Is the Psych GRE at all important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chez613

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back my Psych GRE scores, and I did great. And i'm really happy:), but at the same time, it seems that some schools don't require/report their data on the psych gre, and it just doesn't seem important. Do these schools not care about it at all? :(

Im coming from a very small college, graduating now and applying this fall, and because its so small, even though i have an almost perfect gpa, i feel like i need all the help from standardized tests i can get.

Do the psych GRE's matter?

Members don't see this ad.

From what i understand, it varies from school to school. Some schools require it (fairleigh), some recommend it (u of minnesota) and some don't even mention it. Its particularly helpful for undergrads who came from a different major and need to demonstrate proficiency with basic psychological concepts. Still, it can't hurt to have a good score on there. And i wouldn't worry about your school being small; unless you come from the very high end of the spectrum (Harvard), or the very low end of the spectrum (online school, U of phoenix etc) undergrad institution name won't count for as much as the other top factors. It's mostly just about how you performed at the college level.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends who you ask, and what types of programs you are shooting for. If you think you can do it, then I would say shooting for the 99%, usually around 790 or 800 is the best. That being said, IMO, 700 and up is good. But I would say do your very best.

It depends who you ask, and what types of programs you are shooting for. If you think you can do it, then I would say shooting for the 99%, usually around 790 or 800 is the best. That being said, IMO, 700 and up is good. But I would say do your very best.

I think for doctoral clinical/counseling/school programs, 700+ is considered good and wouldn't hurt your application, except for at the top programs that can see means as high as like 760.

I believe it can become particularly useful/important if you didn't major in psych, as programs may then use it as a proxy for your general level of psych knowledge/preparedness.

Beyond that, as others have said, it'll likely vary from program to program. It's probably not going to be as important as most other parts of the application (e.g., GRE, letters of rec, research experience, SOP), but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a good score on it.