Is LOR from anesthesiologist mandatory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dusselas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking through the FAQ for this topic and it says some people match without a letter from an anesthesiologist. It also mentions that an internist or a surgeon would also be good substitutes. Did anyone on the forum match without a letter from an anesthesiologist?

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking through the FAQ for this topic and it says some people match without a letter from an anesthesiologist. It also mentions that an internist or a surgeon would also be good substitutes. Did anyone on the forum match without a letter from an anesthesiologist?

Make sure to check each program's website about what their requirements are... I think most will specify that at least one letter must come with an anesthesiologist.

My question is why do can you not get a letter from an anesthesiologist? Did you not rotate in anesthesia? Did you not get to know any of the attendings? Are none of the attendings able to write you a good reference?

The places to which you apply and interview might very well also have these questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really worried about getting letters from Anesthesiologists. I didn't have an official anesthesia rotation until my first audition away elective in September. I spent a couple of weeks in August with a private group and ended up with 2 really good letters (one from the guy I mostly worked with and one with the chair).

I would recommend spending some time (maybe during time you don't have an official rotation) with a group to try and get a letter or 2. I would say 1 letter is necessary, but 2 would be even better. My other 2 letters were from a surgeon and fp, which I think people really liked.

Anything is possible. But, I'd definitely try very hard to get at least one good LOR from an anesthesiologist. Preferably at an academic center, but anything should suffice if you don't have that option. IMHO, it just shows effort and interest, which is important no matter the specialty......

cf

Icefrog's response is the most technically correct one -- look at individual program requirements. However, for all practical purposes, yes a letter from an anesthesiologist is required.

The anesthesiologist that wrote my letter wrote a good one, but by the time he finished it was late -- I forget exactly now. I interviewed at SUNY Stonybrook and a week later they said "We don't have a letter from an anesthesiologist." This was despite it saying they had downloaded it from ERAS. So if you get it in late, make sure they have physically looked at it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, while many feel bashful about asking for LORs (hey, sometimes attending interaction is not as strong as we'd like...), the fact of the matter is it's generally necessary (or at least helpful) and never forget the fact that those same attendings were once in your shoes as well as are generally used to writing LORs for students they may, or may not, know that well.