Is taking the MCAT in July too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a senior in my last semester of undergraduate. I plan on applying this upcoming cycle. I'm taking only 3 classes, which adds up to I think 8 credits. Anyway, I wanted to take retake my MCAT exam on June 18 or July 8...I'm going to be studying for my classes and eventually working as a scribe, so I'm leaning towards July 8. Is that too late?

cgpa: 3.72
sgpa: 3.57

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a senior in my last semester of undergraduate. I plan on applying this upcoming cycle. I'm taking only 3 classes, which adds up to I think 8 credits. Anyway, I wanted to take retake my MCAT exam on June 18 or July 8...I'm going to be studying for my classes and eventually working as a scribe, so I'm leaning towards July 8. Is that too late?

Thank you
Receiving your score around August 8th assuming a typical 4-week turnaround wold be late but not lethally so. What was your old score? Do you have strong reason to believe that those 4 weeks will make a serious difference? If you have taken it once before you should already know how you could improve

Receiving your score around August 8th assuming a typical 4-week turnaround wold be late but not lethally so. What was your old score? Do you have strong reason to believe that those 4 weeks will make a serious difference? If you have taken it once before you should already know how you could improve

Pretty bad. A 499.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reserve it, but don't pull the trigger until your practice scores reflect your aim

Being complete early August is okay, though earlier is obviously better. However, a later high score is better than a lower early score.

Hi all,

Thank you
A combination of 3 classes, working as a scribe and studying may be too much workload to study for the MCAT, especially since you NEED to improve significantly since your first score was low.

Did you start working on your application? Personal statement and works/activities? If not, the best thing for you to do is to take a gap year. I was in the same position as you and ended up postponing my July MCAT to a September mcat, consequently forcing me to take a gap year. This gave me MUCH more time to study for the MCAT as well as write/edit my entire application (which takes a very long time if you have not started). Plus an extra year worth of clinical hours as a scribe would be a huge plus to your apllication. In addition, the gap yearwould give you an oppurtunity to do new activities to improve your application.