Is medicine really for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamadream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to make this as short and simple as possible. Last year I got slapped with a tuition bill. I remember working full time towards the end of that summer with money to go towards the bill. I had $300 in hand from working my full time job to pay some of my "debts" off, but the lady would not accept it. She told me that I would have to pay in full and I was in complete shook because I knew that it wouldn't be possible for me. At that point I was thankfully enrolled in classes for the Fall 2015 semester. I left that job right before the semester started with an extra $300 dollars that would eventually run out because I had to provide my needs: food, transportation, etc. Spring 2016 I did not attend classes, still struggling to find work to pay off my tuition while also trying to take care of myself, also I was volunteering at that time. In the beginning of Summer 2016 I began working part time doing manual labor. I almost forgot about that bill until I received letters in the mail saying that this bill would be sent to a collection agency and they will add 17% to the original amount. So my bill went up an extra hundred dollars. At this point I wanted to give up and I didn't care. I worked at this part time job for a few months and then I gave in and said "I want to do this, I want to go to school to become a doctor. I'm not giving up anymore." I started paying the evil bill little by little, $10 here $20 dollars just to say I've been trying and I'm working towards my future. I left that job to find full time at a temp job and put the largest payment I've ever made towards my bill, which was $100! That job did not last past a month, they let most employees go. I left not knowing my next step and I was so close. Throughout the whole 2016, I've volunteered, I finished an orientation to shadow a physician at the beginning of this month of December(hiring process in the works), but I need to be in school, I need to be working, I am very behind and I'm am left embarrassed being that the bill isn't really that much(a couple hundred dollars) , embarrassment of being on SDN around the same time last year complaining and still nothing big has changed with my life, and being that I'm out of work and school at 20 years old. I now have about 4-5 weeks until the next semester starts(how will I receive enough money that quickly to pay off school??????) and I RECEIVED MY FINANCIAL BACK!!! It would be a shame to have my school paid off but unable to attend because I can't register for classes because of a bill. Someone please point me in the right direction or all of these two years I've been working towards becoming a doctor would have been a complete waste of my life. Oh and my parents are no help, so let's just forget about them.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why can't you take out a loan? And apply for scholarships.
You have to be enrolled to get them
If you have an outstanding debt the college withholds fin aid...
Yeah,logic right..

Reactions: 1 user
Why can't you take out a loan? And apply for scholarships.
I've tried that, my parents are not reliable resources for being cosigners. I will try to ask another family member. I do fill out scholarships but I hate that fact that most of them say "have to be enrolled in a college/university at the time of this application"

You have to be enrolled to get them
If you have an outstanding debt the college withholds fin aid...
Yeah,logic right..
I wrote and appeal for financial aid in November, then they gave it back to me this month.

Are federal loans not an option for you?
I can take out a federal loan, but they may not give it to me until my semester starts and I need the money now or I can't enroll in classes. So basically them giving me financial aid would be a waste for next semester.

I can take out a federal loan, but they may not give it to me until my semester starts and I need the money now or I can't enroll in classes. So basically them giving me financial aid would be a waste for next semester.
Essentially you are stuck until you can save enough.
Hopefully you get it sorted out man..
Or win the lotto

Little financial difficulties like this were a big reason I didn't get through school more quickly. People who haven't been there just don't understand. I was homeless my first year of college, and once I got on my feet, I had to wait a long time before I could pay what I owed to that school in order to access my transcripts, without which I couldn't enroll in the next school... It seemed like every door was blocked. I would try to do one thing, and find that I couldn't without doing something else, which couldn't be done because it depended on yet another thing happening.

How much do you still owe? Just a few hundred dollars? I know, that is like saying "just a million or two" when you don't have it. But you can get it. Make it a priority. Make it the most important thing in the world. Sell something. Sell plasma. Get a part time job. Get two. Shovel snow, mow lawns, tutor someone, babysit. Don't spend any money on anything that you don't absolutely need. Beg. Literally, make a gofundme and ask your friends to help you out with a few bucks each. Like, do whatever you have to do to come up with the money to pay this off so that you can move forward. There is a way. Make a way. If it means that you have to take a semester off to do nothing but work, do that.

Once you get it paid off, you can move forward. You don't need an expensive education from the most prestigious university in order to get into medical school. You can take pre-reqs at community college and finish up your bachelors through an inexpensive university. I got mine through Western Governors University and I still got in. What is most important is that your grades are excellent and that you get it done. Talk to the financial aid department at whatever school you enroll in. They will be able to help you find funds for school, and maybe a little for living expenses, too.

Whether you can afford this is a different question than "is medicine for you?" No one but you can answer the second question. But I can tell you from experience that you absolutely can overcome the financial barrier that is in front of you, if you make that your whole focus for just a little while. It may take you longer than someone who has more support, but that is okay. There isn't a time limit on getting your undergraduate degree. It is a journey, not a race.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with the above; It seems your issue is just finances.
If Dr.Carson,and Dr.Q can do it, so can you.
Give it your best shot man and good luck.

Came here to find a heartfelt story about pondering a decision to pursue medicine. Left pondering why someone is being overly dramatic about a financial issue. 2/10.

Until you stop makes excuses and whining about how unlucky you are, you will never be able to move forward and get to where you want to be. It's good to have dreams, but in your particular case, you need to put your dreams on hold. Find a job and stick with it! Save up the money to pay off the bill. Save up money so you have a bit of a cushion built up. THEN go back to school and use your fin-aid. This may take a couple to several years.

Your half hearted attempts are going to get you nowhere. Your name is very fitting....you're all dream. You have no concrete plan to get where you want to be. Hoping and wishing and dreaming won't do it for you. YOU have to do it yourself. You can't run when you haven't even learned how to walk yet. You need to suck it up buttercup!

We've been this ride with you for a couple years now. Honestly, how do you "almost forget" about that bill? That's BS and you know it. Just more excuses from you. All your talk and whining and complaining will not get you anywhere...only your actions will. Come back in a year or 2 when you've had a stable job and paid off your bill and then we can talk about going back to school and possibly to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
This person is probably like 19 and completely lacks a support structure, so much so that apparently no one has even given them any guidance whatsoever regarding financial aid. Your advice isn't wrong, but "suck it up buttercup" is a bit harsh for someone who is coming from that place. It isn't like you are talking to someone who knows better and is screwing up. This is someone who doesn't know these things and is trying to muddle through.

OP, this place is full of folks who will give you solid advice, but it is sometimes going to be harsh. Have thick skin. Don't get discouraged. If you need help and advice from someone who will be kind, you can hit me up. I don't have a ton of time, and I might not answer quickly, but I will try to be as useful as I can be.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been filling out job applications like crazy, so I'll update you guys on how this goes.

Until you stop makes excuses and whining about how unlucky you are, you will never be able to move forward and get to where you want to be.
I find this very rude because I'm not making excuses and the way you're putting this is rude and negative. I didn't even bother to read what you had to say after that.

This person is probably like 19 and completely lacks a support structure, so much so that apparently no one has even given them any guidance whatsoever regarding financial aid. Your advice isn't wrong, but "suck it up buttercup" is a bit harsh for someone who is coming from that place. It isn't like you are talking to someone who knows better and is screwing up. This is someone who doesn't know these things and is trying to muddle through.

OP, this place is full of folks who will give you solid advice, but it is sometimes going to be harsh. Have thick skin. Don't get discouraged. If you need help and advice from someone who will be kind, you can hit me up. I don't have a ton of time, and I might not answer quickly, but I will try to be as useful as I can be.
I just turned 20 in November. Thank you so much for this.

Came here to find a heartfelt story about pondering a decision to pursue medicine. Left pondering why someone is being overly dramatic about a financial issue. 2/10.
Overdramatic? I've been out of school for 2 semesters which is a whole year and I only have 22 credits, making me a freshman. I've started school Fall 2014 and I'll never have a proper "college experience" because I won't be transferring until I'm like 21 years old when people are just graduating at that age. Now I may not be able to attend another semester because of a financial issue...making me a freshman yet again at 20 years old, but I'll get over it.

Libertyyne, I normally find your posts humorous, but this sounds like a post coming from someone who has never experienced hunger, not being able to afford heating, not feeling the anxiety headache come over you as you realize the end of the month and the next rent check is due, etc. Incredibly dismissive about something you are privileged enough to never have to experienced. When you are blocked repeatedly financially, it's enormously stressful. I wager we'll find it epigenetically is similar to forms of abuse, since it is cyclical and leaves you feeling powerless and as if there is no end in sight.

I didn't grow up poor, either. But I listened to my friends and family who are enough to know the seemingly infinite stretch of hopelessness.

OP, I agree with the above suggestion to start donating plasma. Get started ASAP because it might take a bit to find an appointment time for you that works. Also, yes, start getting the shovel out this time of year and go door to door- it's embarrassing, I know, and uncomfortable, but you might find it keeps you busy enough to make you feel like you're working to resolve issues. Additionally, I would go to the registrar's office and ask to talk to them about options.

Best of luck.

Also, OP, was wondering if you were the same person who used to come in and say the same stuff over and over.

I woulda gone to bat for you more if you were just in a bad place. If you don't help yourself and do some of the suggestions you have gotten for over a year, nothing will help.

Only you can work towards change.

Libertyyne, I normally find your posts humorous, but this sounds like a post coming from someone who has never experienced hunger, not being able to afford heating, not feeling the anxiety headache come over you as you realize the end of the month and the next rent check is due, etc. Incredibly dismissive about something you are privileged enough to never have to experienced. When you are blocked repeatedly financially, it's enormously stressful. I wager we'll find it epigenetically is similar to forms of abuse, since it is cyclical and leaves you feeling powerless and as if there is no end in sight.

I didn't grow up poor, either. But I listened to my friends and family who are enough to know the seemingly infinite stretch of hopelessness.

OP, I agree with the above suggestion to start donating plasma. Get started ASAP because it might take a bit to find an appointment time for you that works. Also, yes, start getting the shovel out this time of year and go door to door- it's embarrassing, I know, and uncomfortable, but you might find it keeps you busy enough to make you feel like you're working to resolve issues. Additionally, I would go to the registrar's office and ask to talk to them about options.

Best of luck.
I am sorry this came off as cold. I actually grew up poor and have been poor most of my life. I worked full time during college, had to skip a year of college to save up enough money working menial jobs so I could afford tuition at a community college. As an adult I kept my apartment cold in the winter because I knew I couldn't afford it. All of this is not to say that I don't empathize with the poster. Nor is it to have you find pity in hardships in my life. It is rather to answer your concern that this is a comment coming from someone who has lived a charmed stress free life.

Over the last few years I have been fortunate enough to climb up the ranks to make a healthy living.

The purpose of my comment was that none of this has any bearing with the question whether medicine is for a person or not.

OP should formulate a plan, and try to find a job that will pay him enough to get out of this hole. Worst case scenario pawn some possession to get through this, work at Wendy's, work the night shift at 7-11, ( everything that I have personal experience with) to get through this. The fact that OPs problem has not been resolved over a year is testament to the fact that OP either has no real desire to get out of this hole or OP has problem with decision making.

You must be new to SDN. This poster has a prolific history of being over dramatic about their decision to pursue medicine. Last I knew, everyone wrote her off as an elaborate troll.

Reactions: 1 users
Overdramatic? I've been out of school for 2 semesters which is a whole year and I only have 22 credits, making me a freshman. I've started school Fall 2014 and I'll never have a proper "college experience" because I won't be transferring until I'm like 21 years old when people are just graduating at that age. Now I may not be able to attend another semester because of a financial issue...making me a freshman yet again at 20 years old, but I'll get over it.
What have you been doing during that time? Even working at minimum wage full time you would have had close to 14000 dollars. As for the "college experience" that is what rich people have not people who have to provide for themselves. You will either have to work full-time during college or take out loans or both. I started college at 19 because I didn't even have enough money to pay for a semester at CC.

Reactions: 2 users

Don't worry about having a "proper college experience." That isn't what you are in this for. Also, don't waste another second of your life comparing yourself against yourself against others based on age and attainment. Repeat after me: Life is a journey, not a race. It isn't about getting certain things done by a certain time or else you don't win. If you just keep putting effort toward getting where you want to go, you will eventually get the momentum you need to get there.

My "proper college experience" started in 1998 (which was already a late start) and then I finally got a BS degree at 37. Then, after I'd been admitted to medical school, I learned how to drive and bought my first car. In those intervening years, I owned businesses, bought a house, worked for years as a nurse, etc.

You aren't here on this planet to fulfill a script that has to be acted out in a certain order and wrap up a certain way. The sooner you let go of that poisonous idea, the better your experience will be.

You must be new to SDN. This poster has a prolific history of being over dramatic about their decision to pursue medicine. Last I knew, everyone wrote her off as an elaborate troll.

On the off chance that she isn't, and because I was once as young and probably came off much the same way, I'm extending my best advice.

Work hard, study hard (whether you are enrolled in formal classes or not... all the knowledge of the world is available if you will pursue it), stop measuring yourself against others, live frugally, do what you need to in order to fix your financial problems (which are not too large to solve if you put your mind to it!), don't waste your time or your money on people who aren't contributing to your success, delay gratification by keeping your eyes firmly set on what you hope to accomplish.

That is the full recipe. If OP or anyone else applies it, they have the best possible chance of succeeding in life (barring unforeseeable complications that may arise.) There is no secret to it, just a lot of hard work and mature decision making.

Take time off, no need to rush :). Like Promethean said don't compare yourself to others, just go at your own pace and focus on your goals. Take it step by step and eventually you'll get there.