Is Nursing A Good Major As PreMed?

Started by Xypathos
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Xypathos

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not wanting to start up a war but wanted to see what all of you thought.

Would declaring nursing as a major if you were Pre-Med be setting yourself up for failure? Maybe failure is too strong of a word but the obvious question that I could see coming from an interview would be "Why not just stick with your major and be a nurse?"

I want to work in the medical field either way --- I do love it a lot and I've considered declaring a nursing major but not sure if that would ultimately backfire come med school application time.

Any thoughts?
 
Yes it's a good major, infact Nursing is actually a good alternative to medicne.
 
I'm not wanting to start up a war but wanted to see what all of you thought.

Would declaring nursing as a major if you were Pre-Med be setting yourself up for failure? Maybe failure is too strong of a word but the obvious question that I could see coming from an interview would be "Why not just stick with your major and be a nurse?"

I want to work in the medical field either way --- I do love it a lot and I've considered declaring a nursing major but not sure if that would ultimately backfire come med school application time.

Any thoughts?

Nursing is an excellent major in and of itself. However, any major outside the sciences means that you will be completing the medical prereqs on your own which in total almost amount to the load of a minor.

To add to the diificulty of your proposition--nursing is not at all like most majors that allow flexibility in scheduling. It is not just a mjor but a course of professional training complete with a rigorous and time-consuming clinical component.

So it is simultaneously a big plus and perhaps a minus to the degree with which the demands of the major can be carried by your schedule and goals.

For example i would have pursued Nursing if it or I had more flexibility and it didn't require an extra year or two to complete the medical pre-req's as I both work full-time and am 33 years old. For me it wasn't a good option. Only you can decide for you. I would just reiterate the unique nature of the block scheduling of the nursing major as something many underclassmen may or may not be aware of to the proper extent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a nursing student, you'll probably get a lot more clinical experience than most pre-meds ever get, which is valuable. As for stigma against nursing majors at the interview stage - as far as I know, English majors aren't chastised for not becoming writers, and economics majors aren't scolded for not becoming economists. Why should nursing be treated differently from any other major?
 
I don't think it'll do any harm. Med schools don't care about your major so it's best to study what you're most passionate about. It might even help because it'll show that you looked at other options before picking medicine.
 
Why would you study nursing if you have no intention of working as a nurse? Without the actual work, your clinical exposure will be minimal and your knowledge base will not easily translate to medical school. I also think it's at least mildly disrespectful to those who choose a career in nursing. If you know that you want to go into medical school, be a pre-med and get a strong foundation in the basic sciences.
 
Why would you study nursing if you have no intention of working as a nurse? Without the actual work, your clinical exposure will be minimal and your knowledge base will not easily translate to medical school. I also think it's at least mildly disrespectful to those who choose a career in nursing. If you know that you want to go into medical school, be a pre-med and get a strong foundation in the basic sciences.


I respectfully disagree. Alot of us will have to try multiple times getting in and a new nursing graduate in my area could pay off their debts and get bang up clinical experience to boot.

Also if your logic was applied to everyone equally then a tuba major would effectively be disrespecting all the professional tuba players out there by going into medicine after studying something they were passionate about. I don't think this is effective as a philosophy or as a precription for action.
 
I respectfully disagree. Alot of us will have to try multiple times getting in and a new nursing graduate in my area could pay off their debts and get bang up clinical experience to boot.

Also if your logic was applied to everyone equally then a tuba major would effectively be disrespecting all the professional tuba players out there by going into medicine after studying something they were passionate about. I don't think this is effective as a philosophy or as a precription for action.

I should clarify. If you're passionate about nursing, go into nursing. It's a great career. But if you're doing it because you think that it will look good as a major for a med school application, then yes, I think it's a little disrespectful. I may have been reading too much into the post, but it seemed like the OP wasn't really interested in working as a nurse, just in getting the education as a stepping stone toward med school. A lot of nursing programs have limited spots which are best filled by people who actually do want to work as nurses.

You do, however, bring up a very good point. With the uncertainty of this process, it wouldn't hurt to have a well-paying job to fall back on.
 
Nursing is a good back-up plan, I guess. Med schools aren't picky with majors. They are picky with GPA and MCAT though...
 
I would tend to agree with this assessment.

I understand what you two are saying I just don't think that notion fits into the american reality. It has been our heritage (though perhaps an often dubious one) that the individual should not be restricted from any endeavor they are capable of.

Many physicians will go on to be scientists, business people, administrators, public health people and what have you, its one of the attractions to the field--its ability for opening up all kinds of doors. As premeds most of us are staunch individualists who believe in ascendancy through merit. Therefore i don't think its fair to apply a hardline utilitarian philosophy to other professions that says they have to pursue one thing and stay put because that's where society needs them. Follow that logic to its end and you will have doled out a desiignated roll for each of us according to our communities needs as if such an evaluation and policy were possible not to mention who would be responsible for carrying it out.
 
Nursing is a good major if you want to be a nurse. It's not especially good for med school. Biology is the most common, although you can major in almost anything. Maybe double major in bio and another major of your choice.
 
I understand what you two are saying I just don't think that notion fits into the american reality. It has been our heritage (though perhaps an often dubious one) that the individual should not be restricted from any endeavor they are capable of.

Many physicians will go on to be scientists, business people, administrators, public health people and what have you, its one of the attractions to the field--its ability for opening up all kinds of doors. As premeds most of us are staunch individualists who believe in ascendancy through merit. Therefore i don't think its fair to apply a hardline utilitarian philosophy to other professions that says they have to pursue one thing and stay put because that's where society needs them. Follow that logic to its end and you will have doled out a desiignated roll for each of us according to our communities needs as if such an evaluation and policy were possible not to mention who would be responsible for carrying it out.
It's not about restricting anyone to anything. It's about the fact that there is a well documented shortage of nurses (why do you think they are paid so well (other than they catch hell from everyone in the hospital)?). I don't think it's a very responsible move to take away a spot from someone who wants to be a nurse when you could just as easily major as a premed in respiratory therapy, diagnostic imaging, or another allied health field that is not nearly as burdened by shortages.
 
Nursing is a good major if you want to be a nurse. It's not especially good for med school. Biology is the most common, although you can major in almost anything. Maybe double major in bio and another major of your choice.

Because biology is the most common, in my opinion it may actually be the worst choice of major to choose -- it is almost impossible to distinguish yourself, and you will be taking all of your classes with other premeds. While there are lots of bio majors in med school there are far more bio premed washouts than any other major. The days when premeds needed to be bio majors ended in the 1980s.

I agree with the others that nursing is not the best alternative unless you are actually seriously thinking about nursing. Med schools supposedly often don't like to "poach" from other health care schools (I don't know how true this is, but have met far more former nurses than nursing students in med school), and nursing science courses are not always the identical ones that the premeds need to take.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not about restricting anyone to anything. It's about the fact that there is a well documented shortage of nurses (why do you think they are paid so well (other than they catch hell from everyone in the hospital)?). I don't think it's a very responsible move to take away a spot from someone who wants to be a nurse when you could just as easily major as a premed in respiratory therapy, diagnostic imaging, or another allied health field that is not nearly as burdened by shortages.

I agree with this other than the statement that nurses are paid well. Nurses with 10+ years in the right area might be, but the majority aren't (I'm clearing about 31k after taxes for '06). But anyway, yes, I agree that one shouldn't use nursing solely as a stepping stone to med school. It has gotten even more competitive to get into nursing school than when I went(when I entered in '02 there were over 400 applicants and 75 slots). I think if a person wanted to gain healthcare experience b/c they weren't sure if they wanted to work in healthcare, then maybe a major in nursing would be good exposure. But if the ultimate goal is to go to med school, stick with that.
 
Because biology is the most common, in my opinion it may actually be the worst choice of major to choose -- it is almost impossible to distinguish yourself, and you will be taking all of your classes with other premeds. While there are lots of bio majors in med school there are far more bio premed washouts than any other major. The days when premeds needed to be bio majors ended in the 1980s.

I agree with the others that nursing is not the best alternative unless you are actually seriously thinking about nursing. Med schools supposedly often don't like to "poach" from other health care schools (I don't know how true this is, but have met far more former nurses than nursing students in med school), and nursing science courses are not always the identical ones that the premeds need to take.

Good point-I'm having to go back for 24 additional hours of science courses that weren't covered in my nursing program.
 
I agree with this other than the statement that nurses are paid well. Nurses with 10+ years in the right area might be, but the majority aren't (I'm clearing about 31k after taxes for '06). But anyway, yes, I agree that one shouldn't use nursing solely as a stepping stone to med school. It has gotten even more competitive to get into nursing school than when I went(when I entered in '02 there were over 400 applicants and 75 slots). I think if a person wanted to gain healthcare experience b/c they weren't sure if they wanted to work in healthcare, then maybe a major in nursing would be good exposure. But if the ultimate goal is to go to med school, stick with that.
That's the southwestern US for you. They seem to underpay their RTs and nurses significantly- which may be one reason they try to recruit so heavily (at least they do for RTs). I was flown out for an interview in Arizona and had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing in their faces when they offered me a "very competitive" $16 an hour as an RT with several years experience. Needless to say I turned them down.
 
That's the southwestern US for you. They seem to underpay their RTs and nurses significantly- which may be one reason they try to recruit so heavily (at least they do for RTs). I was flown out for an interview in Arizona and had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing in their faces when they offered me a "very competitive" $16 an hour as an RT with several years experience. Needless to say I turned them down.

That's about par for here.....I was driving to work the other day and an ad came on the radio for an opening for an auto mechanic at one of the Ford dealerships, and the starting pay rate was $5/hr more than I make. Nothing against a mechanic, but really....pretty sad when the people doing chest compressions on kids make less than the guys that do tune ups and A/C work...😕
 
At my alma mater, it would probably take you 5 years to graduate with a BSN + your pre-med prerequisites. The nursing track requires a different chemistry and physics sequence than you would be able to use for med school, and there's a waiting list for the clinicals, so if you don't get into your clinicals right away, you'll be pushed back at least another semester.
 
I agree with the others that nursing is not the best alternative unless you are actually seriously thinking about nursing. Med schools supposedly often don't like to "poach" from other health care schools (I don't know how true this is, but have met far more former nurses than nursing students in med school), and nursing science courses are not always the identical ones that the premeds need to take.

QFT, and I cannot emphasize this enough. Admittedly, what follows is anecdotal and may not be applicable at your school, but I think it makes a compelling argument. First, I worked clinically for two years, during which I took my science pre-reqs. Even for basic Bio and Chem classes, the nurses with whom I worked were unable to answer many of the questions, because the exposure they had to them was very superficial. I have friends who just recently completed nursing school, but they are also unaware of some (many) concepts that are MCAT necessities. They have great clinical exposure, true, but they don't get the same essential foundation. Second, I worked in the Chemistry department during my post-bacc, and I saw the nursing chemistry curriculum - the experiments were easier and fluffier; they didn't get into the same depth as the Gen. Chem. labs.

Take it for what it's worth, but you will essentially have to bust your ass to get caught up by covering material on your own, or you will have to spend more money to take the pre-reqs again. Additionally, you can get significant clinical exposure without majoring in nursing.
 
As other posters have already said, the nursing curriculum does not include (many times) the same classes or covers the same amount and depth of material as the pre-med courses.

In my school, nursing majors take Human Anatomy and Physiology, while pre-med majors take Human Physiology. HAP is much easier and less deep in terms of material and details. They also take a different sort of chemistry, that I've heard is easier than the pre-med chemistry (theirs is only 1 class, 1 lab, while ours is chem1, chem2, chemlab, o-chem1, ochem2, ochem lab). Nursing majors do NOT have to take any organic chemistry here, since they are only here for 2 years before transferring to the nursing campus.

You can get your nursing degree if that is what you want, but if you want to complete all the pre-med requirements along with it please know that you may have to take an extra year and maybe a couple of summer classes.
 
As a nursing student, you'll probably get a lot more clinical experience than most pre-meds ever get, which is valuable. As for stigma against nursing majors at the interview stage - as far as I know, English majors aren't chastised for not becoming writers, and economics majors aren't scolded for not becoming economists. Why should nursing be treated differently from any other major?

Because unlike English or economics, a nursing major is vocational training. The purpose of schools offering nursing majors is to produce nurses. If you intend to go into something else all along, why did you occupy a spot that should have gone to someone who intends to be a nurse?

After posting, I see that several other people have said this already.
 
If its the major that you absolutely want to pursue, then go for it, and med school will somehow work out. However, in my humble opinion, while I don't think it would hurt you terribly- probably be a little more interesting than the 9000 bio majors- I think it will set you back a little and certainly not elevate you. I had good friends who pursued a nursing major (to become nurses) and the substance of their schooling/training was on clinical material because that's the nature of their profession. It lacked the in depth science of a technical major- biochem, mo bio, biomed eng etc- as well as the bredth of knowledge and exposure to various schools of though in nontechnical ones- english, econ, philosophy etc etc. And their clinical exposure, as someone pointed out, wasn't significant and much too cursory to impress an MD. Subsequently, these other majors are popularly viwed as "harder" than nursing and you'd be a fool to think that GPA and strength of major didn't play a role in getting into medical school. If you like the idea of what nurses do, volunteer in some capacity to help out at a hospital. This would supplment a more "solid" major nicely.

Anyone who's about to throw a hissy fit over this please direct all comments to the previous poster. He/she has graciously- though unknowingly- offered to answer the naysayers. 🙂
 
Nursing science classes are not as rigorous as the typical pre-med science classes. That said, most schools don't care how hard the calsses you take are so long as you get straight As and do well on the MCAT.
 
The OP mentioned that he/she would consider a career in nursing if med school didnt work out. In that case, why not take a different major and fulfill the premed requirements. At the same time look into accelerated nursing programs. These run from 1-2 years and are geared towards students whose schools didnt offer nursing programs, or people who want to change careers. They have their own list of prereqs that are required ( many of which intersect with premed requirements ). They are rigorous programs, and many are competitive to get into. My wife is in one right now and it is not for slackers.
 
At my school human pathophysiology was only offered through the college of nursing. I was one of 9 physiology majors in the class and we definitely stuck out. Nursing students want to be nurses and I think if you went around telling everyone you actually want to be a doctor and consider their desired profession as a "back up", they would resent you.

As an aside, the nursing students in this class were way less intense than the psio students. I am not saying every school is like that (or even every nursing student at my school), but they did not try as hard as the pre-meds. I think the competitive, focused environment of a pre-med major may better prepare you for medical school (but what do I know- I'm an M0).
 
As a nurse applying for med school many years after nursing school I can give this advice...

1. nursing programs follow a tight schedule, make sure you can complete all your prerequisites for med school. Otherwise you'll be stuck doing post-bacc work while trying to work/apply.

2. do not underestimate that nurses are very pro-nursing, especially in academia. If you do this, you should be prepared to keep your medical school plans under wraps.

3. As earlier posts have mentioned, there is a profound nursing shortage in the US and the bottle-neck is that there are a very limited number of spots in RN training programs (both AA and BSN). If you do a nursing program, your application to medical school would look incomplete without a recommendation from your advisor or a key faculty member. If they feel that you misrepresented your interest in nursing to get into the program (because you often have to write a "Why Nursing?" essay to get in), they may not write you a great letter. If you shop around the school and can't find someone to write a great letter for you, your application could look incomplete. I worked as a nurse for quite a few years and my advisor was open to listening to me (although she tried to talk me out of going into medicine) and then she agreed to write me a strong letter. Other faculty in the program, however, won't talk to me now. I bring this up to let you know that many nurses in academia have very strongly negative feelings about nurses going into medicine (they want nurses to go the NP or DNP route and be nurse leaders).

Good luck
 
As a nurse applying for med school many years after nursing school I can give this advice...

1. nursing programs follow a tight schedule, make sure you can complete all your prerequisites for med school. Otherwise you'll be stuck doing post-bacc work while trying to work/apply.

2. do not underestimate that nurses are very pro-nursing, especially in academia. If you do this, you should be prepared to keep your medical school plans under wraps.

3. As earlier posts have mentioned, there is a profound nursing shortage in the US and the bottle-neck is that there are a very limited number of spots in RN training programs (both AA and BSN). If you do a nursing program, your application to medical school would look incomplete without a recommendation from your advisor or a key faculty member. If they feel that you misrepresented your interest in nursing to get into the program (because you often have to write a "Why Nursing?" essay to get in), they may not write you a great letter. If you shop around the school and can't find someone to write a great letter for you, your application could look incomplete. I worked as a nurse for quite a few years and my advisor was open to listening to me (although she tried to talk me out of going into medicine) and then she agreed to write me a strong letter. Other faculty in the program, however, won't talk to me now. I bring this up to let you know that many nurses in academia have very strongly negative feelings about nurses going into medicine (they want nurses to go the NP or DNP route and be nurse leaders).

Good luck

Best advice yet. 👍
 
At my school also there's a BIG difference in nursing pre req' vs. pre-med pre reqs. Nursing majors aren't required to take chemistry with chem majors (like pre-meds must) and don't take upper level science classes (like organic chemistry and upper level bio's). Plus, the type of instruction in nursing school is much different from that of a real science class. From what I have heard nursing classes tend to give a lot of medical information with almost no basic science behind it. You'll know a lot of stuff, but almost nothing about WHY things happen or how things are related. For example, the nursing students i've talked to know a lot about certain kinds of drugs, but only on the level of X drug treats Y dissease, not anything about exactly what X drug does. I don't think it'll help you in med school and there are plenty of other ways to get clinical experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In case anyone is wondering after reading this thread, being a bio major isn't going to hurt you any more than have a 30 on the MCAT will hurt you. It won't make you stand out, but it's what the majority of people have done.
 
Because unlike English or economics, a nursing major is vocational training.
Agreed. I've heard that any vocational degree (nursing, audiology, SLP, etc.) is sometimes frowned upon, as it is directly intended for an alternative career path.
 
I'm in the school of nursing and health studies @ my school, specifically in the health studies part. I know that on our website, it says that it is possible to be a nursing major and pre-med. Meaning, although nursing is a vocational major and it is primarily intended for people that want to become nurses, the administration does recognize that some might want to major in nursing and be pre-med as well, and therefore it isn't frowned upon by the very people that are running the nursing school. It's the same as a student in an engineering program, which could be seen as a vocational program, not becoming an engineer.
 
I'm a nurse who graduated a few years ago, applied this cycle and have had 2 acceptances so far. Actually on all of my interviews the interviewers have seen my background as an asset, and never did I feel any hesitation on their part in terms of "poaching" from another health profession. They're just more curious as to insights I've gained as a nurse and how it relates to my interest in going to med school. Obviously if you have absolutely no intention of ever working as a nurse it's not going to really help you, but if you're looking to take off in between undergrad and med school, I really see the experience as eye opening in terms of what medicine is like, and whether you want to be in medicine. Obviously you still need the grades and MCAT scores to boot but otherwise it's definitely not a setback, just whether it's what you want to do.
 
Nursing is a good major if you want to be a nurse. It's not especially good for med school. Biology is the most common, although you can major in almost anything. Maybe double major in bio and another major of your choice.

Hi guys-
Just a little advice from an RN/MD with AdCom experience:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!
Don't be the most common kid on the block- the AdCom folk's eyes tend to glaze over after a while, mine included. At my med school (East coast, very competetive), you looked at apps on your lunch break. Believe me, once the very early apps have been looked over, the rest of them tend to pile up. If you don't have a special feature that makes you stand out, you will end up in the reject pile- seriously, no matter how good your scores are or how much research you have done. So find a way to shine, whether it be EMT, nurse, firefighter, someone with extensive volunteer work in a 3rd world country, etc. Anything that shows you have had serious patient contact and came back for more is extremely helpful. (MD shadowing and volunteer work are also good if you can get into a clinic or hospital and actually provide direct patient care in some capacity).

Regarding the Nursing Major question:
A nursing degree is an excellent springboard for many career choices.
Experienced nurses do very well in med school. Having learned the inner workings of an acute care center and developed a comfort level with patient and family interactions gives you a great advantage and will help you no matter what path you chose in health care.

As far as RNs to MDs: I know several surgeons, an intensivist, a pediatrician, and a radiologist who also started out as nurses and they have done very well in their careers. (They all had at least 2 years of experience). I love pathology and am very happy with my specialty choice as well.

You need to get in the thick of things to see if this is what you really want.
50% of applicants don't get in the first time they apply and have to get post-bac training or other expensive schooling in order to increase their competetive advantage. Even if you are a nurse for only a couple years, you will become more competetive (you will be getting paid VERY WELL instead of accruing more educational debt in the process) and also have time to realize what you really want out of a health care career.

And...... remember that the time demands are vastly different for nurses vs. MDs.

The bottom line:
If that's your plan, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Good luck!
Katrina
__________________
nurse:
 
Nursing is an excellent major in and of itself. However, any major outside the sciences means that you will be completing the medical prereqs on your own which in total almost amount to the load of a minor.

To add to the diificulty of your proposition--nursing is not at all like most majors that allow flexibility in scheduling. It is not just a mjor but a course of professional training complete with a rigorous and time-consuming clinical component.

So it is simultaneously a big plus and perhaps a minus to the degree with which the demands of the major can be carried by your schedule and goals.

For example i would have pursued Nursing if it or I had more flexibility and it didn't require an extra year or two to complete the medical pre-req's as I both work full-time and am 33 years old. For me it wasn't a good option. Only you can decide for you. I would just reiterate the unique nature of the block scheduling of the nursing major as something many underclassmen may or may not be aware of to the proper extent.

I'm with you on that. I figure I can still find work I enjoy with a Biology degree if I don't go into medicine and I don't have to take the extra courses. I'd hate to take an extra 40-50 hours that might not be applicable later.
 
I don't get it. Why would you go to nursing school and then not practice nursing? And can you even be a "nursing" major? I think you can be in a "pre-nursing" program at a 4 year school, but nursing is not an undergrad major is it?
 
I don't get it. Why would you go to nursing school and then not practice nursing? And can you even be a "nursing" major? I think you can be in a "pre-nursing" program at a 4 year school, but nursing is not an undergrad major is it?

There's a bachelor degree for nursing, the BSN. It's actually what the nursing profession is pushing people to get vs. the two year RN. Typically someone interested in nursing does "pre-nursing" type classes (basic science, etc.) before being accepted into the college of nursing and completing all their nursing requirements (both classes and clinical rotations).

I'd recommend going nursing if you know you're just going to apply to medicine at the end of four years anyway. Some nursing programs can be very grueling hours wise with clinicals and classes. Plus, as others have pointed out, there are limited seats in nursing schools. Taking one and then not using it will look "bad form". Plus, nursing diagnosis and nursing management is very different from what doctors do as it focuses more on support and management of the patient, not diagnosis and treatment like doctors. Clinical experience is great, but I'd suggest doing the EMT, CNA/HCT, or shadowing to get it, not being a nurse.
 
i have once been a cna, nurse tech, LPN and now an RN. the quest for more just never stops. the good thing with me trying to go into med school now is i have the experience in an acute setting and like i said...i just quest for more. nursing curriculums are not design to prepare an individual for medical that is why it is pre-nursing and not pre-med. however, many nurses want to further their knowledge as healthcare providers and in my opinion i think it is absolutely wonderful. in every major, there are always pros/cons so as the saying goes "pick and choose your poison." whatever a person decides to choose we all hope for sucess, as for me RN to MD was best for me regardless of how long it will take me to complete the pre-reqs.
have a great day
 
serious patient contact and came back for more is extremely helpful. (MD shadowing and volunteer work are also good if you can get into a clinic or hospital and actually provide direct patient care in some capacity).

right....and how do undergraduate students get to provide direct patient care? that sounds ludicrous especially with all the regulations that hospitals face.

just a heads up, applicants claiming that they've treated patients are probably exaggerating (lying).
 
just a heads up, applicants claiming that they've treated patients are probably exaggerating (lying).[/quote]


LOL. dat statement is kidda true
 
Treating patients in hospitals is illegal unless you are certified to do so with a license.

As for the nursing thing... Why? it won't be very helpful at all and you are just wasting time taking classes that won't help you and you probably won't enjoy that much. So unless you want to go into nursing don't take nursing classes.
 
I don't get it. Why would you go to nursing school and then not practice nursing? And can you even be a "nursing" major? I think you can be in a "pre-nursing" program at a 4 year school, but nursing is not an undergrad major is it?
Uh, of course there is. Nursing is a major the same way biology is a major, and it's offered at probably almost every school that offers basic science majors. All they have to do after graduation is pass the NKLEX and get hired.
 
right....and how do undergraduate students get to provide direct patient care? that sounds ludicrous especially with all the regulations that hospitals face.

just a heads up, applicants claiming that they've treated patients are probably exaggerating (lying).
unless they're in EMS.
 
hiya...

I can't imagine that being a nursing major hurts you in any way...and i think it makes your application stand out... however it is a longer road...

most nursing schools have separate science classes for nurses and biology majors...if you really want a nursing degree...then i would do an acclerated program after finishing a biology or chem degree which allows u to obtain the pre-reqs for med school... I have a BS in bio and a BSN in nursing...and it took 5 years and 2 months to get both degrees...and that solved the whole pre-req problem...however the accelerated programs...aren't easy and are not easy to get accepted into...

if you are a 18 year old who is picking a major in college and definitely wants to become a doctor... I wouldn't pick nursing...not because adcoms don't like nurses because they do, they love nursing...but it adds on another year or two to your college plans because you will still need to take the pre-reqs after getting your BSN...and then i firmly believe that you should work 1-2 years after graduating from school as a RN in order to be able to capitalize on all of the clinical experience you will get...so that means 7- 8 years to apply versus the normal 4...

but with all the being said... i can't imagine that I would have been nearly as succesfull as I have been without the nursing degree and I don't think i would have the drive to become a doctor without the experience gained from nursing...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a nursing student, you'll probably get a lot more clinical experience than most pre-meds ever get, which is valuable. As for stigma against nursing majors at the interview stage - as far as I know, English majors aren't chastised for not becoming writers, and economics majors aren't scolded for not becoming economists. Why should nursing be treated differently from any other major?

I agree with you in principle, but your analogy is wrong. Nursing is a professional program. You are being trained to do a certain job. Econ or English majors are not being specifically trained to become economists or writers. They are learning about the theory in each area, studying the language, etc. It's an important distinction.
 
Reading all the replies aside, I would say this may backfire. The last thing you need is the adcom raking you over the proverbial coals because you got a professional degree and are using it for nothing. Also, based on how my nursing friends are, this would be a "slap in the face" to the nurses out there. You're saying I'll major in nursing, but I won't stay in it. Its a lack of respect, from their POV, for the profession. Also, depending on your program, you will be mentally and physically drained.
 
Reading all the replies aside, I would say this may backfire. The last thing you need is the adcom raking you over the proverbial coals because you got a professional degree and are using it for nothing. Also, based on how my nursing friends are, this would be a "slap in the face" to the nurses out there. You're saying I'll major in nursing, but I won't stay in it. Its a lack of respect, from their POV, for the profession. Also, depending on your program, you will be mentally and physically drained.


This isn't true... being a doctor is a different role in the patient's care and if a nurse decides they like the role of physician better most nurses understand....plenty of nurses become PAs, CNAs and NPs...its just a different role...i personally don't like the idea of being a mid level...

i think the animosity comes into play if the rn/md feels like he or she is too good be a nurse or that this now makes him/her better or smarter than other nurses...

i do agree with the begininng of your post though...if u get a nursing degree and don't use it at all then u may be looked down upon..but if u practice nursing for a year or two and then have a good reason for switching...it may not be that negative...
 
Statisically, nursing majors (and other specialized prehealth majors) have the lowest acceptance rate among med school applicants.
 
Statisically, nursing majors (and other specialized prehealth majors) have the lowest acceptance rate among med school applicants.

What about those of us who work in EMS? I will be a paramedic when I apply to med school. I've met some awesome ER physicians who started out as paramedics.