Unbalanced MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeetus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT score back. I got a 515 and the break down was 129/127/127/132. It's pretty clear that P/S pulled my score up while I was low on B/B. I plan on taking a gap year to work on ECs so I have a whole year before sending out my application.

I was wondering if this unbalanced score would hurt me in the application cycle. I am a Biology major who did well in Bio classes and have a high GPA (3.94) so I was wondering if the 127 will raise any red flags.

One final question: With this score, do I have a realistic shot at any T20s or will I be limited to midtiers?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my MCAT score back. I got a 515 and the break down was 129/127/127/132. It's pretty clear that P/S pulled my score up while I was low on B/B. I plan on taking a gap year to work on ECs so I have a whole year before sending out my application.

I was wondering if this unbalanced score would hurt me in the application cycle. I am a Biology major and am wondering if the 127 will raise any red flags.
I don't think that looks too unbalanced to me I think you're fine.
Your mean score is a 128 which is right in between 3 of those so they'll probably look at it as 3 similar scores and one great score. I would be more worried if it was like 132/130/125/122 or something like that.

I was wondering if this unbalanced score would hurt me in the application cycle. I am a Biology major who did well in Bio classes and have a high GPA (3.94) so I was wondering if the 127 will raise any red flags.

One final question: With this score, do I have a realistic shot at any T20s or will I be limited to midtiers?
That's not unbalanced.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not unbalanced.
Yeah if anything the score that's unbalanced is the 132. It looks bad if it's unbalanced in the opposite direction with a score way below the mean.

Oh ok then that's good to hear.

When figuring out what schools to apply for, should I only apply to those where my MCAT score is at or above the median (so anything <= 515)? Or do you think I could pick some schools with like a 516 or 517 median as well?

you’re fine. As long as your subsections are >126 no one will care

Reactions: 1 user
That will depend on the strength of the rest of your application.
This^^^^. Depending on the rest of your application, most of us try to be above the 10%-ile or 25%-ile.

Above 50%-ile is an unnecessarily tough standard to subject yourself to, given that half of every class is below it. Just how far below it you can get away with being, while still generating interest, depends, as @gyngyn said, on the rest of your file (GPAs, LORs, ECs, essays), as well as on the particular school and what it is looking for in matriculants. Good luck!!