Is my undergrad research good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SushiFuji

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduate from undergrad in December and plan to apply to medical school next cycle. My undergrad research was a systematic review, which is pretty much a big literature review. I have gotten my paper published and presented at local as well as statewide conferences. Does this meet the research requirement/recommendation for medical schools? Should I try to get a spot in lab until I graduate?

Do medical schools prefer wet lab research? If so, what should I do to get some experience in such short time?
 
I graduate from undergrad in December and plan to apply to medical school next cycle. My undergrad research was a systematic review, which is pretty much a big literature review. I have gotten my paper published and presented at local as well as statewide conferences. Does this meet the research requirement/recommendation for medical schools?

Should I try to get a spot in lab until I graduate?

Do medical schools prefer wet lab research? If so, what should I do to get some experience in such short time?
Did you start with a hypothesis, develop methods to test it, gather data, analyze it, and come to a conclusion that would be considered new knowledge? This would be considered Research for application purposes whether it dealt with a science or non-science topic, whether a wet lab, or not.

If you decide to get an experience more-traditionally considered to be research, even a summer's worth or one term will "check the box." Your advisor or current past science faculty may know of a lab looking for help. Or you can check out your school's on-line research page for projects that appeal to you and approach those Principal Investigators by email .