Is long hair inappropriate on men

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toyaboobear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i long hair and i am not sure if i need to get it cut before my interview. does anyone think that long hair is inappropriate for an interview? would it be ok if i just put it in a ponytail?

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i long hair and i am not sure if i need to get it cut before my interview. does anyone think that long hair is inappropriate for an interview? would it be ok if i just put it in a ponytail?

Clean, and somewhat styled, as opposed to flailing wildly about your head or in greasy strings. It's an interview. Have you never interviewed for anything before in which you wanted to make a good impression?

I think it depends mostly on sheer luck: whether you get an interviewer who's stodgy and unapproving, or one that's laid back and doesn't notice your hair much at all.

I would tell you to cut it, just to be safe -- but I can imagine how dissappointing it would be just to do it for one lousy interview (especially if you end up not getting in or not going for any reason).

Members don't see this ad :)

It is more and more common these days, but you'll never know what the personal opinions are of the interviewers. I'd say cutting it would be best. You'll have four years to grow it back.:)

personally I have short hair but I think if it is styled it would be fine (in my opinion) If long hair is you then why change yourself beyond making it look presentable?

I am probably the minority thought on this.

How long is long? Do you have a pony tail?

Why a man does have to keep long hair anyway? Just an opinon!!!!!!
Well if you think it does look professional why don't you go for it? The most important thing is to prove to the adcom you are able and show your personality.

thanks for the advice. if i dont get in this year i guess i will know what to do for next year.
icon10.gif

Does your hair look like Fabio's? If it does, don't cut it. Chicks dig that kind of hair style (especially if you sound like him too) and you never know, there is a good chance you get a woman interviewer.:D

Long hair is always inappropriate on men!!!! :)

Does your hair look like Fabio's? If it does, don't cut it. Chicks dig that kind of hair style (especially if you sound like him too)

:laugh: Uhm...ladies...do you think that's hot?? Not so much Fabio for me, but I dig British accents.

Guys with long hair is a turned off for me..lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your hair look like Fabio's? If it does, don't cut it. Chicks dig that kind of hair style (especially if you sound like him too) and you never know, there is a good chance you get a woman interviewer.:D

I thought Tom Cruise and Orlando Bloom had long hair for a while. Ladies, don't tell me they are not good-looking. :D But seriously, do cut your hair in case you get a male interviewer. :)

I would just cut it, but its up to you. I just personally wouldn't want to have that potential ? of whether or not cutting my hair led off to a bad start in the interview. Its probably fine, but I'd just be safe, like someone said you have another 4 years to grow it.

Guys with long hair is a turned off for me..lol...

I agree, unless they are ridiculously good looking ..

Call me a square but I think only really good-looking guys can pull off long hair and only good-looking girls can pull off short hair.

Advice: If you look like Travis Fimmel, keep the hair!

This is hilarious. My hair is almost down to my shoulders; never in a ponytail. It has never held me back in any way, quite the contrary actually. Girls love my hair, love it I tell you;) .

This is hilarious. My hair is almost down to my shoulders; never in a ponytail. It has never held me back in any way, quite the contrary actually. Girls love my hair, love it I tell you;) .

Are you ridiculously good looking? :confused: :love:

I had hair that I just pushed behind my ears. It was about to my lip. I went ahead and cut it for my interview. You never know. Can always grow it back out.

I love this post, it's so hilarious!! :laugh: :laugh:

why not keep it? you'll b the only guy there with long hair which would make u unique!

I'm going to go with keep it-- just make sure it looks nice. It's not very likely that you'll get rejected based solely on your hair. Of course, first impressions are always important; but if you've got a nice personality and your interview goes well and all that, then the hair is not going to matter.

This is a great thread!:)

I'm a guy...and I like long hair on men.:)
Seriously though, an interviewer will not be paying attention to your hair. It has nothing to do with your capabilities. Do tie it back though. Woman or man, long hair should be tied back when you are wearing a suit for a professional interview.

I agree the length of your hair should not matter it is about your personality and ability. Both of those have nothing to do with length of hair. Also the guy that interveiwed me had long hair and it was in a pony tail.

This is the funniest post I've read here yet!
Ok so I am going to go against the majority and say don't cut your hair. Your hair is what makes you unique...what makes you. I don't think they will judge you based on your hair. However, I do think that your hair should be combed, maybe pulled back, clean, and styled. It's ok to have long hair as long as it is presentable. So, in my opinion I don't think long hair will affect you chances for your INTERVIEW! :thumbup:

Now, as far as the LADIES go...Well, that's a different story. I find long hair on men unattractive. And Fabio? :laugh: :laugh: Sure I can hear him talk for days. I love the accent if I don't have to look at him (no offense to Fabio looking men on SDN...it's a mere preference). But, the hair? Not soo much! :thumbdown:

I have an afro and I made a promise to myself that I won't cut it until after I get my acceptance letter to pharmacy school :)

Long hair on men is not a problem at all. However, it must be styled. If your hair is an expression of you, then keep it-personality is always a plus:D

not to mention that there are lots of guys who grow out their hair for locks of love, so i don't think it will be a problem as long as you look clean and presentable.

not to mention that there are lots of guys who grow out their hair for locks of love, so i don't think it will be a problem as long as you look clean and presentable.

If you're a guy and growing your hair out for Locks of Love, you rock!! It's a great program IMO (I've been donating my hair since 1999/2000), but for some reason I never even thought about guys doing this - I learn something new every day!!

Make sure it's clean and wear a ponytail. No matter your "differences," present yourself well and don't let it be a focus. Wow them with your skills, not your hair.

I saw a guy w/ his hair back in a pony tail at my interview yesterday, and while I normally don't like long hair on guys, he actually looked really neat (and kinda hot ;) ), and I agree that it made him unique. I really wouldn't cut it if I were you. What if you don't get in, and when people ask why you cut your hair, you have to think about it all the time? That'd really suck!

was it at etsu? did he bring a girl with him?

Make sure it's clean and wear a ponytail. There's a guy in my class with long hair, facial heair, and long fingernails and he's absolutely brilliant and one of the nicest people in the class. No matter your "differences," present yourself well and don't let it be a focus. Wow them with your skills, not your hair.

This might be off topic, but I had a professor once who went on and on about his pet peeve being people with long fingernails and how he interviewed someone for a job once and rejected them because they had long dirty fingernails. Not that I'm saying your friend has dirty fingernails, I'm just saying you never know who you might encounter. I'm starting to agree with the long hair though, if its important to you then keep it, just as long as its cleanly presented.

Make sure it's clean and wear a ponytail. There's a guy in my class with long hair, facial heair, and long fingernails and he's absolutely brilliant and one of the nicest people in the class. No matter your "differences," present yourself well and don't let it be a focus. Wow them with your skills, not your hair.

I find it tedious to cut my nails and shave every week, but I despise having long nails and facial hair as well. Last semester I had my hair pretty long (not ponytail long), about Chase long from House, but not blond. I decided to get it all chopped to present a more professional look for a tour. Let's face it, we live in a world where decisions are made based on having a particular "look" and presenting yourself in a particular way. I wish decisions were based on merit, but an ideal world this is not.

I always think long hair is not that appropriate for professional world; especially when you are at the interview. All the people I've seen in my 6 interviews came with clean cut and short hair. I think they look neat and "not dirty" that way! I always cut my hair before the interview and man ... it costed!!! LOL ! Just an opinion!

Congratulations, toyaboobear!! I'm glad you kept your hair!:)

thanks! i got my letter yesterday.
im glad i kept it, too. i would have felt naked without it.:D

Congrats!

Thats so weird how the OP was worrying about his hair, and then he went to his interview and then a fellow SDN poster saw him and liked his long hair.

"SDN.. making the world seem smaller.. " :cool:

thanks! i got my letter yesterday.
im glad i kept it, too. i would have felt naked without it.:D

Congrats! I haven't heard back yet, so I'm thinking it's a no. I don't live in TN so the mail might be taking a while...eh,we'll see

I had long hair, I mean really long--like past the shoulders hippie-long.
I cut mine. Frankly, I regret it: the cutting it part.

You see, the long hair is already on all my student IDs, on my passport, drivers license, et cetera. If I get an interview and(/or otherwise) have to show an ID, they still see the long hair.

If you cut it, you'll regret it--otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. However, maybe it will positively impact people's judgement of your character.

If you choose to not cut it, you may want to wear it discretely: in a ponytail tied in the back in the least noticable way. Those are my thoughts.

style it like silvio from the sopranos (aka little steven from the e street band). in everyday life he has long hair, but for the show, he puts it up in a boufont (spelling?).