is my new mcat score unbalanced?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inside_edition

Waitlisted Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I retook the mcat:

PS 11
VR 08
BS 11

is my mcat score still unbalanced?

(last year i had a 5 in VR and a 14 in PS totaling to a 30)

Members don't see this ad.

i would.. consider it.. unbalanced, yes.

though when you look at it 11-8-11 it would appear that if the 8 was the pivot point, the 11s would in fact balance each other.

is english your native language?

i would.. consider it.. unbalanced, yes.

though when you look at it 11-8-11 it would appear that if the 8 was the pivot point, the 11s would in fact balance each other.

is english your native language?

for the last application season, i still ended up with one interview and was waitlisted there...we'll see how this year goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
it will definitely show that you have improved, but yes it is unbalanced. Perhaps your personal statement could make up for a low verbal score. I don't suppose you would want to take the MCAT again. Either way, your scores are great. I'd just go with it.

if you got a 30, retook and got another 30, thats probably a sign you shouldnt retake again.

Its a better 30 though. Go for it.

it will definitely show that you have improved, but yes it is unbalanced. Perhaps your personal statement could make up for a low verbal score. I don't suppose you would want to take the MCAT again. Either way, your scores are great. I'd just go with it.

thanks. for me it doesn't matter where i end up at as long as it's an american medical school.

I wouldn't call this.. "unbalanced". I'd call it "not the best", but not unbalanced. Plenty of people get in with 8s for VR. I would call a score unbalanced if the highest and lowest score subtracted from each other is greater than 4 or 5. Like you're previous score was definitely unbalanced.

I think you'll have a lot more success this year than last. Some might ask you what happened in PS. In the end, it's definitely a good thing you retook it! :thumbup:

that sucks that youre having (had) trouble on the verbal section, im having the same trouble on my practice tests right now

so far on my first three tests on the computer, i got a 8, 9, and 8, and ive gotten 10 or better on each science section every try.

last year i totalled a 28 and got a 10 on the verbal, and did great on my verbal paper and pen practices..

i cant get over whats going on with the computer based verbal section, its like magically harder on the computer monitor for me.

my highest score and lowest score (verbal) has a difference of 4. totally feel your concerns about the verbal part. do adcoms look at essays and perhaps overlook the low verbal score?

my highest score and lowest score (verbal) has a difference of 4. totally feel your concerns about the verbal part. do adcoms look at essays and perhaps overlook the low verbal score?

Surely you're joking? Not when the difference is between 14 and 10. You're good to go. :thumbup:

Surely you're joking? Not when the difference is between 14 and 10. You're good to go. :thumbup:

I agree, i have VR 9 , PS 14, and BS 13. Unbalanced yes, big deal--> i dont think so. 8 for verbal is not too bad considering average for med school application is around a 9.2 for verbal

Members don't see this ad :)
kudos on bringing that VR up from a 5 to a 8. I think retaking it and making that score jump shows your dedication for going to med school. And the other two are 11s, thats above average. Don't stress, a 30 is a 30.

I retook the mcat:

PS 11
VR 08
BS 11

I think your good, I had a 29 Q (11-11- and 7 in VR). I am NOT considered a minority, so that did not help me. My Q in writing might have helped and my high GPA too. I landed 2 acceptances. Apply soon (if you haven't already). Good luck.

I retook the mcat:

PS 11
VR 08
BS 11

It is unbalanced, but not too unbalanced to make a major difference. Since your composite score is just ever so slightly below average for US matriculants (31), you're worry will be to shore up the rest of your application to be above average and stand out. (Edit: your PS in your previous test is sky-high, so some schools might take your highest scores in each section while some may not) Apply to all your state schools and apply broadly and intelligently elsewhere (meaning, look at the stats in the MSAR). Good luck!:luck:

There was a 6 point difference in scores between my high and low sub sections. Very unbalanced. It undoubtedly did keep me from getting interviews at some schools. But all you need is for one school to say yes. So, don't worry. I think your score is definitely in the running :thumbup:

much more balanced than before.

stick with it.

I retook the mcat:

PS 11
VR 08
BS 11

A little bit unbalanced, but much better than the previous one. Your total score is still 30. So, you're good to go. If you are an ESL student, you shouldn't worry much about getting an 8 as your verbal.

I am in a very similar situation as the OP. My score is:

PS 08
VR 11
BS 11

I decided not to take a third MCAT due to the fact that while a30 is a little low the time cost of studying for and taking another MCAT outweighed the benefits of having a balanced score. I would use your time to work on other parts of your application which will help balance out a lower then average MCAT.

I think your good, I had a 29 Q (11-11- and 7 in VR). I am NOT considered a minority, so that did not help me. My Q in writing might have helped and my high GPA too. I landed 2 acceptances. Apply soon (if you haven't already). Good luck.

we aren't allowed to say that. :p