Is making a journal worth the time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grey1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.. I want others opinions or experiences on making notes and making a journal and writing stuff down. I personally know they work perfectly but the main question is: is it better to make notes which would take long or is it better to invest that time on reading stuff? Or is it better to learn speed reading or photo reading strategies? I personally am more of a visual learner and I enjoy making notes and whenever I have done this.. It has worked for me.. but since it takes long to do so.. I wonder.. Should I start making journals for my internals or should I just stick to reading and trying to read faster so that I could review more?

Members don't see this ad.

I think doing a little of both would be best. I am more of a visual learner too but as the classes keep going and the material keeps adding up, I'm finding that I don't have time to write stuff down. I would like to outline everything and write it but there's just not though time. So far I've been watching lectures (1.5-2x speed) and taking some notes on the side, and then only making notes of high yield information. Depending on the class, I either type a 1-2 page outline or handwrite one. Then I go back and re-read so that I get more of the smaller details. I was certain I couldn't remember anything without writing it down but repetition helps tons.