Is Kaplan itself bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDDS103

Reaction score
Hello All!

Long story short, I won an entire Kaplan review course but I keep reading that Kaplan is bad and you shouldn't purchase it. My question is, is it bad because its not worth the money? or Is it actually a bad product and I'm wasting my time using it to study?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say for the price, its not worth it from what i've heard. I cant personally say its bad because I didn't use it. But if you got it for free then thats awesome! I would still consider getting bootcamp tho, for the practice tests. Best of luck!

It's very basic in that it's for people who can't self study, if you're the type who can't self study, it's alright. If you're aiming for 21+, you probably need other things in addition to. If it's free, it's not bad, but for 1000 dollars, it's not worth it.

Kaplan has really good reading comp, decent QR and bio. But you're better off getting destroyer+bootcamp. What you can do(if you already bought kaplan) is use it for review or general big picture(for bio) then move onto the other more intensive ones. Kaplan has decent strategies too.

It's very basic in that it's for people who can't self study, if you're the type who can't self study, it's alright. If you're aiming for 21+, you probably need other things in addition to.
I hear this all the time, and never from anybody who actually studied with Kaplan for a cycle. it would be one thing if you heard these horror stories from students who were burned by them, but instead it's just this hearsay about (insert internet service here) providing better material.

It's obviously an easy notion to perpetuate because it's not really falsifiable.

I'm one of the few on this forum who primarily used (or at least admits to using) the Kaplan books, and my lowest score was a 22 in any section (up to 26). First time.

I get the cost argument, but that's a different matter.

Ymmv

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would just say it's not worth the money. The practice tests are, good practice, and th RC is very representative. I honestly thought everything but bio was fine to work off with.
I liked using the full lengths as additional practice.

I think the blue book quite helped me. The only problem with their subscription is the price. I've seen many current dentists studied with Kaplan.

I actually used the Kaplan service 5 yrs ago (the big expensive package, not just the blue book) and it was not worth it. Their higher score guarantee doesnt help you cuz it only matters if you have to retake. Who wants to take a big costly exam more than once? Skyping into their classrooms lessons is not the same thing as Chad's videos. Chads are better. Mike's videos on Bootcamp are better. Nobody is paying me to say this. This is not from a friend.

I think Bootcamp for practice tests and PAT, Chad's and Mike's for OC and GC, DAT destroyer, Cliff's and Feralis Notes for Bio, Math Destroyer are well worth it compared to Kaplan. It feels like you are doing a lot by following along but it was honestly passive studying. Not active studying that happens when you get your butt handed to you on an OC practice section cry a little and then pause your Ari's 10 week (I modified to 12 weeks) schedule to spend 2 whole weeks on OC so that you don't bomb on test day. Made a 14 on a practice section test and said heck no I dont really know my stuff yet and got after it.

I dont recommend Kaplan to anyone. Sorry just my experience. All those materials helped me score 20AA, 20PAT and 20TS.

I am thankful for my scores but I was a little disappointed cuz I think I could have scored higher based off my practice tests.

I took Kaplan back in I believe 2011 (perhaps 2012) and I'd say it's more of a structured method of staying on task.

It's by no means sufficient to do well on the DAT.

If you think of the Kaplan course as another session of school, meaning you do additional preparation outside of class and outside of the material presented in class, then you'll do fine.

But if you really on Kaplan entirely to prepare you for the DAT, have fun with your 17/18AA.

Kaplan has strengths and weaknesses, with its strengths mainly being reading and bio and sort of QR. To do well, you may want to use many different resources based on their strengths, and not put all of your eggs into one basket. I used KBB, but I also used many other resources to help establish a good foundation for each section. if by winning you mean you get a free subscription, i don't see what the harm in using it is. Just don't rely solely on the course to do well.

Reactions: 1 user