Is the Bio AP test worth it?

indianjatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even though I have to take the exam, I was curious if I should put in the extra effort in studying to get a 5. Will the units help me at a UC? Is it a smart move in terms of skipping Bio I at college in order to avoid weeding or should I take it because I will have a VERY firm foundation.

Past experiences will be greatly appreciated.

(Also has anyone taken care of the math requirements with just AP credits).

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember, a 4 is no different than a 5... at least at UCI... and if you're a bio major, all you get is elective credit, which doesn't particularly matter. Plus, you wouldn't want to skip those earlier classes as it is, because they really get you used to the pace of the heavy sciences with material you're already familiar with. The best part of AP Bio is that it gives you such a strong foundation. Also, some health professional schools won't accept AP credit for pre-reqs, IE the year of general bio, so watch out for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see you around CC. xD Have you already gotten into UCI? I'm sure you'll get into UCD as well.

I see you around CC. xD Have you already gotten into UCI? I'm sure you'll get into UCD as well.
Actually I have gotten into UCI! UCD will come out on the 23rd. I will update you on that too. :D :)

Congrats on getting into UCI? If you don't mind me asking, are you from northern of southern California?

Even though I have to take the exam, I was curious if I should put in the extra effort in studying to get a 5. Will the units help me at a UC? Is it a smart move in terms of skipping Bio I at college in order to avoid weeding or should I take it because I will have a VERY firm foundation.

Past experiences will be greatly appreciated.

(Also has anyone taken care of the math requirements with just AP credits).

I personally wouldn't take it. If you take the intro biology classes all over again, they'll be easy A's if you could get a five on the AP test. Buy yourself something nice with the $85 or so you save.

Well I only applied to UCLA, UCI, UCR, UCSD, University of the Pacific, and my home university, CSULB. I got into all of them except UCLA. I think I might end up at CSULB though since financial reasons are a big factor for my family.

Well I only applied to UCLA, UCI, UCR, UCSD, University of the Pacific, and my home university, CSULB. I got into all of them except UCLA. I think I might end up at CSULB though since financial reasons are a big factor for my family.
That's very unfortunate. :( Where ever you go, whether it be CSULB or UCI, I hope you do well and take advantage of all your opportunities. :D

Good luck to you in the future Power of One!

Eh it's not that bad. I'm sure I'll do better at a CSU than at a UC which hopefully will help me when I apply to medical school. I also heard UCD decisions come out on the 23rd. Good luck bro! :]

Taking the AP bio test is really helpful,
I scored a 4, which got me out of Basic biology 1, a friend of mine scored a 5 and tested out of Biology 1 and 2, at another college. So it's probably a good idea to take the test, plus it wouldn't hurt to have the option of skipping the basics and going on to the advanced stuff. Plus, if u score a 5 u probably understand the material well and skipping the basic classes would not be that big of an issue. Plus I got 8 credits which is pretty cool.
I haven't heard about which medical schools don't accept AP credit, which could be kinda alarming.

I would definitely take any AP exams you can and ace them. You will save a ton of time in college, which will let you take classes that you are interested in. It will also leave an opportunity for you to do things such as study abroad (I think everyone should consider this) and take classes that may not transfer back to your home institution.

Considerations:

1. If you work hard enough to earn a 4/5, I wouldn't be concerned with a potential lack of "Grounding" for the MCAT, etc. My AP bio class covered a wider span of material than did the intro bio classes that I sat in on. Dissection of pig was only more detailed.

2. Some medschools simply accept AP credit. Others let you substitute upper-level bio classes (which you might be taking anyway) for the skipped intro bio classes. I haven't heard of medschools that don't accept either option..

Wow! haha, can't believe people bumped up my thread from months ago.

I took the AP test and got a 5 since then, but the credits won't skip me out on the bio series at my school. It will only skip an intro bio course for non-bio majors I believe.