Is medessentials worth buying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Reborn24

a friend of mine says this book from kaplan is really good. what do y'all think

Members don't see this ad.

Weirdoc said:
a friend of mine says this book from kaplan is really good. what do y'all think

I agree that the book is very good and think it's worth it. However, I don't think the associated online materials are as good as they could be so I would get the cheapest option available.

Kateroni18 said:
I agree that the book is very good and think it's worth it. However, I don't think the associated online materials are as good as they could be so I would get the cheapest option available.
I know the book is in organ system format, but is it just a bunch of charts?

allendo said:
I know the book is in organ system format, but is it just a bunch of charts?

There are a lot of charts...but there's quite a bit of text in the charts. There's also some very good drawings. I have a pdf of the spinal cord section from the Neuroscience chapter if you want to PM me your e-mail address. The pdf used to be available on the Kaplan site, but it looks like they took it down. It's fairly representative of the book.

Members don't see this ad :)
While attending last year's AMSA conference I signed up with Kaplan to give feedback at an open forum with the authors of medessentials on what incoming MSII student's were looking for in a USMLE review book. Kaplan definitely did the leg work on their latest attempt to compete with First Aid. It seems that the idea behind medessentials is that it is very similar to First Aid in content yet instead of a skeleton outline that you must supplement with notes in the margins they already added "most" of that so you don't have to.

The big question...do you stray from the tried and true First Aid or do you step out on a limb and try something that could be better but just doesn't have the track record. I'm not sure what I'm going to do...I've been using First Aid as a primary review source and if I need additional info I consult medessentials before I crack open BRS or the texts. On a side note...I often find that medessentials presents the information in a way that I can understand and absorb more readily...although that's just my take on it.

Uberman said:
While attending last year's AMSA conference I signed up with Kaplan to give feedback at an open forum with the authors of medessentials on what incoming MSII student's were looking for in a USMLE review book. Kaplan definitely did the leg work on their latest attempt to compete with First Aid. It seems that the idea behind medessentials is that it is very similar to First Aid in content yet instead of a skeleton outline that you must supplement with notes in the margins they already added "most" of that so you don't have to.

The big question...do you stray from the tried and true First Aid or do you step out on a limb and try something that could be better but just doesn't have the track record. I'm not sure what I'm going to do...I've been using First Aid as a primary review source and if I need additional info I consult medessentials before I crack open BRS or the texts. On a side note...I often find that medessentials presents the information in a way that I can understand and absorb more readily...although that's just my take on it.

interesting comment

Uberman said:

any comments on people who have used MedEssentials