Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salaam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already turned in my AMCAS application (complete on July 3rd). I applied to a few OOS reach schools, but I believe all of them emphasize research experience. Because of other commitments, I entered research late in the game. I became very interested last semester, so I applied to UT Southwestern SURF. I am currently researching through this program, and I've gained so much from it!

Nevertheless, my dilemma is this:

Considering my limited research experience, should I fork over the $$$ for secondaries at

Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Duke
Mayo (or Columbia)

I am a Texas resident, so I'm applying to every school in my state. I just wanted to add a few schools with curriculum and opportunities I've always really admired. What do you think? (Here's the stats: 4.0, 12 PS 11 VR 12 BS = 35R)

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats give you a shot at all of those schools, but Duke and Mayo are huge on picking applicants with significant research experience. I'd say pick two off the list; HMS or Hopkins and either Duke or Mayo. Use the money for other mid tier schools you have a better chance of getting into.

Good luck

Have you made a lot of progress in these few months? I'm guessing you've been researching full time over this summer? Some research areas generate results faster than others, and if you have good data to show/discuss, I don't think the 4 schools you listed are out of reach. Especially if your other ECs are strong. I agree with ironmandoc in choosing 2 out of the 4; you never know until you try right? :)

Try to talk about it a lot in your secondaries if there are prompts that apply, since you already submitted your primary. Also update the schools if you do posters/papers later on in the year.

Last edited: