but a 3.78 sGPA. My science GPA is obviously competitive but I'm worried that my cGPA will keep the sGPA from even being noticed for MD programs and even some of the DO's. Is it even worth applying this cycle or should I continued taking classes until I raise my cGPA. For what it's worth I'm waiting for my MCAT scores but averaged a 29 on my practice ones. Please help

Usually anything below a 3.0 is automatically weeded out. Sorry but that's how it goes.

You need to take enough classes to get your GPA above 3.0. It would obviously be easier for DO schools by re-taking old low grades than for MD schools, but either way, you need to get above the cutoff to be taken seriously.

Some schools look at more recent work and will weigh that more heavily than the poor early grades, if you have a lot of recent high GPA work..

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to take enough classes to get your GPA above 3.0. It would obviously be easier for DO schools by re-taking old low grades than for MD schools, but either way, you need to get above the cutoff to be taken seriously.

Some schools look at more recent work and will weigh that more heavily than the poor early grades, if you have a lot of recent high GPA work..

Yeah my most recent classes is really good. I was a polisci major at my original undergrad school where I got a 2.5 cgpa. after graduating I went to a cheaper school to take all my pre-reqs in a single year (bio 1&2, Orgo 1&2, everything) with a 3.78. I know that this will probably help, but will it help enough?

Most DO schools won't even look at your application with a cGPA that low. Retake classes and use grade forgiveness to get your cGPA above a 3.0

how is your cgpa so low? doesnt make sense with your sgpa

sure it does, its called getting C's and D's in non science classes.

most would think polisci classes are easier than physic/orgo/bio etc... besides i havent seen a near 1.0 difference in gpa before. partied too much?